After a day of exhaustive reading/trying/waiting on hold below is my account on what I learned about downgrading BB10 OS on the Z10.

Much to my surprise Verizon finally produced an update 10.1.0.2051 however I am running 10.1.0.2354 which as well all know is a newer OS than the �official release� Being a BlackBerry self-proclaimed �fan boy or all things BlackBerry� I decided to downgrade to the VZW release, I had no idea what research I would eventually do, not to mention the frustration
    Looking on Crackberry many, many people said the below options:
    1. Do a security wipe from the phone (settings > security and privacy > Security Wipe). However, that does not downgrade the OS! That only �refreshes� the current OS installed on the Phone, taking it back to the day you installed that OS. Even if that OS is a leak.
    2. Do a �reload device software� from BlackBerry Link (Settings > Reload Device Software > Reload). That is supposed to work, however there is no guarantee due to the �leaked software�. And that option for me gave me a message stating there is no update for my BB device.
    3. Start to re-install the �leaked� software and pull the USB cable out of the phone as the software is installing on the phone, essentially bricking the phone. Which then BB Link will recognize the phone does not have software and install the correct OS.

Trying options 1 and 2 above with no success, I decided to give BlackBerry tech support a call. After many, many attempts, with the BB tech, to do a factory re-install of the software (see steps below) this is what the level 2 tech told me. He said that there was never any plan �downgrade� software, the plan was to always upgrade (I find that hard to believe, but I have heard worse, look at Windows 8, �nough said). He said if I could find an older leak and install it (E.G. 10.1.0.2009) then BBLink would see that there was a newer �official� release of software and install it (He also said this is what they been telling everyone all day today). Also, unlike older BB OS�s there is no plan to place the OS out there on BB site so people can download it directly to their PC. I asked about option 3 (bricking the phone), he said only if you cannot live with the software you have on your phone, and you were as unsuccessful as I was today and absolutely had to downgrade, then there is a slight chance it would truly brick the phone. Remember you are putting the software through a crash, which the debugging part of the software must take over, which could make it truly brick. He did say that they might be able to un-brick phones, however, there is no guarantee, and it is like a 50/50 chance it would work.

Factory Re-install Software
    1. Do not have your phone connected to the PC
    2. Turn off your Phone
    3. Have BB Link Running
    4. Using a BB USB cable, plug it into the PC then into your BB Phone
    5. In BB Link, go to Settings > Reload Device Software > Reload. (Note: Link is supposed to still read that your BB Phone is plugged in even though it is off)
    6. You will get a message stating that you are about to reset your phone to the original factory OS, click yes to continue.
    7. After installation and a reboot your phone will now be back to the original BB10 OS.
    8. Now you should be able to upgrade the OS.

So, after an exhausting day of trying to downgrade, I am left with OS 10.1.0.2354 and I will live with it until someone somewhere comes out with a method like we use to use on our old BB phones like JL Commander

Hope this helps someone out there.
    Bratza, shelleywardrop and ami.one like this.
    07-27-13 10:09 PM
    The steps you just outlined are essentially your second downgrade option listed above.

That's worked every time for me and is a very simple process, no more or less destructive than an auto loader...

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:12 PM
    Turn off your phone. Go to BlackBerry.com and navigate to the software upgrade page. Click on check for updates and when it starts to look for your phone, turn it on. When it sees your phone click on ok and it should give you the option of the factory OS. It should now be the new Verizon software (it will display the version). Just click on the upgrade and away you go.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:15 PM
    WWBlondieDo - agreed, but for some reason it would not work for me.

Engire - I tried that but I do not see the "check for updates" on any blackberry webpage.
    07-27-13 10:16 PM
    Bummer. Thats how I did it and I was on 2354 as well. If it's any help I might go back as I am less than impressed so far with the official. So far today I have had issues with the hub (disappeared), hot battery on and off and blue tooth connectivity with my truck.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:21 PM
    WWBlondieDo - agreed, but for some reason it would not work for me.

