I updated my z30 from 1925 to 2141 using sachesi.

The radio did not update and stayed at 1926, I tried to update to radio 2142 manually by creating an autoloader.

It bricked my device.

I am now reloading 2141 software using a full autoloader.

cheers.
    02-18-14 11:57 AM
    Something must have been wrong with your autoloader (you used the wrong file, you had a corrupt file), or your with device, sorry that happened to you, but a blanket statement not to upgrade the radio manually will not help anyone. There's nothing wrong with running a radio autoloader no matter if your OS was installed with Sachsei, OTA or with an autoloader itself. Once it's on there it's on there. This is just bad information.
    02-18-14 12:26 PM
    Something must have been wrong with your autoloader (you used the wrong file, you had a corrupt file), or your with device, sorry that happened to you, but a blanket statement not to upgrade the radio manually will not help anyone. There's nothing wrong with running a radio autoloader no matter if your OS was installed with Sachsei, OTA or with an autoloader itself. Once it's on there it's on there. This is just bad information.
    Actually, I know people had problems putting 1926 on devices that were updated OTA/Sachesi to 1925/1899. Radio autoloaders caused bricking there, too.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    02-18-14 12:29 PM
    I had a similar problem many, many leaks ago. Not sure why it happens as theoretically it shouldn't matter how the OS was installed. But, when going from a Sachesi based update (debrick) to a later OS upgrade via autoloader it caused me problems. This is not a blanket statement that it will always do that, but it did for me and it was probably user error on my part. Can't remember which version it was as it was months and months ago.
    02-18-14 01:47 PM
    I also used Sachesi to upgrade my Z10. Installed the two bar file non-destructive way, OS and Radio, and restarted the device. Looked in the About OS settings and noticed that the radio was not updated even though Sachesi didn't show any errors while installing. So I decided to try again to install the Radio bar. Phone Restarted after installation finished, Radio was updated and have not had any issues. I did however had to extract all of the apps from the full autoloader (OS and Radio) since I did the install a non-destructive way and none of the apps updated. Once extracted I manually chose to install only the 25 apps bar file that were updated from 1925.
    02-18-14 01:58 PM
    I updated to 2141 using Sachesi -- both OS and radio -- no problems.
    02-18-14 01:59 PM
    I updated to 2141 using Sachesi -- both OS and radio -- no problems.
    Same here.

I even sideload the radio file again to fix the RFA Issue, but sadly my RFA still don't work.
    That's the only issue I have since 1925.

@geenaxion Keepin' it Chill Z10 (10.2.1.2141) BB10Store on Aptoide Subscribe "Dance for Life" C0029D483
    02-19-14 10:28 AM
    I did however had to extract all of the apps from the full autoloader (OS and Radio) since I did the install a non-destructive way and none of the apps updated. Once extracted I manually chose to install only the 25 apps bar file that were updated from 1925.
    You can't upgrade from a debrick bar. You need to install all the applications manually for an OTA non-destructive update. Has always been the way. Better/faster to use the upgrade bars rather than installing the debrick bar and then extracting the apps and installing them.
    02-19-14 10:37 AM
    OK ... I was about to attempt a non destructive upgrade (normally go the autoloader route) using Sachesi. Was going to just load the whole folder. But now I'm confused by "debrick bars" and "upgrade bars". Can someone clarify for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 11:43 AM
    You can't upgrade from a debrick bar. You need to install all the applications manually for an OTA non-destructive update. Has always been the way. Better/faster to use the upgrade bars rather than installing the debrick bar and then extracting the apps and installing them.
    Ya lost me there :S
    I've been (non destructively) upgrading using sachesi via the debrick bars, ie from 10.2.0.1791-1803-1809, and from 1925-2141 - though I did use an autoloader for 1925. I've never actually used the "upgrade bars" (I've never side loaded then after loading the debrick bar either,
    but everything seems to be in order.. )

using sachesi + debrick bars to upgrade from major versions ie 10.1-10.2 and 10.2-10.2.1 would leave my device in an unusable state, hub would be black and phone would freeze after a couple touches. BUT it's been aOK when upgrading between minor versions
    Color me confused lol
    02-19-14 12:05 PM
    I'm not sure why it didn't update the radio file to 2142 on sachesi? It stayed on 1926.

I'm pretty sure I created a proper autoloader for 2142. I followed the instructions posted by thurask in the another thread.

Anyway, I just wanted people to be aware of this issue. Please be sure to backup your device before doing any updates!

You don't want to end up losing all your data!!!
    02-19-14 06:04 PM
    Load the Radio first then the OS
    02-19-14 09:34 PM
    I've not had any problems after sideloading from Sachesi to myZ10 through Mac over the past 6 months, which to my modest account (can't recall exactly t this point) covers the latest three or four BB10 OS version updates.

What I've seen, though, is that sometimes downloading the BB10 OS to my Mac using Sachesi comes out incomplete as some of the signed bar files show a 0% content. I noticed it by skimming through each signed bar file on the downloaded folder.

Also, I've sometimes seen that not all bar files get downloaded, that is, for example, if Sachesi shows there are154 files in the OS version/variant, the same number of bar files should have to be included in the downloaded folder. So after downloading, one should count how many files are in the folder and make sure that number equals to what Sachesi initially showed.

So whenever that happened I opted to delete the folder from my Mac and download the OS (which includes the radio file) again, until each and every bar file did not show a 0% content, and also all bar files were downloaded.

This took a lot of time, of course, but for me it was a safe way to make sure that the OS I would sideload to my Z10 was complete. Only after that I would sideload it to my device.

I think incomplete bar files (with 0% content) or an incomplete set of bar files in the folder (i.e, less than what Sachesi showed as contained in the OS version/variant) sometimes get downloaded due to poor wifi signal at certain moments during the downloading process.

My take on OP's issue is that he downloaded an incomplete set of bars (i.e, some of them had 0% content and/or were less in numbers than what Sachesi showed as contained in the OS version/variant) to his computer and then sideloaded them to his device, which corrupted the process and it's results.

Another cause of the problem might have been downloading and installing an OS for a specific BB10 device's variant (say STL 100-2) to a different one (say STL 100-1).

Needless to say, I'm just assuming things based on my experience with Sachesi and what OP has reported here, so please don't get exited at me, as I'm trying to figure out a cause of OP's problem.

What I can affirm though, from my own experience using Sachesi in downloading and installing BB10 OS versions on my device is that I have never come across an issue such as OP has reported, as I'm sure the vast majority of Sachesi users haven't either.

At any rate I would recommend OP to download the OS again through Sachesi and after making sure all bar files in the OS version/variant folder are complete, try installing it on the device.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 07:41 AM
    I second the OP on this.

Thinking that I would try the sachesi, non-destructive method, instead of the usual (autoloader, no restore, configure everything manually) method, I updated using Sachesi, and the Z10 came back up successfully after update but with no radio signal. Since I am on Verizon, (and I think the Sachesi method was using a Vodaphone radio), I figured no problem. I then loaded the Z10 STL100-4 radio and as soon as I did that, bricked device. Re-downloaded the radio file thinking that something must have been wrong with it, same result, blinking red led, bricked device. Re-loaded the entire 2141 with the autoloader, no problem and things have been fine since.
    Last edited by cottonakin; 02-20-14 at 12:49 PM.
    02-20-14 09:03 AM
    I've been (non destructively) upgrading using sachesi via the debrick bars, ie from 10.2.0.1791-1803-1809, and from 1925-2141 - though I did use an autoloader for 1925. I've never actually used the "upgrade bars" (I've never side loaded then after loading the debrick bar either,

using sachesi + debrick bars to upgrade from major versions ie 10.1-10.2 and 10.2-10.2.1 would leave my device in an unusable state, hub would be black and phone would freeze after a couple touches. BUT it's been aOK when upgrading between minor versions
    Color me confused lol
    It's simple. By loading the debrick bars like you have been doing, you don't get the new apps. I'm talking about the basic apps, like Andriod, clock, compass, hub, and so on. During a minor upgrade the changes between OS versions may be minor enough that very few things (if any) would actually stop working, but you're losing out on most of the benefits of upgrading going this way. Between 1925 and 2141 only 26 apps were actually updated, but you'd have none of the updates and are relying on the old ones being able to work with the new OS.

