Posting here because DuOS is Android on Windows, which is just like what we have with Android on BB10. It's US$10 and has Android 4.2.2, so slightly behind BB10 with 4.3.

Running DuOS is reminiscent of running Android on BB10 (or maybe that's just how Android works - I don't know as my experience has been limited to PlayBook & BB10). Amazon is pre-installed, and you can install Google Play Store and related Google services. Makes me wonder if / when BB & Google can get an agreement on this.

It works really well and I'm enjoying running on my laptop some of the same apps I have on my phone, (much larger and clearer on the laptop). In particular, apps like Mobile Observatory are fantastic on the laptop. Audible syncs between my phone and laptop. Interestingly, Office Lens doesn't work on DuOS or BB10 (I think that app wants 4.4). National Post, which is only so/ so on my Z30, sucks on DuOS (I think that's the app's fault).

I was so impressed with DuOS, I didn't wait to run out my 30 days to purchase a license.

30 day free trial:
    Run Android on Windows - Fastest Android Emulator

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) and dmlis like this.
    06-06-15 04:14 PM
    Your understanding of the Android Runtime is lacking.
    der_mit likes this.
    06-06-15 05:19 PM
    Can you elaborate on exactly what Android runtime can and can't do? I'm genuinely interested in learning about it, or if you know of an article that I can read about it. I have a decent understanding I just want to know more that's all.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 05:27 PM
    I was referring to the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 05:29 PM
    I was referring to the user experience.
    Point proven. We do not have a full version of Android we can switch to as we please.

Can you elaborate on exactly what Android runtime can and can't do? I'm genuinely interested in learning about it, or if you know of an article that I can read about it. I have a decent understanding I just want to know more that's all.
    It can do almost everything a full Android device can, to the point that if we load up some of the mission bits, it comes close to emulating one. But there are things it won't ever do since it's sandboxed - like getting rooted or allowing for some customization that a full blown Android OS would.

Oh and there are things there is no code for yet (I believe it can use NFC and some WiFi things won't work either).
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-06-15 at 05:54 PM.
    06-06-15 05:33 PM