I started using DuckDuckGo as my default search engine recently (See their about page if you haven't heard of it before) and wanted to use it on my phone too.

To my (pleasant) surprise, I found they had a dedicated page describing how to set the BB10 browser search engine in a step-by-step manner complete with screenshots! In the last line they also link to CrackBerry's article about sideloading APKs and provide a link to their APK for the app if you want an app.

Check it out! https://duck.co/help/mobile/blackberry
    07-12-14 12:54 PM
    I use duckduckgo.com and start page and both work well

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:14 PM
    The problem with this is the icon added for the DuckDuckGo engine screams amateur hour. In comparison to other well designed default icons.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:21 PM
    I use duckduckgo for my search engine on my Z10 too. I like it quite a bit.
    07-12-14 01:23 PM
    The problem with this is the icon added for the DuckDuckGo engine screams amateur hour. In comparison to other well designed default icons.

Posted via CB10
    How is the icon amateur hour?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:26 PM
    How is the icon amateur hour?

Posted via CB10
    Do you not see the difference between a quality designed icon and one that is not?

DuckDuckGo as the default BlackBerry 10 browser search engine-1ef2ffcaee846a9773d27fe3df6aa105.png

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:32 PM
    DDG ftw!

I don't mind if the icon is kinda fuzzy in that one tiny spot. I care more about the privacy and functionality they bring me.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    PHughes likes this.
    07-12-14 01:41 PM
    DDG ftw!

I don't mind if the icon is kinda fuzzy in that one tiny spot. I care more about the privacy and functionality they bring me.
    Why not have the best of both worlds?
    07-12-14 01:50 PM
    Do you not see the difference between a quality designed icon and one that is not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ef2ffcaee846a9773d27fe3df6aa105.png 
Views:	2195 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	284618

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea why it is blurry in the screen capture but it normally isn't. Is that your issue or is it because it's a duck?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 02:03 PM
    I have no idea why it is blurry in the screen capture but it normally isn't. Is that your issue or is it because it's a duck?
    No this is not my issue it's theirs. The screenshot is taken from the tutorial they offer on their website. Link found in the original post.
    07-12-14 02:05 PM
    No this is not my issue it's theirs. The screenshot is taken from the tutorial they offer on their website. Link found in the original post.
    Wow. OK. Glad we cleared that up. Anyway thanks OP. It's a great search engine.

Posted via CB10
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    07-12-14 02:12 PM
    The icon is blurry because the BB10 browser is trying to grab the icon from the favicon on the site, which is: https://duckduckgo.com/favicon.ico

And then it's trying to upsize it, which is making it pixelated. I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    07-12-14 02:26 PM
    The icon is blurry because the BB10 browser is trying to grab the icon from the favicon on the site, which is: https://duckduckgo.com/favicon.ico

And then it's trying to upsize it, which is making it pixelated. I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    Yeah why worry about it. Only looks like it was designed by a five year old. But who cares. Since when did quality design ever matter?
    07-12-14 02:28 PM
    Yeah why worry about it. Only looks like it was designed by a five year old. But who cares. Since when did quality design ever matter?
    It's actually bb's fault for just assuming to take the favicon.

In no way can ddg make their favicon bigger. 16x16 is the highest according to regulation.
    07-12-14 02:40 PM
    If you're not familiar with what favicons are and what they're used for, this should help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

They are, usually at best, 16x16 pixels in size. What exactly did you want them to do? Unless BlackBerry adds the search engine officially in a future update, the browser is doing exactly what it should when trying to come up with an icon to use.

EDIT: Also, this is exactly the same thing that Firefox does when you add a custom search engine to the search bar.
    Djlatino and eldricho like this.
    07-12-14 02:43 PM
    It's actually bb's fault for just assuming to take the favicon.

In no way can ddg make their favicon bigger. 16x16 is the highest according to regulation.
    Maybe so. That being said I have found most WordPress related blogs and the main site in general. Offer up a quality icon. So how is it BlackBerry's fault if that is so.

Even Crackberry's arch nemesis BGR has a quality looking icon.

I personally don't care who's fault it is. Only that it match the quality of the default address bar icons.

DuckDuckGo as the default BlackBerry 10 browser search engine-img_20140712_153405.png

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 02:47 PM
    WTH!...when I try to add as a search engine, phone notifies me I can't add a new search engine. On Telus in Canada... is there some sort of restriction?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 11:22 PM
    WTH!...when I try to add as a search engine, phone notifies me I can't add a new search engine. On Telus in Canada... is there some sort of restriction?

Posted via CB10
    Screenshot?
    07-14-14 04:02 PM
    I started using DuckDuckGo as my default search engine recently (See their about page if you haven't heard of it before) and wanted to use it on my phone too.

To my (pleasant) surprise, I found they had a dedicated page describing how to set the BB10 browser search engine in a step-by-step manner complete with screenshots! In the last line they also link to CrackBerry's article about sideloading APKs and provide a link to their APK for the app if you want an app.

Check it out! https://duck.co/help/mobile/blackberry
    So...

I went to the site and added DuckDuckGo to my Z30. Then I saw the little app link at the bottom of the page. After installing the app, I found it contains all sorts of interesting links. It's now 02:41 and I've lost several hours of sleep.

I'm blaming you.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 02:43 AM
    So...

I went to the site and added DuckDuckGo to my Z30. Then I saw the little app link at the bottom of the page. After installing the app, I found it contains all sorts of interesting links. It's now 02:41 and I've lost several hours of sleep.

I'm blaming you.

Posted via CB10
    You're welcome, and I'm sorry. =)
    niss63 likes this.
    07-16-14 09:32 AM
    Done....been using DDG a while but didn't realize I could make it default. Thanks.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    07-16-14 01:47 PM
    I've been using DDG for a while too. Never used anything else on my BlackBerry.
    07-16-14 02:43 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ef2ffcaee846a9773d27fe3df6aa105.png 
Views:	2195 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	284618

Posted via CB10
    Lmfaooooo!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 03:41 PM
    I have used DDG in the past with great success but made the switch over to start page. No reason in particular, both are stellar in my opinion.

I just knew it was time to take a large step away from Google's tracking!
    07-17-14 01:12 PM
    Yeah, after a few weeks of having DuckDuckGo as my search engine on both my Mac and BB10, I have not yet felt the need to switch to Google for anything. Loving it.
    07-28-14 01:11 PM
26 12