Doing a major upgrade, the apps would be too far off the versions that you'd expect for that OS so many things would stop working. Hub may not load, android may fail to work, and so on.

Yes, the apps are actually be in the debrick bar, but when you load the debrick bar file as a bar file they're IGNORED. This is not a sachesi limitation, this is the way the blackberry was designed to work. There's technical reasons for this which I won't get into at this time. The debrick bar file is meant to be turned into an autoloader really where it will update everything, but also wipe your device.

Simply put, if you're expecting a complete OS upgrade with just 2 bar files you're not getting the whole experience. You NEED to load the updated apps as well. Doing this you can do upgrades between major versions without running into the problems you've described. The simplest way to do that is just use the upgrade bar file method which will get you 150+ bar files and load them all at the same time. Unless you need to do an autoloader, forget that the debrick option even exists.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    02-20-14 09:15 AM
    I updated my z30 from 1925 to 2141 using sachesi.

The radio did not update and stayed at 1926, I tried to update to radio 2142 manually by creating an autoloader.

It bricked my device.

I am now reloading 2141 software using a full autoloader.

cheers.
    Your title is misleading, you shouldn't blame Sachesi for whatever happened to your device.

I suspect you did something wrong in the process. I also upgraded my Z30 STA 100-5 with Sachesi to 2141. Everything include Radio was upgraded properly. No issues for me at all. I bet many Z30 and Z10 users on this forum also used Sachesi successfully upgraded their devices.

You really shouldn't make statement like that "Dont's use Sachesi ......" just because you failed to use it properly.
    02-20-14 09:21 AM
    Your title is misleading, you shouldn't blame Sachesi for whatever happened to your device.

I suspect you did something wrong in the process. I also upgraded my Z30 STA 100-5 with Sachesi to 2141. Everything include Radio was upgraded properly. No issues for me at all. I bet many Z30 and Z10 users on this forum also used Sachesi successfully upgraded their devices.

You really shouldn't make statement like that "Dont's use Sachesi ......" just because you failed to use it properly.
    Just because Sachesi failed to do a radio upgrade doesn't invalidate this thread. The OP was saying not to use an autoloader if the radio file failed to update.

You want validation? Ok, I tested. upgraded from 1925 using Sachesi. worked fine. Even though I had the proper radio file I made a radio file only autoloader and ran it.

You know what happened? it bricked my phone.

Tried a different radio file in an autoloader, and it didn't work either.

Somehow doing an OS upgrade via Sachesi (presumably via OTA as well) makes it so you cannot load a radio file via autoloader. May not happen to everyone, but it happened to me, and several other people too.

THE WAY TO FIX IT

To fix it I made an autoloader with both OS and Radio. I used the upgrade OS bar so it wouldn't wipe my phone (The autoloader in this case is approximately 370MB in size). Loaded that and it worked just fine, and all the radio-only loaders I made previously worked just fine too after this.

Long story short, there is a potential problem where you CANNOT flash a radio file via autoloader without bricking your phone, but there is a way to recover from it without wiping your phone too.
    02-20-14 09:41 AM
    It's simple. By loading the debrick bars like you have been doing, you don't get the new apps. I'm talking about the basic apps, like Andriod, clock, compass, hub, and so on. During a minor upgrade the changes between OS versions may be minor enough that very few things (if any) would actually stop working, but you're losing out on most of the benefits of upgrading going this way. Between 1925 and 2141 only 26 apps were actually updated, but you'd have none of the updates and are relying on the old ones being able to work with the new OS.

