Call me crazy but this was a feature that I like a lot.

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't the suggestions that were the problem - it was the inability to delete unwanted ones (old addresses, spam addresses, mis-typed addresses and so on).
    09-01-14 03:38 AM
    It wasn't the suggestions that were the problem - it was the inability to delete unwanted ones (old addresses, spam addresses, mis-typed addresses and so on).
    You were certainly able to delete them. Not directly but by removing the emails that contained the address you didn't want. As soon as those email were no longer available to the device the addressee stop appearing in the list.

Not much spam gets through my filters, a handful a moth. I delete them and there associated address are never suggested.

Edit:

Limiting suggestions to only those addresses in contacts makes the whole thing pretty much useless. Finding email addresses in the contact lists is easy, finding transient addresses is more difficult. A lot of my traffic is with people I don't need on my contact list. They're only corresponds for a short time on specific subjects. But having the device suggest them when I'm communicating on those subjects until all their messages age off the phone is incredibly time saving.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 07:25 AM
    Double post

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 07:32 AM
    You were certainly able to delete them. Not directly but by removing the emails that contained the address you didn't want. As soon as those email were no longer available to the device the addressee stop appearing in the list.

Not much spam gets through my filters, a handful a moth. I delete them and there associated address are never suggested.

Edit:

Limiting suggestions to only those addresses in contacts makes the whole thing pretty much useless. Finding email addresses in the contact lists is easy, finding transient addresses is more difficult. A lot of my traffic is with people I don't need on my contact list. They're only corresponds for a short time on specific subjects. But having the device suggest them when I'm communicating on those subjects until all their messages age off the phone is incredibly time saving.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but that isn't true. ANY email address that is sent at any point from this device, and ANY address that emails this device, is stored and can't be deleted.

Even Blackberry acknowledges this - have a look at this Knowledge Base entry: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    09-01-14 07:53 AM
    Sorry, but that isn't true. ANY email address that is sent at any point from this device, and ANY address that emails this device, is stored and can't be deleted.

Even Blackberry acknowledges this - have a look at this Knowledge Base entry: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    And if you accidentally send an email to, let's say, [email protected], instead of "hotmail.com", whenever you compose an email with the letters "joe" in the future, the mis-spelt email will pop up as a suggestion - and there's no way to delete it.
    09-01-14 07:59 AM
    I truly hope this had been corrected. As every email I received and I get a lot of junk mail, was being automatically added to my email auto suggest drop down box .. I so hope in 10.3 it only suggests emails we have in our contact list or emails we actually respond to.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 09:38 AM
    And if you accidentally send an email to, let's say, [email protected], instead of "hotmail.com", whenever you compose an email with the letters "joe" in the future, the mis-spelt email will pop up as a suggestion - and there's no way to delete it.
    But this is exactly what happened to me. I entered an address incorrectly into my contacts. Even after I corrected it in contacts it would continue to show up. But after I removed all email with that address from the device the addressee went away.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:25 AM

Nothing in that KB article says the list is not updated as time goes on.

On the 27th I got spam from "Coring [email protected]". I deleted it from the device and that addresses is not suggested even if I type the whole thing in.

You just have to get them off the device, next time the list is rebuilt they will be gone. If they keep coming back, search for them, I bet you'll find an email in a folder that is synced.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:31 AM
    I'm curious so I tested this on my DA-C running the developer version 10.3 .0.700.

I have no contacts on the device, and until now no email accounts. I added an IMAP account so that it wouldn't get cloud sourced contacts. So far it does not offer addresses from receiving messages, or those that were just synced with the server. It does offer address from messages I've sent from that device.

Will have to war to see if it will offer addresses from messages received after the account was added.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 12:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ok, I was going to dispute this, but now I'm wondering about this. While I have no actual email on my device, I do have my device connected to my Gmail account, and there are emails there in various folders that account for the addresses showing up under suggestions. I'm realizing I really, really do not understand the syncing of this device to my account - IMAP, POP, push, yadda yadda yadda.
    Last edited by mhg0157; 09-01-14 at 12:58 PM.
    09-01-14 12:39 PM
    Ok, I was going to dispute this, but now I'm wondering about this. While I have no actual email on my device, I do have my device connected to my Gmail account, and there are emails there in various folders that account for the addresses showing up under suggestions. I'm realizing I really, really do not understand the syncing of this device to my account - IMAP, POP, push, yadda yadda yadda.
    Gmail also automatically adds email address to your contacts. If you sync contacts with the device then they will be psuggested even if BlackBerry changes it.

Also, the email is on your device once the server sends it down. Otherwise you couldn't read it.

The software will suggest email addresses it finds on the phone. Arguably those email addresses are OS some importance to you or you wouldn't be using limited storage and expensive data to make them available.

This is one of the best features in BB10. It brings a function no one would be without on their phone to email. If someone cold calls you, you expect the number to be available to you. If it was a call you aren't interested in you delete it. Over time the number falls off the list,or you add it to your contacts. The hub provides exactly this for email. It is brilliant and will be a great loss if we lose it.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 01:21 PM
    Gmail also automatically adds email address to your contacts. If you sync contacts with the device then they will be psuggested even if BlackBerry changes it.

Also, the email is on your device once the server sends it down. Otherwise you couldn't read it.

The software will suggest email addresses it finds on the phone. Arguably those email addresses are OS some importance to you or you wouldn't be using limited storage and expensive data to make them available.