Engire - I tried that but I do not see the "check for updates" on any blackberry webpage.
    Do you have a Z? If so, I've also had success with the soft brick method. I think there's a very small chance that it would permanently brick the phone so I do understand if you do.t want to risk it BUT, again, I think it's really a miniscule chance...

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:24 PM
    Bummer. Thats how I did it and I was on 2354 as well. If it's any help I might go back as I am less than impressed so far with the official. So far today I have had issues with the hub (disappeared), hot battery on and off and blue tooth connectivity with my truck.

Posted via CB10
    Give it some time - most new OSes take a day or two to really settle in. You may want to try a reboot or two, as well. :-)

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:25 PM
    You could simply as you stated load a lower version then load verison. Of cause you would lose data but you knew of that risk once you used leaks or should have
    07-27-13 10:30 PM
    Give it some time - most new OSes take a day or two to really settle in. You may want to try a reboot or two, as well. :-)

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. It seems to have calmed down at least for now. I will do some reboots and see how it goes.

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    07-27-13 10:31 PM
    NOTE: This will reload your device's OS with the newest approved OS and make your device like new again. Note that this will erase your device's memory (your SD card remains intact).

Step 1: Turn your device OFF and ensure it is NOT plugged into the computer. Make sure BlackBerry Link is installed on your computer but is NOT running.

Step 2: Go to this site using Internet Explorer (do not use any other web browser):
    www.BlackBerry.com/updates

Step 3: Click on Check For Updates (it looks like the picture below). It might prompt you to install something, say yes. It will then show a screen looking for your device PIN.

Downgrading Leak OS to Official OS-update.jpg

Step 4: While your device is still OFF, plug it in using the USB cable. Once it's plugged in, turn the device ON.

Step 5: As soon as you turn the device ON, wait for the OK button on the computer screen to become enabled and click OK as soon as possible.

Step 6: The device LED will turn green and the reload of your OS will begin. This process can take a significant amount of time, depending on your Internet connection speed. The OS is about 950 MB in size so if your Internet connection is slow, you will have to be patient.
    07-27-13 10:39 PM
    thanks for the help. However again no luck. Attached is an image of what i get. Downgrading Leak OS to Official OS-software-update.jpg
    07-27-13 11:00 PM
    I have a simple solution to downgrade, yet keep all your leaked data from the higher version.

I had 10.1.0.2342. Wanted to revert back to original factory default, NOT the leaked factory. Once you install a leak, they say you can't revert back but you can plus keep your current data that you acquired from the higher leaked version with all data in tact. Amazing.

1) Backup your. 2354 data. Begin to reinstall your. 2354 leak again with phone connected using the leaked auto loader. During the "write" process, UNPLUG the connection from the phone. It will then revert to the OS you had when you came from the store. The red notification light will blink three times over and over.

2) Download the tool from DarcyTallGuy located in the forums on your computer. Search him, get his tool. He has a tool that allows you to downgrade your version to the real lower factory, yet keep your current higher leaked data.

3) Use his tool. Change your current version inside his simple tool after you have backed up your data and simply change the numbers to any lower version you want.

4) Start BlackBerry Link. Reload data from the backup you changed the version to. Amazingly you keep all your leaked higher leaked data from the higher leaked version on to the lower factory default version. Worked for me perfect, plus all apps and settings from the higher leak came along into the lower official carrier default version.

www.blackberrynation.com
    07-27-13 11:03 PM
    See my post. I have solution.

www.blackberrynation.com
    07-27-13 11:13 PM
    thanks for the help. However again no luck. Attached is an image of what i get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Software Update.jpg 
Views:	1161 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	186580
    Jaffa21, I think you were in the legacy update page. Try this one.

BlackBerry - Software Updates - New Update Software for BlackBerry Smartphones - US
    07-27-13 11:20 PM
    Crazy, Crazy Phone. Tried the "soft brick" solution (my original post option #3) with no luck. I got the 3 blinking red lights. Then went to BB Link tried to reload the software I get clear to the question, would you like to reset your phone to factory settings, I click yes, then I get the message, "there are not software updates available for your phone". So for the time being I am re-installing OS 10.1.0.2354
    07-27-13 11:32 PM
    Great information in this thread! I hope I never have to use any of it, but I'm staying tuned in to learn more!

