So, I heard of the "support ending" message that was given to users of Whatsapp on BB10... so I delayed my update and was like, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" approach to the update and continued to use the old version...

Well, today I was presented with the following:

Don't denying it... whatsapp will go!-img_20160806_144935.png

So, I updated.. and straight after updating and relaunching I was given that message:

Don't denying it... whatsapp will go!-img_20160806_145409_edit.png

Hmm.. well, I have my Android on standby.

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-06-16 08:56 AM
    Unless BBM is able to catch up to WhatsApp features standardisation then perhaps BBM might be an option then.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-06-16 09:12 AM
    Older versions on all platforms get locked out after a while IIRC.
    08-06-16 09:36 AM
    Unless BBM is able to catch up to WhatsApp features standardisation then perhaps BBM might be an option then.

Catch up with features? BBM is more feature filled then whatsapp. Video chat, message retraction which is now expanded to include everything, and not to mention actual groups and not just glorified multiperson chats (which BBM also has).

Up until the most recent BBM update, the only thing whatsapp had on BBM in my opinion is the ability to share large video. And now BBM has fixed that.

anon(8719892) likes this.
    08-06-16 09:51 AM
    Catch up with features? BBM is more feature filled then whatsapp. Video chat, message retraction which is now expanded to include everything, and not to mention actual groups and not just glorified multiperson chats (which BBM also has).

Up until the most recent BBM update, the only thing whatsapp had on BBM in my opinion is the ability to share large video. And now BBM has fixed that.

I agree with you..

BUT, in relation to the sharing of large video files, this still appears to be a major setback on BBM! :-(

Don't denying it... whatsapp will go!-img_20160806_164400.png

08-06-16 10:45 AM
    I agree with you..

BUT, in relation to the sharing of large video files, this still appears to be a major setback on BBM! :-(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160806_164400.png 
Views:	1077 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	405673

Nope only on BB10. On android and ios I can share 4 minute long video

jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-06-16 12:33 PM
    Nope only on BB10. On android and ios I can share 4 minute long videos. Much larger than 16MB and BBM compresses. Largest I have sent so far has been 154 MB.

08-06-16 01:13 PM
    BBM beats whatsapp on many features except the one that counts: installed userbase.

Posted via CB10
    BBVill and DiegoV_G like this.
    08-07-16 07:36 AM
    So what? You gonna loose your friends because of app? Stop bitchin

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 07:43 AM
    Wow! That's a massive difference. I never knew that...

Wonder why they left us BB10 devices in the dark with that much needed update?!

08-07-16 02:02 PM
    Wow! That's a massive difference. I never knew that...

Wonder why they left us BB10 devices in the dark with that much needed update?!

I'm not sure why it didn't change for BB10. But with both this and BBM video not working to other devices it makes me wonder. Is it some limitation? Is it BlackBerry just not wanting to focus resources on BB10? It doesn't add up.

08-07-16 03:10 PM
    I think you will lost some friends~ But I also think you can change a phone ?
    08-07-16 10:52 PM
    BBM sucks! Unstable video chat, intermittent network availability for video and voice calls.
    08-08-16 01:20 AM
    I'm not sure why it didn't change for BB10. But with both this and BBM video not working to other devices it makes me wonder. Is it some limitation? Is it BlackBerry just not wanting to focus resources on BB10? It doesn't add up.

That's a good point!

08-08-16 01:45 AM
    You know what BBM also lacks in comparison to whatsapp? End-to-End encryption. And this one really counts

BBM beats whatsapp on many features except the one that counts: installed userbase.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 05:10 AM
    You know what BBM also lacks in comparison to whatsapp? End-to-End encryption. And this one really counts
    It's called BBM Protected and you just have to pay for it.

Via Pasta CB10
    08-08-16 05:31 AM
    Nope it does not actually. It's just not free. And I had to wonder whats really true when a company is owned by Facebook.

moyah8 likes this.
    08-08-16 07:25 AM

Excuse me Ray689 please read my post completely. I said ;

"Unless BBM is able to catch up to WhatsApp features standardisation then perhaps BBM might be an option then."

