Hello,

So I really do my best to avoid whatsapp. Never was comfortable with its security.

Unfortunately, I am forced to use it.

My question is, if I installed it on my BB10 device. