Always interesting to me how they worded that for IMAP accounts. It's not technically saying that it will not sync messages older than 30 days, just that it will not initially retrieve any more than 30 day old messages. (Though in practice according to my experience with 10.0.x.x, it does seem to limit the set of visible messages to ~30 day history)
    Your apologetics for Blackberry are embarrassing.

Clewley tweet re 10.1:
    ActiveSync will be forever, ****IMAP 90 days*****. POP and IMAP will get forever in a summer update

PS: Edit the now humourous title of this thread.
    (Official) indeed. LOL
    05-03-13 07:15 PM
    On my Q10 (can find OS version if helpful) IMAP has a maximal initial retrieval period as 30 days still.
    Wow. IMAP still at 30 days in 10.1. Thanks for the info. After the Saunders tweet saying Skype would be available for the Z10 at the US release (still not released...), I assumed Clewley would be truthful regarding his promise of IMAP to 90 days.

Clewley tweet re 10.1:
    ActiveSync will be forever, ****IMAP 90 days*****. POP and IMAP will get forever in a summer update
    Last edited by membrane chemist; 05-03-13 at 07:56 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-03-13 07:18 PM
    I don't get why can't they just make it forever but set it to only download the headers with the option to download the whole email on per need basis.

How can it be so hard to do this? Why is this not a priority is simply baffling.

And they still haven't fixed the smtp bug which is simply unbelievable to be for BlackBerry, the phone most people think if email as soon as they hear it.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 02:30 AM
    I don't get why can't they just make it forever but set it to only download the headers with the option to download the whole email on per need basis.

How can it be so hard to do this? Why is this not a priority is simply baffling.

And they still haven't fixed the smtp bug which is simply unbelievable to be for BlackBerry, the phone most people think if email as soon as they hear it.

Posted via CB10
    It would make sense, and wouldn't seem too difficult if they wanted to do it. Question is, why don't they want to do it?

This is the new inclusive, caring Blackberry. Remember?
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 02:58 AM
    Yeah, agreed. I hope this improves actually, as happy as I am. Blackberry can't afford to leave the email settings lacklustre

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:46 AM
    Your apologetics for Blackberry are embarrassing.

Your apparent need to view Blackberry as the Bad Guy is apparent. And now the usual negative nellies around here, who can't ever seem to make a positive comment about the company (but who nonetheless can't seem to give up Crackberry) are now your back-slapping buddies. Misery loves company.
    05-04-13 01:26 PM

Clearly there are many things about Blackberry which are "baffling" to you. Which is why you seem to be one of their most incessant critics around here.

I doubt the sync decision has anything to do with "difficulty", more likely a matter of making the device simpler to use.

And they still haven't fixed the smtp bug

Which SMTP bug? If it's the one I think you are referring to, you are wrong.
    05-04-13 01:29 PM
    90 days is much better than 30 anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, 90 days would have been an improvement in 10.1 and Clewley did indeed promise that. Unfortunately this promise wasn't kept. IMAP is still at 30 in 10.1 as shown by the Q10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 02:29 PM
    Your apparent need to view Blackberry as the Bad Guy is apparent. And now the usual negative nellies around here, who can't ever seem to make a positive comment about the company (but who nonetheless can't seem to give up Crackberry) are now your back-slapping buddies. Misery loves company.
    You do realize that your post added absolutely nothing to this discussion don't you? It was simply a clumsily veiled personal attack. Who are these 'negative nellies' that slap me kindly?

Blackberry is not a Guy, it is a corporation. This particular corporation has a rather unfortunate history of failing to meet promises made by management. Two very recent examples are Skype on Z10 at the US release (Saunders promise) and IMAP to 90 days for 10.1 (Clewley). You may not be familiar with the first one I mentioned (I can dig up the tweet if you like), but you are most certainly aware of the second as you quoted it in the initial post of this thread.

I think making excuses for the failed promises of a company as you tried to do above for the lack of IMAP 90 days is not helpful.