This is one of the best features in BB10. It brings a function no one would be without on their phone to email. If someone cold calls you, you expect the number to be available to you. If it was a call you aren't interested in you delete it. Over time the number falls off the list,or you add it to your contacts. The hub provides exactly this for email. It is brilliant and will be a great loss if we lose it.

Posted via CB10
    Well I think most would agree that this can be a great feature, BUT with the level of control you just mentioned - if I don't want it, I need to be able to delete it.

As it is now - judging by this thread and others - there are many who can't figure out how to control it. All we'd like to see is either a simple on/off toggle (suggested email address from contacts only?) or some other method whereby the user can easily remove unwanted addresses.

Now as for Gmail, I have no contacts there and am not synching any, but I'm currently playing around with the POP/IMAP settings to try to understand how and when and what gets synched. For a non-technical guy, it's very confusing. But I suspect you're right about the phone pulling these addresses from emails that are in my Gmail account emails, but aren't on my device (or don't seem to be).
    09-01-14 01:28 PM
    Nothing in that KB article says the list is not updated as time goes on.

On the 27th I got spam from "Coring [email protected]". I deleted it from the device and that addresses is not suggested even if I type the whole thing in.

You just have to get them off the device, next time the list is rebuilt they will be gone. If they keep coming back, search for them, I bet you'll find an email in a folder that is synced.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, so not to beat a dead horse here, but I have gone into my Gmail account on a desktop and deleted all traces of email from one particular company, Prestini. I have also gone into my Hub folders on my Q10 and deleted all traces of Prestini, and refreshed all folders involved, and reset the whole Hub three times.

But still when I compose a Gmail message on the Q10 I am getting Prestini as a suggested address. They aren't in my Q10 contacts (never were) nor are the a Gmail contact. I have no contacts of any kind in my Gmail account, and have no contact sync set up for the phone anyway.

So what I'm asking here is when you say "next time the list is rebuilt they will be gone", exactly what time-frame are we talking here? Because it doesn't look like it's happening.

This feature needs to be more controllable than this. I guarantee that if you have a contentious divorce or a business relationship gone bad, you are going to want an easy way to expunge that address from your life. All of the steps I'm taking are not what I'd call easy or intuitive.
    09-01-14 01:50 PM
    I don't know what to say to you guys. If I receive an email that I'm not. Interested in I delete it. Deleted email goes to folders that aren't not visible to the hub and are deleted from the phone. Addresses from those email are never suggested.

Messages that are important but of a transient nature stay on the phone. Addressees from those email are suggested in the appropriate context until I no longer sent or receive emails with those addresses. After a time, I use 30 days, the messages age off the phone. Some time after that the address stop appearing in the suggestion list. I don't keep track of how long that takes because it just works. I assume there will be a grace period in their.

The grace period may even be as long as you had the source messages for. But this is how heuristics base software works. The is a simple set of parameters, listed in the KN article linked above, and a complex adaptive algorithm that is designed to replicate what a human user would generally do. In this case you have Contacts for permanent contacts, the unified inbox is helping you manage addresses for temporary contacts as well. As far as I know no other smartphone does this.

The only issue I've ever had was when I entered my brother's address incorrectly. I couldn't figure out why it kept coming back wrong after I fixed it until I saw that others in my family were replying to a message with the wrong address. I deleted or filed in a non syncing folder all those messages. I never had that problem again. Sorry I didn't keep track of how much time elapsed until I emailed my brother again.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 03:51 PM
    Back to the original topic. From what I've seen on the DA-C suggested addresses are only being taken from messages sent from the device, and probably contacts but I'm not testing for that.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 04:18 PM
    Michael Clewley at Blackberry has confirmed they are looking at this, which suggests they know it is a problem.
    Last edited by Snakepitboy; 10-07-14 at 03:37 PM.
    09-01-14 04:59 PM
    Michael Clemley at Blackberry has confirmed they are looking at this, which suggests they know it is a problem.
    Eeeexcellent, Smithers....
    09-01-14 05:44 PM
    How do you delete it on Windows? I had been trying to figure that out for a while

Posted via CB10
    There is an "X" besides the email. Click on it to delete from the autocomplete list.

Here a detailed explanation. Hopefully Blackberry reads it as well.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/o...010355568.aspx

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    09-01-14 06:11 PM
    Can anyone report whether this has been fixed for 10.3?
    10-02-14 12:10 PM
    Can anyone report whether this has been fixed for 10.3?
    It is a new feature of 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Brilliant! Thanks.
    10-02-14 12:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Let's wait and see. I am very skeptical, BlackBerry is still measuring it self low in the scale when addressing core reported problems with OS10.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 04:50 AM
    Let's wait and see. I am very skeptical, BlackBerry is still measuring it self low in the scale when addressing core reported problems with OS10.

Posted via CB10
    Without sounding like I doubt Nick_LM (I don't!), is this definitely sorted in 10.3?

The reason I ask is that the relevant BlackBerry KB article still says there's no way to clear the "suggestion database".
    10-30-14 03:50 PM
    I'm now having this problem for the first time myself and I'm also interested in receiving confirmation that the problem is in fact fixed.

This can be a major hindrance. Why on earth hasn't BlackBerry addressed this issue until now? How difficult can this be?

Posted via CB10
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    01-04-15 09:57 AM
    Still an issue on my Classic running 10.3.1.1154
    01-05-15 09:12 PM
53 123