I will say, if you are going to reload a leak, bump up to the one I'm using. See my sig.

- Posted via CB10 on Verizon Z10 running OS 10.1.0.4651 -
    07-28-13 12:04 AM
    Here's the key. BlackBerry Link cannot recognize everything. Darcy's tool is a gem if you really want to get into your higher leaked data, and wish to go back down to any official lower version.

I've tried this with four different higher leaked versions, created more data such as Remember memos, Calendar and contact additions, browser bookmarks, etc., and all the data from the higher leak came in to the lower official version with ease including newly downloaded apps from the higher leak!

The key is this. When you use Darcy's tool, you will automatically make a backup of your current version. After the changes, and using BlackBerry Link, it will pull the changed version you created and not recognize that originally it is a higher version. What I did was change the version in Darcy's tool to 10.0.0.0. Then, when I went to restore, everything was reset to original factory default, not a leak default, then subsequently ran the official carrier update during setup, and after completion, restored my higher leaked data in to the fresh lower factory carrier install. It worked clean, fresh, all apps and data restored without flaw.

www.blackberrynation.com
    07-28-13 02:20 AM
    If I was dead set on getting back to my carrier software, I would use Sachesi to download my carrier debrick files and make an autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 02:59 AM
    thanks for the help. However again no luck. Attached is an image of what i get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Software Update.jpg 
Views:	1161 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	186580
    Hello,

You need to follow the steps very carefully or else it will tell you there is no update. I know from experience because I've downgraded a few times.

Step 4: While your device is still OFF (by off, I mean you pressed and held the lock button on the top of the phone and held it down until the phone was shutting down fully), plug it in using the USB cable. Once it's plugged in, turn the device ON (it may turn ON on its own so pay careful attention to step 5 after you plug it in).

Step 5: As soon as you turn the device ON, wait for the OK button on the computer screen to become enabled and click OK as soon as possible.

Downgrading Leak OS to Official OS-ok.jpg

NOTE: If you miss the opportunity to click the OK button at the right time before your device boots up, you will need to repeat these steps.

If your device boots up without updating, then you missed the opportunity to click OK at the right time and you need to repeat.
    07-28-13 08:18 AM
    sk8er_tor - I will try this again tonight, I am thinking you are right and I missed the exact time to hit the OK button or the phone was not actually shut down. Thanks for the clarification.

BlackBerry Brian - "Great information in this thread! I hope I never have to use any of it, but I'm staying tuned in to learn more! " this is exactly why I started this thread so anyone that needed to do this can learn from one posting not 14 different ones.

Also just so everyone knows, my battery life and network connection sucks at work (only work) because of the phone constantly searching for a network.....so....I want to try the official Verizon software, that way I can call them and yell at them for having a crappy network in this populated area (Hampton, Virginia).
    07-29-13 10:50 AM
    Also just so everyone knows, my battery life and network connection sucks at work (only work) because of the phone constantly searching for a network.....so....I want to try the official Verizon software, that way I can call them and yell at them for having a crappy network in this populated area (Hampton, Virginia).
    It may be less off a crappy network and more of a dense building material thing, if you're having this issue actually inside your office building... :-) Just try to remember the poor Customer Service rep has nothing to do with the service area and your complaint won't do anything but possibly ruin his/her day, lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 02:36 PM
    option 3 always works
    07-29-13 05:33 PM
    Alright everyone deserves an update to my downgrade saga....

sk8er_tor - your last post on very detailed instructions on how to turn the phone off worked. I was able to downgrade to 10.1.0.2039 which right now is working really, really good.

WWBlondieDo - I agree that the building is dense and the network inside the building suffers. We been trying for 1+ years to get a repeater to boost our signal inside our office space but everything at my company is SLOOOW.

makaiman - I did not try Darcy's tool but I will be using it in the future. Thanks!

