Was scrolling through the news articles released today with regards to the passport launch. I gotta say, they are predominantly negative. Particularly in the title which is the most damaging aspect.

Some early reviews of the device ate also negative. However, most of the negative arguments made, seem related to OS software shortcomings rather than to the form factor. This is unfortunate as many of these shortcomings will likely be addressed in time.

I got the sense that reviewers didn't like the bulk of the device but acknowledged that it was a better experience for reading and browsing.

Others found it too hard to hold with one hand.

Consensus was that it is a "strange" device for BlackBerry die hards and possibly some enterprise folks. In other words, not a device worth converting for.

I think BlackBerry fans need to get out there on the message boards and balance out the coverage/spin.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 08:27 PM
    i never got the OS complaints. i switched from an iPhone 4 and within a day i was typing emails and navigating through apps MUCH quicker than on the iPhone. some people just need to be spoonfed and cant think for themselves.

oh, no home button how the hell do you get to the home screen... well, when you turn the device on for the first time it shows you, and then it is a more fluid motion then dragging your thumb down, lifting it, lowering it, pressing down, lifting it again, putting it back on the screen. but no, its too difficult... lmao
    09-24-14 10:03 PM
    They just don't know what's good...

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    09-24-14 10:32 PM
    Surprisingly when some people go through the tutorial on how to navigate through BB10 OS, they don't remember what they just did!

i never got the OS complaints. i switched from an iPhone 4 and within a day i was typing emails and navigating through apps MUCH quicker than on the iPhone. some people just need to be spoonfed and cant think for themselves.

oh, no home button how the hell do you get to the home screen... well, when you turn the device on for the first time it shows you, and then it is a more fluid motion then dragging your thumb down, lifting it, lowering it, pressing down, lifting it again, putting it back on the screen. but no, its too difficult... lmao

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 10:47 PM
    There is no review that is more lousy than theverge.
    The keyboard sucks, the camera sucks, the form is awkward, the phone lags etc.

Hardly any review talks about flicking of words in keyboard and ois in camera.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    09-24-14 10:51 PM

Oh yes there is. WSJ and Joanna Sterns' review.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:23 PM
    I've been reading reviews all day and the most consistent comments I see about the Passport is that the shape is odd and its meant to be used by two hands. Other than that everything has been positive! The screen, keyboard, software, camera, specs, and Amazon app store are all great. Yet one thing I don't understand is why the hub is a so called "good idea that's been executed poorly".

Positives in the Passport reviews are high, yet the negatives are given much more importance.

The Passport is a departure from the norm of tall touch screen phones. I personally can't wait to try it and get one myself!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:34 PM
    They are afraid of "different".
    09-24-14 11:49 PM
    I've watched a few videos of "Reviews" and it's very clear that people were just given the device and not shown ANYTHING about how to use it. I would bet that most of them have ZERO idea about these features, seeing as how they have done ZERO research.
    09-25-14 04:46 AM
    These reviewers most likely have stock either with Samsung, google,or apple. Everybody smells a BlackBerry comeback so to prevent BlackBerry gaining marketshare back and the decline in Samsung, apple, and Google stock price from falling they use the power vested in them by writing shjjty BlackBerry reviews to keep the public away from BlackBerry. Only way to stop this is would be to make your voices heard by adding your own reviews and to keep your comments coming on those sites. That's how we balance it out for the public. I really wish the "SNAP" was made available in BlackBerry World or the amazon app store to kill that instagram and snapchat crap smh

BBM:2BA9B6AD Channels:C00121E43
    09-25-14 05:06 AM
    I would be very interested to hear from new Passport Owners, about their experience with BB Assistant, using voice-guided navigation over Bluetooth, while driving.
    09-25-14 05:10 AM
    These are the same reviewers that wrote praised Apple for releasing a slightly larger version of their phone with outdated specs and the only seeming upgrade other then the size is that's it's now bendable!

Don't trust the media. Try a device yourself.

It's the reason I'm using a q10 to actually have a functional work device and not carrying around an iphone loaded with all the latest fart apps!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:22 AM
    You need to use two hands on passport and according to these reviewers it sucks.

Samsung notes, iphone 6+ you need 2 hands too but it's the best.

Talk about suck ups.

Posted via CB10
    antikorr, spikesolie and Smokeaire like this.
    09-25-14 05:23 AM
    People are just unhappy that they won't be able to text and drive with Passport.
    09-25-14 05:41 AM
    Actually they will be able to text and drive - BB Assistant does a great job of that, completely hands free !!
    09-25-14 08:36 AM
    I don't buy reviewers having anything against BB - such as investment in Googe / Apple stock. Pure ignorance is more likely. You have to invest a certain amount if time in using the 10 devices / OS before it becomes apparent how well put together and stable it all is.
    09-25-14 09:16 AM
    I don't buy reviewers having anything against BB - such as investment in Googe / Apple stock. Pure ignorance is more likely. You have to invest a certain amount if time in using the 10 devices / OS before it becomes apparent how well put together and stable it all is.
    The verge is the closest

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-25-14 09:29 AM

Ya the verge review was Rediculous.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:11 PM
    I've watched a few videos of "Reviews" and it's very clear that people were just given the device and not shown ANYTHING about how to use it. I would bet that most of them have ZERO idea about these features, seeing as how they have done ZERO research.
    I will say that ios 8's word flicking us as good as blackberry in my opinion. Still prefer the BlackBerry 10 OS though.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:13 PM
    I tried to test one out today at the telus store.. they only had a dummy phone on display. That's no fun.