Apologists such as yourself do harm to the company in the long run by allowing management to repeatedly fail to meet clear promises without consequence. Being able to access only the most recent 30 days of IMAP emails is a major liability for the platform.

Fix the thread title. The 'official' is misleading as the promise of IMAP to 90 days in the Clewley tweet you quoted clearly did not happen. I suggest changing 'official' to 'another broken promise'. Perhaps that will in some small way put pressure on Blackberry to do what they promised, with the resultant benefit to users of the platform.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 02:48 PM
    You do realize that your post added absolutely nothing to this discussion don't you? It was simply a clumsily veiled personal attack.
    I add lots of value to the thread, it's MY thread, and I've posted lots of "value" here. You do realize that the comment you found so "offensive" was simply a response to your unprovoked personal attack on me, right?

Oh, right. Selective memory. Now run along until such time you can do something other than pick fights with the thread creator.
    05-04-13 03:49 PM
    Clearly there are many things about Blackberry which are "baffling" to you. Which is why you seem to be one of their most incessant critics around here.

I doubt the sync decision has anything to do with "difficulty", more likely a matter of making the device simpler to use.

I know you actually feel you have BlackBerry's best interests in mind.
    But statements like the above really don't help. At all.
    You're trying to pass off a major limiting flaw, as a 'feature'.
    Making things simpler. It's not. Not for people that use their devices for work related activity, or want choices.

Your posting habits, and your thread titles, including this one, and you self promotion of your threads, opens you up to criticisms. Quite justly.

I know you have BlackBerry's interests at heart, and I know you're fairly intelligent. so I hope you take some of the above on board. If you don't it's your choice, but it would be a shame.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 03:53 PM
    I add lots of value to the thread, it's MY thread, and I've posted lots of "value" here. You do realize that the comment you found so "offensive" was simply a response to your unprovoked personal attack on me, right?

Oh, right. Selective memory. Now run along until such time you can do something other than pick fights with the thread creator.
    Thread creator does not bestow special powers on people.
    Does it?
    Crikey I better start making some threads.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 03:56 PM

Here is your post which I quoted and responded to again:
    Omnitech:
    "Your apparent need to view Blackberry as the Bad Guy is apparent. And now the usual negative nellies around here, who can't ever seem to make a positive comment about the company (but who nonetheless can't seem to give up Crackberry) are now your back-slapping buddies. Misery loves company."

That post added nothing of value to this discussion. I stand by that statement. Again, it is nothing more than a clumsily veiled attempt at a personal insult.

You also make the ridiculous claim that you only made that attack because it, "was simply a response to your unprovoked personal attack on me".

I made no such personal attack. After your attempt to excuse the failure to extend IMAP to 90 days in 10.1, I said that "your apologetics are embarrassing". They are. They most definitely are.

Here are your apologetics again:
    "It's not technically saying that it will not sync messages older than 30 days, just that it will not initially retrieve any more than 30 day old messages. (Though in practice according to my experience with 10.0.x.x, it does seem to limit the set of visible messages to ~30 day history)"

Your apologetics are embarrassing. That is not an attack on you, it is a comment on the quality of your argument.

I'll let your insult pass this time, but in future confine your comments to the issues at hand, not my personality and mood.

Edit the thread title. It is misleading for the reasons I have given at the end of my previous post.
    Last edited by membrane chemist; 05-04-13 at 04:35 PM. Reason: "thread title" not "post title"
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 04:31 PM
    You're trying to pass off a major limiting flaw, as a 'feature'.

I did not "pass off" anything to anyone. I suggest you stop going around picking fights with people and stick to stating your opinions.

Making things simpler. It's not. Not for people that use their devices for work related activity, or want choices.
    Stating "facts" not in evidence.

Your posting habits, and your thread titles, including this one, and you self promotion of your threads, opens you up to criticisms. Quite justly.

Only to people who like to pick fights with others.

...so I hope you take some of the above on board. If you don't it's your choice, but it would be a shame.

