I know this has been debated before but I was wondering if there was any definitive answer with regards to BB10 specifically, as to which email method is the most power hungry? Because BB10 obviously does not use BIS like the old legacy devices.

"Is that a Blackberry Z30 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!?" Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    11-06-14 04:29 PM
    Strange question. They are different things.
    And you want to have both

"Push" enables you to be warned as soon as you receive a new email. "Sync" enables the email's status on your phone to be synchronised (read, delete, moved to another folder, ...).

So, it's better to keep Push enabled and set the Sync as you want. The default 30 minutes is pretty good. No need to make this interval shorter, except if you work simultaneously on more than one client (desktop and mobile for example). However, if your network is really bad, better to set it to manual.
    11-06-14 04:37 PM
    Strange question. They are different things.
    And you want to have both

"Push" enables you to be warned as soon as you receive a new email. "Sync" enables the email's status on your phone to be synchronised (read, delete, moved to another folder, ...).
    Ah I see!

Well BB10 doesn't allow both simultaneously but would it be fair to say that push would be less resource hungry if it does not need to carry out sync actions via the data connection?

I'm confused though because even when I have it set to push mode when I log into my email via computer the emails are all shown as 'read' if I viewed them already on my blackberry meaning that some level of synchronisation takes place even in push mode?

EDIT:
    It only let's me set a sync interval if push is off... (I'm a bit confused!)
    "Is that a Blackberry Z30 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!?" Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    11-06-14 04:45 PM
    I just checked a number of accounts that are push enabled. All have sync enabled as well.

Push will only deliver new mail. Syncing can do that too, but it is also used for everything else: contacts, calendar, filing, deletion.

As to which is more battery efficient, it will depend on your situation. For most people push will be far more efficient, but if you are getting a large email every few minutes constantly through the day, periodically polling by turning off push would be more efficient. You might not be happy with the results though.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 05:05 PM
    EDIT:
    It only let's me set a sync interval if push is off... (I'm a bit confused!)
    You can have both.
    Email Push Vs Sync-img_20141106_232238.png
    Seems you have an issue, either with your mail server, either with... well, is it your phone from work ? If so, contact your BES Admin there.
    11-06-14 05:26 PM
    You can have both.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141106_232238.png 
Views:	391 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	312687
    Seems you have an issue, either with your mail server, either with... well, is it your phone from work ? If so, contact your BES Admin there.
    I figured something out. I can have push and still set a sync for my Gmail account (same as you have shown) but I cannot do this with my 2 Hotmail accounts where the options are slightly different. Hotmail does not allow you to choose a sync interval when you have push enabled - the sync drop down just says 'manual' and is greyed out so you can't configure it.

Gmail has 'use push if available' (on/off) switch and Hotmail simply has 'push' (on/off) switch. It's obviously down to the particular company/server that the email is with that determines it.

11-07-14 10:44 AM