Early Passport Reviews!!-img_20140925_135435.jpg
    09-25-14 05:17 PM
    I've noticed this as well. I was super excited for it, cautious, but super excited. I became a little worried that all the reviews about the size and keyboard layout were so negative, as these were my two concerns. But each of the reviews discredited themselves to me when they would continue to critique areas of the phone that I'm already comfortable with. Such as critiquing the Hub, saying things like; not liking all your accounts displayed in the Hub. Does the writer not know that you can go in and choose which accounts you see in the hub? Or talking down about the OS, when I know it is one of the better, if not the best OS out there. I've determined that I've gotta get one in my hands before I can make a solid decision. It will all come down to whether I can 100% commit to two hand typing or not. I will easily add apt to the keyboard. Everything else seems amazing!
    09-25-14 07:40 PM
    Some of the complaints are legit because the phone isn't for everyone. I wouldn't get it myself, and prefer the BlackBerry Classic. I can understand the argument that it's too big, and not for the pocket user. However, there's other things mentioned that were stupid, such as saying you can't type with one hand. As if that's easier on any other platform.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:53 PM
    Went to a Telus store to play with one today... it wasn't there. not the phone, the entire store lol. I guess they closed but didn't update the website.

So I went to the usual one (Dufferin Mall) and they had a dummy unit, I was furious bc I called ahead and they said they had it... but then I noticed another one behind me, IT WORKED!!! They actually had 2 dummy units and a working one. I would say 75% of the phones they have there are dummy units... that boggles my mind. from what I saw the only working models were Passport, some Samsung phone and iPhone.

So I tested it, I was typing about 30 words a minute... never having used a qwerty AND with the awkward anti theft device attached. the screen is CRAZY, on average it gives about 4 - 6 extra words per line then my Z10. I tested on tsn, io9, CB and a couple others. I also downloaded a pdf that I use very often... GREAT! I zoomed in to the text (no margins around, the double tap) and you can read it from a pretty good distance. MUCH better than Z10 and not even close to my sideways iPhone4.

I also opened the calendar and it is HUGE lol.

As for holding it, it was hard to tell with the anti theft device, but I have pretty small hands and my right thumb could reach all the way to the second last keys on the far left of the keyboard. Typing with one hand may be difficult, but I rarely do it anyways.

Video... I played the CB review video on it and with the letter boxing it isn't really that much of a problem. the video won't be as big as the landscape Z10, but it is big enough to watch... and damn do they look good on the screen! I actually don't remember the last video I watched on my phone, so it won't matter to me.

I wasn't able to put it in my pocket or check the sound quality, but the screen was fantastic and I actually hit the space bar pretty accurately within 5 minutes of using it. I don't know how, I even caught myself doing it and thinking 'how am I doing this'

I'm going to try it out a couple more times and see if it is worth a buy ($160 to cancel my contract and then $299 on bell, bc it is cheaper than $700 off contract). Maybe wait for boxing day? It looks like a great device!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:10 PM
    Went to a Telus store to play with one today... it wasn't there. not the phone, the entire store lol. I guess they closed but didn't update the website.

So I went to the usual one (Dufferin Mall) and they had a dummy unit, I was furious bc I called ahead and they said they had it... but then I noticed another one behind me, IT WORKED!!! They actually had 2 dummy units and a working one. I would say 75% of the phones they have there are dummy units... that boggles my mind. from what I saw the only working models were Passport, some Samsung phone and iPhone.

So I tested it, I was typing about 30 words a minute... never having used a qwerty AND with the awkward anti theft device attached. the screen is CRAZY, on average it gives about 4 - 6 extra words per line then my Z10. I tested on tsn, io9, CB and a couple others. I also downloaded a pdf that I use very often... GREAT! I zoomed in to the text (no margins around, the double tap) and you can read it from a pretty good distance. MUCH better than Z10 and not even close to my sideways iPhone4.

I also opened the calendar and it is HUGE lol.

As for holding it, it was hard to tell with the anti theft device, but I have pretty small hands and my right thumb could reach all the way to the second last keys on the far left of the keyboard. Typing with one hand may be difficult, but I rarely do it anyways.

Video... I played the CB review video on it and with the letter boxing it isn't really that much of a problem. the video won't be as big as the landscape Z10, but it is big enough to watch... and damn do they look good on the screen! I actually don't remember the last video I watched on my phone, so it won't matter to me.

I wasn't able to put it in my pocket or check the sound quality, but the screen was fantastic and I actually hit the space bar pretty accurately within 5 minutes of using it. I don't know how, I even caught myself doing it and thinking 'how am I doing this'

I'm going to try it out a couple more times and see if it is worth a buy ($160 to cancel my contract and then $299 on bell, bc it is cheaper than $700 off contract). Maybe wait for boxing day? It looks like a great device!

Posted via CB10
    In fullscreen video mode you can zoom the video if you want.
    Pretty cool really.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:35 PM
    Yea, but it cuts off some of the edges. I didn't really see a problem , it is big enough

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:53 PM
26 12