Doing a major upgrade, the apps would be too far off the versions that you'd expect for that OS so many things would stop working. Hub may not load, android may fail to work, and so on.

Yes, the apps are actually be in the debrick bar, but when you load the debrick bar file as a bar file they're IGNORED. This is not a sachesi limitation, this is the way the blackberry was designed to work. There's technical reasons for this which I won't get into at this time. The debrick bar file is meant to be turned into an autoloader really where it will update everything, but also wipe your device.

Simply put, if you're expecting a complete OS upgrade with just 2 bar files you're not getting the whole experience. You NEED to load the updated apps as well. Doing this you can do upgrades between major versions without running into the problems you've described. The simplest way to do that is just use the upgrade bar file method which will get you 150+ bar files and load them all at the same time. Unless you need to do an autoloader, forget that the debrick option even exists.
    Thanks a mill, I'd of never noticed about the apps not updating *facepalm..

Can I also sideload the upgrade os bar to fix the problem? (removed .desktop from the debrick url, 294mb bar) edit : nope. Upgrade app bars it is
    Thanks
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 02-20-14 at 12:14 PM.
    02-20-14 11:26 AM
    Actually, I know people had problems putting 1926 on devices that were updated OTA/Sachesi to 1925/1899. Radio autoloaders caused bricking there, too.

Posted via CB10
    Mr. Thurask, as you know I too bricked my Z30 after using Sachesi to update to 2141, the radio file didn't update and I used a radio autoloader which caused Zee brick. While it pains me to see this happen to others, it does make me feel a bit better about my experience. Haven't bricked a BB since my 8530

The BlackBerry Z30 Everybody!
    02-20-14 04:48 PM

Color me confused lol
    Yes, you've been doing it wrong. None of the applications have been updated using that method. This is likely to be buggy at best (eg.minor versions) and not work at worst (eg. major versions).

Upgrade bars are for upgrading (non-destructive).
    Debrick bars are for creating autoloaders.
    02-20-14 06:32 PM
    Yes, you've been doing it wrong. None of the applications have been updated using that method. This is likely to be buggy at best (eg.minor versions) and not work at worst (eg. major versions).

Upgrade bars are for upgrading (non-destructive).
    Debrick bars are for creating autoloaders.
    Thanks again.. but darcy did already clear that up for me, lol
    02-20-14 10:34 PM
    I made my Z10 on AT&T laggy (and wifi dropped a lot) as anything from doing a radio-only Autoloader back in the day. Luckily they warrantied it for free. I'd definitely avoid that format.
    02-20-14 10:47 PM
    I made an autoloader with both OS and Radio. I used the upgrade OS bar so it wouldn't wipe my phone
    That's an interesting concept on its own. I had never thought of creating an autoloader with the upgrade bars. Presumably that could just be done from the start as well for those so inclined.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:54 AM
    That's an interesting concept on its own. I had never thought of creating an autoloader with the upgrade bars. Presumably that could just be done from the start as well for those so inclined.

Posted via CB10
    Technically, yes, however you can only put the core OS and Radio into the autoloader, not the apps. So you still need to side load all apps.

Doing it as an autoloader is a little bit faster than installing the radio/os as bar files. Instead of the phone having to save the bar files, unzip it, then save it to an OS partition, the autoloader skips the first steps and writes it direct to an OS partition. If you want to go this route, I'd side load all the apps first, followed by the non-destructive loader which would also take care of the phone reboot.

It can obviously be used as a recovery tactic if you want to try recovering from bricking without wiping your phone, but beyond that I wouldn't actually recommend it.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 08:49 PM
    If you want to go this route, I'd side load all the apps first, followed by the non-destructive loader which would also take care of the phone reboot.
    This won't work if the app requires the OS version. For instance, some apps in 10.2.0 require OS 10.2.0 so you can't upgrade from 10.1 using that method. The installs will fail due to wrong OS.
    Kristianto Nugroho likes this.
    02-23-14 03:41 AM
26 12