Dual-boot devices (from the factory) are a violation of the license BB signed with Google for access to Google Play Services and the Play Store. So, in order to do that, they'd have to give up their license, which would mean they'd be back to having no apps. The whole point of going to Android was to fix that primary problem.

So, the chances of this happening are zero.
    that's correct if I had to guess
    04-11-16 10:57 PM
    I wouldn't mind Android OS on my Passport. Unfortunately, many of the applications I use for work are on either Apple or Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 11:48 PM
    If it's with a PKB, I sure hope it comes witha 3 row passport keyboard

Posted via CB10
    04-12-16 12:03 AM
    Dual-boot devices (from the factory) are a violation of the license BB signed with Google for access to Google Play Services and the Play Store. So, in order to do that, they'd have to give up their license, which would mean they'd be back to having no apps. The whole point of going to Android was to fix that primary problem.

I tend to agree.
    Curious to know if those terms apply to former models [that's a real question].
    Could they release an Android OS (autoloader) for Z30, for instance (P.S: tick Passport out, screen won't fit) ?

Not dual boot, but they should provide a BB10 option on all phones.
    (new) Drivers costs will make it prohibitive.
    04-12-16 09:12 AM
    THERE WILL BE MO MORE BB10 DEVICES.

via my Samsung Galaxy S5
    YES, THERE WILL!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    04-12-16 09:21 AM
    As much as that would be awesome, it will never happen. BB10 OS is the best OS system out there, and it is a shame that others won't give it a shot and are sticking to iPhones or androids...
    04-12-16 09:42 AM
    THERE WILL BE MO MORE BB10 DEVICES.
    YES, THERE WILL!
    How much are you willing to bet on that?
    04-12-16 10:30 AM
    YES, THERE WILL!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    If the Vienna even makes it to the store shelves I'd be really surprised if that wasn't the last BlackBerry handset.
    04-12-16 10:47 AM
    While I think it would be possible to replace the outdated (and unavailable) chipset on the Classic with either the Z30 or Passport's for very little cost. I think more important to Chen is the end of all BB10 device support.

As it is, I don't see any indication that BlackBerry is trying to make money on BB10 devices, it seems a lot more like they are trying to clear them out. I can't imagine they are making any profit on the LEAP at $199. The Classic at $349 and the Passport at $399 they probably are making a small profit on those. If you discount the developmental cost associated with BB10 anyway.

But a new device, with a new chipset... don't see that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-12-16 11:32 AM
    Your thought about dual OS is good but IMO cannot be implemented .
    04-12-16 11:32 AM
    How about a BB10 runtime for Android
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    04-12-16 01:36 PM
    I have a windows tablet that is less powerful than my not very powerful by modern standard BlackBerry passport. the tablet runs full windows 10 not the nasty windows phone version and it runs it well (2gb memory 1.2ghz quad core). (oh yes and a similarly specced android tablet the kids use thats laggy as hell) BlackBerry 10 and full windows running link on one android level spec device is possible, a full eco system on one device is possible, backing up one phone to another phone is possible, developing multiplatform apps on a phone is possible, using phone with monitor and keyboard as a base station is possible, its all possible just no-one wants to sell you it.
    the moneys on high power devices, and don't mention running power sapping os, that's designed around profiling your data so as best to sell you stuff, devices that promise to do everything but make you buy other devices including a new paracitic mobile device to leach on to your face.
    Dont get sucked into the apple eco system!
    if you must run an android phone run ubuntu or at least Cyanogen. Reject Android, reject Apple. Tollerate windows but dont forget how Microsoft use to try it on and to some extent still do with Xbox platform.

For my solo corner - a stripped down clean secure bb10 with no android runtime or insecure features running on a hypervisor with windows 10 with link and with android and apple emulation possible under windows 10 via 3rd party software (clean phone/dirty phone) would have been the way to fight the corner against Google and Apple nastiness. Android apps might actually work better than on native android multitude because android developers would find it a convenient platform to do thier development on.
    ...... but there are so many reasons why that didn't / wont happen.

For the time i'll stick with my passport,
    I dont see a priv as significantly better than any android or bb10 phone in fact it looks like just another blind cul-de'sac.

Maybe a windows phone thats not a complete stinker might eventually materialize, one with full windows 10 and useable onscreen keyboard and a more symbianesque phone interface? Or maybe not, as that's far too sensible.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 12:14 AM
    YES, THERE WILL!
    I won't shout, but if Chen's recent interview has been reported accurately, "No, there won't!"

As an aside, Chen also said that "many people said they wanted BB to release a $400 Android phone", but Chen made absolutely no commitment to release a phone at that price.

I mention that because I've seen several recent posts where the prospective mid-range Android phone is stated as costing $400 - it's become a "fact". And Chen didn't say that.
    04-13-16 05:54 AM
    It will be a great if BlackBerry provides us the option to choose the OS BB10/Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 06:12 AM
    It will be a great if BlackBerry provides us the option to choose the OS BB10/Android.

Posted via CB10
    Would have been great if BlackBerry had given STORM 1 owners some kind of "break" on upgrading to the STORM2... as it was their design flaw of putting too little memory in the rushed out STORM1 for it to function correctly.

Would have been great if BlackBerry had delivered on their promise to put BB10 on the PlayBook. Or again done something to acknowledge they were leaving a lot of very supportive fans hanging.... just updating the Android Runtime in the PBOS would have been great!

I do think it would be great if BlackBerry allowed BB10 Device and even PRIV owners to choose what OS they want to run..... but I expect to see an Avengers/Justice League crossover movie before that happens.
    JeepBB and abhi7848 like this.
    04-13-16 09:07 AM
    Hmm... D�j� vu

*backs out slowly*
    I thought we had all gotten over this hypervisor stuff haha... crackbery needs a naughty step for when this kind of situation arises loool

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    04-13-16 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Many of us were praying for exactly that prior to the launch of the Priv.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    04-13-16 10:30 AM

This is often repeated, and may well be true, but it has never been verified. Do you have actual knowledge of the agreement BlackBerry signed or are you repeating something you've read elsewhere?

Unless you can provide a copy of the contract, which is highly unlikely, there is absolutely no way to know the precise terms between BlackBerry and Google, so you're either speculating or inferring those terms based on Google's actions related to other manufacturers in the past.

So, really, we can conjecture, but please don't claim to know what BlackBerry agreed to with Google.

All that said, it's fair to conjecture from Blackberry's actions and from what we know of past OHA disputes that BlackBerry agreed not to update the Android runtime in BB10, and it may be that they agreed not to offer a dual-boot device, or even not to manufacture any more BB10 phones at all.

All we know for certain with reguards to BB10 is that BlackBerry
    1) is allowed to continue selling the existing stock of BB10 phones and
    2) May patch BB10 without removing the current Android runtime through 2017.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 04-14-16 at 09:28 AM.
    04-13-16 05:30 PM
    Contract is OHA standard as much as we can tell.
    And yes, device must boot Android and Android alone AFAIK.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 06:30 PM
44 12