There have been many threads that have covered the issue of the 30-day limit for "sync timeframe" on Blackberry 10 for Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) and IMAP email account types.

As many of you know, OS version 10.1 (shipping now on the new Q10 model, to be available for the Z10 within weeks depending on carrier) eliminates this limit for EAS accounts, but not for IMAP accounts.

Up until now I hadn't seen any specific references to changes for non-EAS accounts, but just discovered that Michael Clewley (Director, Handheld Software Product Management at RIM/Blackberry) had sent out a tweet on 4/21 that addressed this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelClewley/s...64126121783296

ActiveSync will be forever, IMAP 90 days. POP and IMAP will get forever in a summer update
    Attached Thumbnails Email history >30 days in Blackberry 10 (Official)-capture.png  
    Last edited by Omnitech; 04-27-13 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added text version of Clewley tweet
    04-27-13 04:02 PM
    So in other words still limited for everyone using Gmail on a new device.
    To be fair, Outlook is looking pretty attractive at the moment...
    04-27-13 04:30 PM
    So in other words still limited for everyone using Gmail on a new device.
    To be fair, Outlook is looking pretty attractive at the moment...

Gmail still supports EAS for PAID accounts. But bear in mind, Microsoft only licenses the EAS technology, does not dictate how any particular implementation works. Google loves to throw proprietary stuff into their implementations of "open standards".
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    04-27-13 04:35 PM
    Will either EAS or IMAP have support for remote search or will it be strictly on-device?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 05:15 PM
    Gmail still supports EAS for PAID accounts. But bear in mind, Microsoft only licenses the EAS technology, does not dictate how any particular implementation works. Google loves to throw proprietary stuff into their implementations of "open standards".
    This is true.
    Whatever happened to 'don't be evil'
    04-27-13 05:16 PM
    90 days is much better than 30 anyway. Happy to at least see that much for now.

I think my curve actually only had 180 days maximum unless I specifically saved a conversation. For email anyway - it seemed to have forever for bbm.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 05:17 PM
    Will either EAS or IMAP have support for remote search or will it be strictly on-device?

BB10 already supports remote search via EAS, I haven't heard of any plans re: IMAP and remote search.

My understanding is that IMAP remote search support varies quite a bit depending on the IMAP server implementation, in some cases being very inefficient and resource-intensive for the server.

That could be why Blackberry didn't include support for it right away.
    04-27-13 05:19 PM
    Whatever happened to 'don't be evil'

They appear to have abandoned that promise years ago.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    04-27-13 05:19 PM
    Well, IMAP will get forever in summer update, so at least salvation is on hand. Anyway, so will we be able to sync all of our mails dating back to the day we opened the account?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 10:22 PM
    Well, IMAP will get forever in summer update, so at least salvation is on hand. Anyway, so will we be able to sync all of our mails dating back to the day we opened the account?

Perhaps, but be careful what you wish for. There's a reason that none of this stuff defaults to "forever" by default. Here's one example of someone who found out the hard way:

I have been one that has wanted to see the 30 day limit go away. [...]

Well 10.1 leak has taken it to the opposite and I am now finding that I had mail in my inbox and sent back to 2008! Clean up into archive before you go to these settings!

I am slowly cleaning up on both sides rather than re-doing my enterprise activation but it does seem to be having trouble with this much mail. I don't expect it to deal with this much as outlook itself struggles.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    04-28-13 02:40 AM
    Is Active Sync going to get other email retention options in BB10.1 between 30 days and forever?

OS 7 had 60, 90, 120, 150, and 180 days.

Choice is good!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-28-13 06:14 AM
    Is Active Sync going to get other email retention options in BB10.1 between 30 days and forever?

OS 7 had 60, 90, 120, 150, and 180 days.

Choice is good!

Not that I know of, the screenshots I've seen went from 30 days to "forever".

Which is the way the major competition does it as well, as far as I know. I know that's how the iOS and Android devices I've seen both work.
    04-28-13 06:59 AM
    Not that I know of, the screenshots I've seen went from 30 days to "forever".

Which is the way the major competition does it as well, as far as I know. I know that's how the iOS and Android devices I've seen both work.
    Oh man, so it's going to be either not enough email on our phones or way too much!