Note "WhatsApp features standardisation" I did not mean WhatsApp features.

This means;

1. You can share videos in whatsapp individual chat & group chat

2. You can share location in both WhatsApp individual chat & group chat

3. You can share any type of documents in WhatsApp individual chat & group chats

4. You can share voice notes on both WhatsApp individual chat & group chat.

5. You can share contact information in both WhatsApp individual chat & group chat.

These standardisation makes WhatsApp more convenient & feature rich. Honestly I prefer certain features of BBM group chat like :

a. Stickers

b. Retracting messages

c. Time messages

d. Editing messages

e. Listings

f. Group calendars

Unfortunately these are not good enough because the basics are not there yet.

08-08-16 01:33 PM
    Whatsapp is probably the less serious company in terms of updates, their expiration dates and mandatory update are worst than a joke.

Backwards compatibility for any protocol should work for many years, phone consumer are not anymore geeks or professionals, so they do what they want without any concern.

If the email/ftp/torrent/www were using the same behaviour we will still in the times of spectrum and amstrad

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 01:39 PM
    Whatsapp is probably the less serious company in terms of updates, their expiration dates and mandatory update are worst than a joke.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

I hate compulsory update! That is what I was hit with intially following the programe expiration!

Pathetic.

08-08-16 02:15 PM
    I prefer WhatsApp's update policy to the others as it ensures everyone roughly has the same features, security, etc. Have you ever chatted with a BBM contact that was a few updates behind or on Windows Phone? It's not a great experience.
    08-08-16 02:38 PM
    Excuse me Ray689 please read my post completely. I said ;

"Unless BBM is able to catch up to WhatsApp features standardisation then perhaps BBM might be an option then."

Note "WhatsApp features standardisation" I did not mean WhatsApp features.

This means;

1. You can share videos in whatsapp individual chat & group chat

2. You can share location in both WhatsApp individual chat & group chat

3. You can share any type of documents in WhatsApp individual chat & group chats

4. You can share voice notes on both WhatsApp individual chat & group chat.

5. You can share contact information in both WhatsApp individual chat & group chat.

These standardisation makes WhatsApp more convenient & feature rich. Honestly I prefer certain features of BBM group chat like :

a. Stickers

b. Retracting messages

c. Time messages

d. Editing messages

e. Listings

f. Group calendars

Unfortunately these are not good enough because the basics are not there yet.

BBM can do all those things in multiperson chats which is what whatsapp groups actually are.

08-08-16 05:46 PM
    I love whatsapp a bit because it allow you to do stuff for group. Because BBM have the meeting version, BBM suffers, hence making whatsapp king. But whatsapp is so insecurity and allow you to be monitored, I just want it off my phone. Again BB failing to provide a product to the market and getting users on. Its simple process. Common sense doesnt prevail when it comes too BB.
    08-08-16 07:35 PM
    BBM can do all those things in multiperson chats which is what whatsapp groups actually are.

I totally agree with you that BBM can do all these that WhatsApp do in multiperson chat.

So do you have a group chat & a multiperson chat with the same group of people at the same time & on the same topic? E.g. do you have a "Project A Group Chat" and at the same time have a "Project A - multiperson chat" ?

I think it is confusing for people this way. The reason is because you won't be discussing something with Project A group in the group chat and just because you suddenly need to share a document with everyone, you skip to a multiperson chat, right? People will suddenly not understand what you are talking about.

08-08-16 08:48 PM
    I totally agree with you that BBM can do all these that WhatsApp do in multiperson chat.

So do you have a group chat & a multiperson chat with the same group of people at the same time & on the same topic? E.g. do you have a "Project A Group Chat" and at the same time have a "Project A - multiperson chat" ?

I think it is confusing for people this way. The reason is because you won't be discussing something with Project A group in the group chat and just because you suddenly need to share a document with everyone, you skip to a multiperson chat, right? People will suddenly not understand what you are talking about.

Yes I do agree with you that all this should be part of groups in BBM as they are now. I misread your initial post on features.

08-08-16 08:52 PM
39 12