Misery loves company.

Crikey I better start making some threads.
    Perhaps it would be a more constructive use of your time than constantly going around picking fights with people.

Is this where I put in the patronizing part about "taking some of the above on board"?
    05-04-13 04:38 PM
    After your attempt to excuse the failure to extend IMAP to 90 days in 10.1, I said that "your apologetics are embarrassing". They are. They most definitely are.

Number 1, your comment was a personal attack.

Number 2, so much for your "failure" argument:

Just done the advanced IMAP set up for GMail with 90 days set, but this only appears to apply to email.
    With going into advanced after the password screen. And choosing 90

FYI: I myself had to redo my mail. As the first time it only synced for 30. (probably cause I interrupted it during syncing). But the second time. All back to normal. And 90 across the board.
    Well there is hdr, pin messaging, whatapps integration to hub, 90 days email sync, improvement on keyboard, bug fixes

Edit the thread title. It is misleading for the reasons I have given at the end of my previous post.

I will do no such thing. Thanks for playing.
    05-04-13 04:43 PM
    I did not "pass off" anything to anyone. I suggest you stop going around picking fights with people and stick to stating your opinions.

Stating "facts" not in evidence.

Only to people who like to pick fights with others.

Misery loves company.

Perhaps it would be a more constructive use of your time than constantly going around picking fights with people.

Is this where I put in the patronizing part about "taking some of the above on board"?
    Sigh. I had a feeling you'd take that option.
    Oh well.
    - You did pass off a flaw as a feature, saying limiting email sync timeframes to 30 days made things simple, and it was that that may have influenced BlackBerry's decision.
    - Re picking fights, I'm not the one going around calling everyone negative nellies and generally being difficult.
    - Everyone here is stating an opinion. I don't start threads passing my opinion off as fact with misleading or inaccurate information, then push those threads across the forum. You do. This one is one of them.

Anyway, carry on, life is too nice to waste time arguing with you.
    JeepBB and kevinnugent like this.
    05-04-13 04:50 PM
    Number 1, your comment was a personal attack.

Number 2, so much for your "failure" argument:

I will do no such thing. Thanks for playing.
    Number 1:
    Again. As I clearly explained above, *I made no personal attack* against you. If you think I did, please press "report" and a mod can weigh in. I have chosen to let you off with a warning following your insult, but you are in no way obligated to do the same. The problem with that of course is that I made no personal attack. Your apologetics regarding 10.1 are embarrassing. You may be personally embarrassing as well, but I have no way of knowing that and would certainly not comment on your personal traits either way. We, theoretically anyway, are here to debate ideas.

Number 2, as you appropriately label "failure":
    You posted 3 links, presumably to bolster your argument that defending Clewleys tweet regarding 90 days on IMAP was appropriate. Unfortunately for you, you failed to notice the thread titles. More issues with thread titles for you. Who would have thought it?

Whitbags
    Has a leaked unofficial 10.1 build running on a *Z10*
    Thread title is "Leaked Full OS 10.1.0.1627 for *z10* stl100-1,2,3"
    -Toss that one. No released 10.1 on Z10.

Wigley458
    Has a leaked unofficial 10.1 build running on a *Z10*.
    Thread title is "Leaked Full OS 10.1.0.1627 for *z10* stl100-1,2,3"
    -Toss that one too. No released 10.1 on Z10

Danielck78
    Claims to have an unreleased 10.1 build running on a *Z10*. Thread title is "OS 10.1 on *Z10*"
    -Three strikes you are out. You know why right?

As you are probably aware, 10.1 has not been released for the Z10. Features claimed by some in the unreleased version, eg 90 days for IMAP, may or may not make it to the release version. The only released version of 10.1 is found on the Q10. Lets take a look at post 49:
    "*On my Q10 (can find OS version if helpful) IMAP has a maximal initial retrieval period as 30 days still.*"

Going on what is released now, the only logical way to look at it in my opinion, *there is no 90 days on IMAP for 10.1*

Or are you going to claim Clewley meant he was talking about beta releases?

