I've seen threads here and there over the last couple of years dealing with multiple contact entries, but has anyone actually figured out why they happen?
    For the 3rd or 4th time I've gone through my contacts and linked all the multiple contract entries to create a clean list...and still they eventually re-appear. With each OS upgrade I think the problem might be fixed, but it still happens.
    I can't see a pattern. Some are contacts with email/phone/Facebook/BBM...and some are people I only have a phone number for.
    04-02-15 12:46 PM
    Here, rogue versions of Skype were the culprit. Skype would try to populate the contacts over and over. That would lead to messed up mergers with existing contacts and most just piling up.
    04-02-15 01:01 PM
    I've had this problem in the past but i haven't had any duplicated contacts in a while.
    04-03-15 07:46 PM
    Interesting. I'll delete Skype and see if it helps. I never used it anyway.
    04-07-15 11:48 AM
    It's not our frickin job to try to figure out how BlackBerry's "magic black box" contacts app works. It is chaos!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 06:30 PM
    This is my solution:

Problems with contacts:
    1. Linking system is insane chaos. Automatic linking fails and manual linking is too cumbersome.
    2. Z10 contact is not the main contact.
    3. Linking results in multiple duplicates.
    4. Fields don't propagate across linked contacts
    5. Birthday fields often corrupt.
    6. Birthday fields not linked to calendar with a reminder.
    7. Personal contacts automatically copied to work when using Balance/BES.
    8. No way to properly merge contact sets.
    9. No way to properly merge contact fields.
    10. No way to automatically find and merge duplicate contacts that might have slightly different fields.
    11. Contacts search function does not search within notes

Solution to contacts problems:
    * Expect that the BB10 contact will be one single file that contains the most complete data possible, not a group of linked contacts

*Assume we want BB10 contacts to be considered the source of truth and that all field level updates will flow into or out of the BB10 contact

* The linking system has got to go. It automatically tries to add links for new contacts.

* We need screens to control both 1. *Contact Sets such as BB10, LinkedIn, Yahoo, or PC and *2. *a screen to help with field level updates. *The field level updates control how contact data flows into and out of a particular contact. **3. A screen to merge and dedupe existing that intelligently suggests duplicates or like contacts.

* However, will need feeds from other sources that are either 1 or 2 way sync for updates. For example, your Gmail account is 2 way syncing. You can add, delete, or modify contacts in both sets. However, your linkedin contacts will be 1 way syncing. Ex. you cannot modify your linkedin friends' information, only your own.

* changes will propagate out and in based on a hierarchy, or user defined

* merge is used for 2 way contact sets such as Google, however link available but only to allow contact updates to flow through from a unidirectional contact set such as LinkedIn*

* good backup and restore for contacts so can back up to PC without using work around such as creating an Outlook account

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 06:32 PM