Just because the competition does it that way doesn't mean BlackBerry shouldn't do it better and give the user more choice.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-28-13 08:18 AM
    Screw Gmail. Fighting with MS and hurting their customers. I made the switch from Gmail to Outlook. Don't like backward steps especially when it comes to technology.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 10:16 AM
    How does Android phones handle the EAS/IMAP? If one has a free gmail account and has an android phone, do they get EAS and unlimited? Or do they also have IMAP and 30 day limit? (or some comibination)

Thank you
    04-28-13 11:01 AM
    I get Unlimited and IMAP. I don't have the EAS option on my GMail.
    Android, 4.2.2 SGS3.
    04-28-13 11:15 AM
    I particularly want the forever option for calendar entries. Having a blank calendar from 30 days back is very very irritating. Thought I'd try the Link desktop Outlook sync, but that is limited to 30 days too.

Bah.
    04-28-13 04:26 PM
    What I don't understand is I am using IMAP for my GMail on my iPhone 5 with OS 6 and I can see my emails past thirty days and I can also see all my emails, unlike the z10 which only let me view the ones that where created or edited in the z10? This clearly is a software issue on Blackberrys end and not a google issue.
    04-28-13 05:42 PM
    Oh man, so it's going to be either not enough email on our phones or way too much!

Just because the competition does it that way doesn't mean BlackBerry shouldn't do it better and give the user more choice.

Like clockwork around here, people gripe gripe gripe for months that some feature is missing, and then when Blackberry ultimately gives them that feature, they find something else about it that they don't like, rather than show a little appreciation.

Can't win around here.

(As far as I'm concerned - and probably this is why the other devices do it this way - MOST people should have that setting set to 30 days or less, to make the performance optimal. Instead of trying to manage your mailbox via silly mechanisms like fine-grained sync periods that inevitably you will regret when something you really want/need exceeds that timeout by 1 day, people really should be managing it the right way, by not leaving all their messages in one gargantuan inbox, and actually FILE things.)
    04-28-13 06:23 PM
    I'd rather have remote search support than all my emails on the phone. This way I don't have to worry about my 5000+emails clogging up my phone and just focus on the couple of emails I want to see. This is the best compromise between reliability efficiency and the ability to have all emails on hand.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 06:28 PM
    I'd rather have remote search support than all my emails on the phone. This way I don't have to worry about my 5000+emails clogging up my phone and just focus on the couple of emails I want to see. This is the best compromise between reliability efficiency and the ability to have all emails on hand.

Agreed. Also, many syncing email devices do not actually attempt a sync until a particular folder is opened on the syncing device. Since most folders on a complex hierarchical mail store will probably never be opened, this can be a reasonable trade-off. (My main email application's mail store contains something like 800 folders.)

Another way to minimize overhead is by giving users tweakable settings like allowing them to sync only headers, or headers and message bodies without attachments, or entire messages.

BB10 does not offer such a choice, but that doesn't particularly surprise me since it seems apparent to me that they are trying to streamline Blackberry 10 to act more like an iPhone than a traditional Blackberry with all sorts of arcane settings that just confuse most people. (Personally I like such choices, but by the same token I can understand why Blackberry is designing the product the way they are. Their competitors walked all over them the past few years in part because they were easier to understand than a Blackberry, that much is apparent.)
    waterfrontmgmt likes this.
    04-28-13 07:27 PM
    people really should be managing it the right way, by not leaving all their messages in one gargantuan inbox, and actually FILE things.)
    Have you been able to test when emails are filed away, will they be accessible via the Z10, or will they be deleted past the current 30 days. (Sorry if this is an unfair question because I think your Z10 is short of 30 days at this moment) Thanks in advance.
    04-28-13 11:32 PM
    Have you been able to test when emails are filed away, will they be accessible via the Z10, or will they be deleted past the current 30 days. (Sorry if this is an unfair question because I think your Z10 is short of 30 days at this moment) Thanks in advance.
    I setup an EAS account on my Z10 for the primary purpose of testing that, but it's not been quite 30 days yet. Looks like shortly after the 30 days passes, 10.1 with >30 day sync timeframe will likely become available on my carrier...

In theory you can always use remote search to find messages older than the "sync timeframe", but that feature availability and functionality depends on the server side being capable and configured to support it.
    04-29-13 12:18 AM
    They've given themselves quite a berth with "Summer". That could mean mid September.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-29-13 07:52 AM
    What I don't understand is I am using IMAP for my GMail on my iPhone 5 with OS 6 and I can see my emails past thirty days and I can also see all my emails, unlike the z10 which only let me view the ones that where created or edited in the z10? This clearly is a software issue on Blackberrys end and not a google issue.
    When I send an email via my Gmail account on my computer, my Z10 shows the sent email. This feature works.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 08:03 AM
112 123 ...