Simple facts:
    1. 10.1 has been released (on the Q10). It does not have 90 days for IMAP.
    2. Clewleys tweet promise that 90 days for IMAP would come with 10.1 was not kept.
    3. Your continued efforts to avoid those facts, up to and including:

-your "technically" and "initially" comments so thoroughly and repeatedly documented above
    -your referencing unreleased leaks of 10.1 on the Z10 in a desperate search for support

are really starting to amuse.

I would ask you to change the thread title for the third time but, "you will do no such thing".

LOL
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 06:13 PM
    Methinks thou doth protest too much.

90 days for IMAP is/will be available for 10.1. Clewley never specified "Q10", and in fact this post was not labeled "10.1" either.

Next.

LOL indeed.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    05-04-13 06:37 PM

90 days for IMAP is/will be available for 10.1. Clewley never specified "Q10", and in fact this post was not labeled "10.1" either.

Next.

LOL indeed.
    I am not protesting, I am simply discussing the facts surrounding the delayed release of IMAP 90 days. You, on the other hand, appear to be vigorously protesting against those same facts.

Omnitech:
    "90 days *is* available on 10.1."

Really? You are going to try to say that? Listen carefully. IMAP 90 days is not available on 10.1. Really, it isn't. Unless you are going to count reports of this feature on leaked betas. I don't think even you would try this. You are full of surprises though.

A direct question to you Omnitech:
    Is your statement "90 days is available on 10.1" the truth or a lie?

Omnitech:
    "90 days *will be* available on 10.1"

I would ask if you are new around here, but with thousands of posts it simply can't be the case.

"Will be"? Cue the Blackberry "soon" jokes. Going further than "may be" would be less than... prudent given recent, heck throw in ancient, history with RIM. Oh right. You are the fellow who claims that "90 days is available on 10.1" *right now*!

And then things get really weird.

Omnitech:
    "and in fact this post was not labeled '10.1' either."

No, and if the thread title was all that there was, you might have some wriggle room. Unfortunately for you, you chose to quote the Clewley tweet.

@Clewley: Wasn't clear exactly what was coming. More than 30 as in 60 or 90 or will *10.1* have the "never delete" option.

Clewley response: ActiveSync will be forever, *IMAP 90 days*. POP and IMAP will get forever in a summer update.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 08:54 PM
    *LOL*

Keep going, it's entertaining.
    CMcRob likes this.
    05-04-13 09:05 PM
    *LOL*

Keep going, it's entertaining.
    Yes, it certainly is entertaining, but not for the reasons you may believe.

The tweet said the 30-day limit would be removed in OS10.1. OS10.1 came with the Q10. The Q10, it seems, still has that 30-day limit.

Is your "OS10.1 doesn't mean Q10" bluster meant to be taken seriously?

If Clewley had meant "it'll be fixed as one of the updates to 10.1", then he should have been clearer.
    05-05-13 04:18 AM

Next.

LOL indeed.
    At this rate I wonder if we'll ever see OS10.1

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:40 AM

The SMTP bug that doesn't let me email attachments or reply to emails, when was that fixed because somebody forgot to tell my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:44 AM
    Yes, 90 days would have been an improvement in 10.1 and Clewley did indeed promise that. Unfortunately this promise wasn't kept. IMAP is still at 30 in 10.1 as shown by the Q10.
    And how do you know this promise wasn't kept? As far as I can tell no one has actually had their Q10 for 90 days. The initial sync may be 30 days but the emails may remain on the device for 90 days.

I have one email account that when I loaded it I only synced for 7 days. Doesn't mean it only keeps the emails for 7 days.

Posted via CB10
    Jonny-R likes this.
    05-05-13 09:39 AM
    They've given themselves quite a berth with "Summer". That could mean mid September.

Posted via CB10
    This has been traditional RIM practice, seems to have come to BlackBerry.....
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-05-13 10:25 AM
112 12345