03-31-15 01:32 PM
112 ... 345
tools
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Well theoretically on your Outlook.com account you will be able to keep emails visible on the device indefinitely, since it uses EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) as a connection method. (Which is Microsoft's own protocol) You can change that setting on previously setup accounts in the advanced email settings, it's called "Sync Timeframe".

Keep in mind that trying to sync folders with many thousands of messages to a mobile device is not a particularly good idea for various reasons. If you're going to try the "forever" option, I strongly suggest only syncing folders you really need, and keep the message counts in those folders reasonable.

For Gmail, on a BB10 device using OS version 10.1, you should be able to see up to 90 days of history. However you cannot set that setting on a previously-configured IMAP account (IMAP is the email protocol Gmail uses for its "free" services), you have to set it during account setup. The setting is "Initial Retrieval Amount". (There is a possibility it will "just work" with a previously configured account prior to the 10.1 update, but I don't have 10.1 here so I can't test that.)

You can always search for messages that are stored/synced locally on the device, ie messages up to the "maximum age". Beyond that, there is a remote search capability. That depends on the email protocol and whether the server side supports it.

In theory, EAS connections support remote search, but it has to be enabled on the server side. Anecdotally, I have not been able to get this to work on Outlook.com. It may not be enabled by Microsoft.

Blackberry 10 devices at the current time do not support remote search for IMAP accounts. (Some IMAP servers support remote search, but many do not, and it can be extremely resource-intensive for that feature so some IMAP email administrators have the feature disabled.)
    05-26-13 08:55 PM
    Honestly, this whole 30, 60, 90, forever day thing would not be an issue for me, as long as I'm able to SAVE emails on my device. Heck, I can even live without remote search, but not being able to save emails is currently the only reason I haven't upgraded my 9900 to a Q10.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    05-27-13 05:45 AM
    Honestly, this whole 30, 60, 90, forever day thing would not be an issue for me, as long as I'm able to SAVE emails on my device. Heck, I can even live without remote search, but not being able to save emails is currently the only reason I haven't upgraded my 9900 to a Q10.

Yep, it would be nice. Pity is that you can "sort of" save messages by "flagging" them (and then they get copied to "Remember"), but then for some silly reason the device then deletes them from Remember as soon as they expire from the Hub.

All that would be needed is one simple change, which allowed users to set a message to "flag forever" or "remember indefinitely" or "save" -- using precisely the same mechanism already present in the "flag emails to Remember" function, and boom, problem solved. It would make a lot of people happy.
    quik4life likes this.
    05-27-13 05:12 PM
    The problem seems to be as much the fault of the ignorant consumer as it is of Blackberry. Do a little homework. Were you one of the first iPhone buyers? Remember no apps for over a year? Remember all the other bugs? Antennagate or whatever it was called.

BB will sort it out. The carriers have to do their part of certification.

This is a site for Blackberry addicts, which has been taken over by cry babies and arm chair quarterbacks that think they know how to run Blackberry better than Blackberry does.

Guess what? None of you do. It is an issue. they are working on it. They will fix it.

Who are these 'negative nellies' that slap me kindly?
    05-28-13 09:36 PM
    Omnitech I appreciate the clarification. It's confusing and I know it's frustrating when people make negative comments out of ignorance and make such big deals about tweets they don't even know how to interpret.

BB10 is awesome. Love the Z10, but waiting for the Q10 to hit the US. Hopefully some of these bugs will be worked out by then. But even so, haters gonna hate.
    05-28-13 10:07 PM
    But even so, haters gonna hate.

Yep, and there's no shortage of those in the USA. I have some theories why it is so over-the-top negative about Blackberries here. I think there are some other factors at play other than simply the product and its quality.
    05-28-13 11:36 PM
    Yep, and there's no shortage of those in the USA. I have some theories why it is so over-the-top negative about Blackberries here. I think there are some other factors at play other than simply the product and its quality.
    Cool. *Goes and gets tinfoil hat and popcorn*
    bobauckland and JeepBB like this.
    05-29-13 12:00 AM
    I thought this is a site for people who own a BlackBerry or are interested in purchasing one. I also don't see a problem with criticism when it is justified. And yes the first iphone had problems but no one wants to buy a smartphone today that has problems of a 6 year old phone. Times have changed and expectations are higher now. BlackBerry wants to compete with Samsung and apple. Only die hard BlackBerry addicts won't keep this company alive.

Sent from my Q10
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    05-29-13 03:19 AM
    it's for people addicted to blackberry. do you not understand what "crack" even means? i think this phone is ahead of the competition, not 6 years behind. the iPhone won't even push gmail. i would rather have push and 30 day limits than having to wait every 15 minutes for an email notification.

non push email...yeah that's high tech.

I thought this is a site for people who own a BlackBerry or are interested in purchasing one. I also don't see a problem with criticism when it is justified. And yes the first iphone had problems but no one wants to buy a smartphone today that has problems of a 6 year old phone. Times have changed and expectations are higher now. BlackBerry wants to compete with Samsung and apple. Only die hard BlackBerry addicts won't keep this company alive.

Sent from my Q10
    05-29-13 08:43 PM
    Well you have to have endure more complaining sorry. I have no problem pointing out the many good aspects of the q10 or z10, which I mentioned in my review threads. But think I have every right to complain about obvious problems.

Sent from my Q10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-30-13 05:34 AM
    Sorry to bump this old thread!
    But is there any updates with the 10.3?
    03-31-15 11:03 AM
    Sorry to bump this old thread!
    But is there any updates with the 10.3?
    Updates regarding what?

This thread was so old that most of what's discussed was solved in 10.2 and 10.2.1 a year and a half ago.

Quick recap - both IMAP and Exchange (EAS) accounts can keep emails up to "forever". Only pop3 accounts still have a limit - 90 days at the most, I think.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 01:32 PM
112 ... 345