I use BlackBerry and I wouldn't say I'm a power user, but I know a fair bit. I was emailing a supplier and he wanted to set up a meeting and I kid you not, this is what he sent to me when it got to booking the meeting (edited to hide names):

"‎Hi X,

On my BlackBerry at moment, so cannot do meeting request but Monday 15th September @ 10.30am will suit
    I will be accompanied by YZ who jointly manages both customer accounts with me

I look forward to seeing you then

Regards

L

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network."

I was dumbfounded that someone couldn't book a meeting from a BlackBerry. I couldn't help myself:

"Hit the overflow button in the bottom right and tap "Invite to meeting", I'm on my BlackBerry Z10 too

Regards

Me
    Group IT & Communications Manager"
    Honestly, "tools not toys" but some people can't do DIY.
    09-05-14 09:06 AM
    As much as I agree with you that it's tools and not toys, I would like to say that a lot of folks out there are not bothered on what the device can actually do. All they wanna do is use BBM and mails, so all other extra features won't get to them. One of the reasons why many are still using BBOS devices.
    I will just classify that person as one of these folks.
    howarmat and gobimmer like this.
    09-05-14 09:12 AM
    My boss should only have a flip phone with email.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 12:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    As should quite a few I know too but without the email
    miker476 likes this.
    09-05-14 01:42 PM
    'Hints' opportunity!

Check Out TechCraze
    09-05-14 01:44 PM
    Really? I thought the mobile was short for mobile office in this day and age?

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    09-05-14 01:59 PM
    Really? I thought the mobile was short for mobile office in this day and age?

Posted via CB10
    What was his response?

Check Out TechCraze
    09-05-14 02:42 PM
    What was his response?

Check Out TechCraze
    "I don't see a button called 'overflow' "

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    Davidro1 and ThunderShock2005 like this.
    09-05-14 06:31 PM

Lmao! That's quality. Ah well...you tried right. give him a quick tutorial on the 15th

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    09-05-14 07:01 PM
    What was his response?

Check Out TechCraze
    He just accepted the meeting request I did for that date from my phone. I'll give him a quick tutorial at the meeting if I think the guys worth the time but I suspect he isn't very worthy, he's a printer sales rep.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 01:46 AM

Haha haha hahaha

Z30 STA-2 10.3.0.1052 Posted via CB
    09-06-14 02:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's what minions are for, to do their master's biddings. Boss normally couldn't care less what features his/her smartphone has, let the underlings figure it out. ;-)

Posted from an ME173X
    09-06-14 02:56 AM
    He just accepted the meeting request I did for that date from my phone. I'll give him a quick tutorial at the meeting if I think the guys worth the time but I suspect he isn't very worthy, he's a printer sales rep.

Posted via CB10
    Credibility check- if you can't use basic functionality on a phone should you really be selling tech products

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-06-14 07:30 AM
    I'm not sure if it's just me but, my main calendar, which syncs up with outlook through BBLink, for whatever reason doesn't allow me to add participants. Which I think is silly. Especially because I don't want to link it with a hotmail or hail calendar.
    Dumb user of the day award goes to....-img_20140906_203610.png

Posted via my Zee Tree Zero!
    09-06-14 07:38 PM
    I think as an IT manager you have the authority to set up training sessions for those in need?

Sent from my White Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-06-14 07:42 PM
    I guess i'm a dumb user as well as i don't know how or what this meeting setting is or does. Is it some kind of on screen meeting with multiple users on your phone?? Or is it simply scheduling a meeting in the calendar?

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 10:48 PM
    . . . . Is it some kind of on screen meeting with multiple users on your phone?? Or is it simply scheduling a meeting in the calendar?

Posted via CB10
    Overflow menu when reading an email, choose "Invite to meeting" then set calendar info accordingly. When you save, if I'm correct, via Outlook it asks if you want to send the invite to participants or not send, if a gmail account - don't think it asks but just automatically sends after you hit save. Auto-populates participant section with email addresses in the header, including cc:'s. You can edit this field to delete / add / etc.

Dumb user of the day award goes to....-img_20140906_230239.png

Dumb user of the day award goes to....-img_20140906_230407.png

Attachment 296243
    09-06-14 11:11 PM
    Overflow menu when reading an email, choose "Invite to meeting" then set calendar info accordingly. When you save, if I'm correct, via Outlook it asks if you want to send the invite to participants or not send, if a gmail account - don't think it asks but just automatically sends after you hit save. Auto-populates participant section with email addresses in the header, including cc:'s. You can edit this field to delete / add / etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140906_230239.png 
Views:	588 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	296241

Name:	IMG_20140906_230407.png 
Views:	589 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	296242

Attachment 296243
    So that's it? It's basically just a reminder for people? It shows up on their calendar as "let's have lunch" "meet me at this location"... i can accomplish the same result more effectively just by sending out a text...people in here made it sound like it's some neat little feature. and to think i almost thought it was an actual meeting you can conduct on your phone via split screen or something.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 11:40 PM
    I'm not sure if it's just me but, my main calendar, which syncs up with outlook through BBLink, for whatever reason doesn't allow me to add participants. Which I think is silly. Especially because I don't want to link it with a hotmail or hail calendar.