Thanks again everyone!
    sk8er_tor and WWBlondieDo like this.
    08-02-13 08:57 AM
    After a day of exhaustive reading/trying/waiting on hold below is my account on what I learned about downgrading BB10 OS on the Z10.

Much to my surprise Verizon finally produced an update 10.1.0.2051 however I am running 10.1.0.2354 which as well all know is a newer OS than the �official release� Being a BlackBerry self-proclaimed �fan boy or all things BlackBerry� I decided to downgrade to the VZW release, I had no idea what research I would eventually do, not to mention the frustration
    Looking on Crackberry many, many people said the below options:
    1.Do a security wipe from the phone (settings > security and privacy > Security Wipe). However, that does not downgrade the OS! That only �refreshes� the current OS installed on the Phone, taking it back to the day you installed that OS. Even if that OS is a leak.
    2.Do a �reload device software� from BlackBerry Link (Settings > Reload Device Software > Reload). That is supposed to work, however there is no guarantee due to the �leaked software�. And that option for me gave me a message stating there is no update for my BB device.
    3.Start to re-install the �leaked� software and pull the USB cable out of the phone as the software is installing on the phone, essentially bricking the phone. Which then BB Link will recognize the phone does not have software and install the correct OS.

Trying options 1 and 2 above with no success, I decided to give BlackBerry tech support a call. After many, many attempts, with the BB tech, to do a factory re-install of the software (see steps below) this is what the level 2 tech told me. He said that there was never any plan �downgrade� software, the plan was to always upgrade (I find that hard to believe, but I have heard worse, look at Windows 8, �nough said). He said if I could find an older leak and install it (E.G. 10.1.0.2009) then BBLink would see that there was a newer �official� release of software and install it (He also said this is what they been telling everyone all day today). Also, unlike older BB OS�s there is no plan to place the OS out there on BB site so people can download it directly to their PC. I asked about option 3 (bricking the phone), he said only if you cannot live with the software you have on your phone, and you were as unsuccessful as I was today and absolutely had to downgrade, then there is a slight chance it would truly brick the phone. Remember you are putting the software through a crash, which the debugging part of the software must take over, which could make it truly brick. He did say that they might be able to un-brick phones, however, there is no guarantee, and it is like a 50/50 chance it would work.

Factory Re-install Software
    1.Do not have your phone connected to the PC
    2.Turn off your Phone
    3.Have BB Link Running
    4.Using a BB USB cable, plug it into the PC then into your BB Phone
    5.In BB Link, go to Settings > Reload Device Software > Reload. (Note: Link is supposed to still read that your BB Phone is plugged in even though it is off)
    6.You will get a message stating that you are about to reset your phone to the original factory OS, click yes to continue.
    7.After installation and a reboot your phone will now be back to the original BB10 OS.
    8.Now you should be able to upgrade the OS.

So, after an exhausting day of trying to downgrade, I am left with OS 10.1.0.2354 and I will live with it until someone somewhere comes out with a method like we use to use on our old BB phones like JL Commander

Hope this helps someone out there.
    Use an autoloader below the official version. And it will install the official OS as a software update during setup. Easy peasy.

Via CB10 on my sexy Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633
    08-02-13 10:43 AM
    do the autoloader with leaked OS in your device, plug your phone into your computer and run the autoloader
    When it starts WRITING, unplug your phone. the RED LED will flash 3 times in patter, indicating your phone is "bricked".
    Open Blackberry Link and plug your phone in again. Your computer (BB Link) will say it can't communicate with your phone and you wull have a button to reload the software. Click on that and the default OS software will start to load, it won't be long, depend on your internet connection.
    When it's done, you will have to configure everything from scratch like when you first got it.
    when it gets to the "Checking for Updates" part, it will load the most recent OS update.
    After configuration is done, you will have the latest official OS

Restart Blackberry Link and plug the phone back in and everything should be back to normal with your old OS-loaded

Don't forget to back up your data before doing this.

Hope it is useful for you
    08-02-13 02:06 PM
29 12