Name:	IMG_20140906_203610.png 
Views:	681 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	296211

Posted via my Zee Tree Zero!
    It's because you're using a local sync which is offline. Your default account is set to that. Disable the local sync from link. Then set that account as default for calendar and should work wirelessly. I'm curious if our op has considered this from the print sales guy or if that rep was using a personal account to reply?

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-07-14 11:55 PM
    So that's it? It's basically just a reminder for people? It shows up on their calendar as "let's have lunch" "meet me at this location"... i can accomplish the same result more effectively just by sending out a text...people in here made it sound like it's some neat little feature. and to think i almost thought it was an actual meeting you can conduct on your phone via split screen or something.

Posted via CB10
    Tell me you are kidding? Without calendars and meeting reminders I would miss half the events of my day as it's quite easy to get side tracked (hello internet) and manually checking the time and then keeping a constant watch on it would be a nightmare. I hardly know any execs in a position who wouldn't use a calendar with reminders to maintain their busy schedules for at least work. If we did a poll on here I bet a lot of people even arrange nights out and events with calendar/meeting requests, much the same as people do on Facebook these days which also handily would set a reminder on your calendar.

It's because you're using a local sync which is offline. Your default account is set to that. Disable the local sync from link. Then set that account as default for calendar and should work wirelessly. I'm curious if our op has considered this from the print sales guy or if that rep was using a personal account to reply?

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    I would suspect that dealing with a fairly large and well established company that they would be using a PIM service which would allow you to use Calendar/Meeting invites. The fact that he inferred he could do it at the office but not from his phone leads me to believe he just didn't know how.
    09-08-14 04:50 AM
    A user training problem is between people, not the fault of the device, the technical side of things.

A user interface problem is a technical problem, a device problem. One MAY workaround it by training everyone on "how to get around the problem"

When this thread started, I read the first couple responses. Today, I haven't read them. I remember this much: there is a way to initiate a calendar invite from inside email. (could be wrong about this.) So I went to email and tried to find that option in the overflow menu (three vertical dots). It's not there. Or, I couldn't find it.

Now, methinks this is a User Interface concern.

BlackBerry Travel scans my email... Why can't BlackBerry Calendar also scan my email and make me see an option to Turn any Email Message Into A Calendar Invite Right Away? This isn't rocket science. This isn't even difficult.

Meanwhile, I'll go re-read the thread from the beginning until I re-read the part where someone explains how to use the Calendar Invite and Email when replying to incoming emails.

(later...) OK, now I re-read the thread and found it. What I Have To Do Is To Search For An Incoming Message From Someone, and then use the overflow menu And Do This Bbefore Cclicking Oon "reply". Phew.

(sarcasm) I'm so glad to have found this option in the limited fashion it is provided to me.

Silly me, I was composing a brand new email message, when I tried naively and dumbly simply to email someone an invite... !!

Obviously (as so many snickering participants have snickered) you all seem to know that you can't get a calendar invite from that point.

Thank you one and all for helping me to overcome the User Interface inconsistency. (!!).
    09-08-14 09:24 AM
    Tell me you are kidding? Without calendars and meeting reminders I would miss half the events of my day as it's quite easy to get side tracked (hello internet) and manually checking the time and then keeping a constant watch on it would be a nightmare. I hardly know any execs in a position who wouldn't use a calendar with reminders to maintain their busy schedules for at least work. If we did a poll on here I bet a lot of people even arrange nights out and events with calendar/meeting requests, much the same as people do on Facebook these days which also handily would set a reminder on your calendar.

I would suspect that dealing with a fairly large and well established company that they would be using a PIM service which would allow you to use Calendar/Meeting invites. The fact that he inferred he could do it at the office but not from his phone leads me to believe he just didn't know how.
    No i wasn't kidding. Yes i use the calendar to remind me of things and for my work schedule but in the yrs of having a blackberry (or any smartphone for that matter) i've never used it to remind others of anything and vice-versa. In fact, i don't even have it synced to any accounts since i never use my email calendars. Which is probably why i never noticed the option to set meetings; but i guess everyone has different needs and purposes.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 12:04 PM
    Horses for courses, as they say. But if you are a salesman out in the field doing nothing but having meetings....

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 12:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh, then no doubt your lunch timer will go long due to his enthusiasm for the most recent iterations of parallel connectors and "how to re ink" a printer ribbon to save YOU money!

Lucky you.
    09-08-14 01:00 PM
    Not everyone has to bother with bloody meetings all day, every day.

Some of us just like to go fishing or play golf.

So simple!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 until my Z30 comes back from repair.
    09-08-14 01:42 PM
26 12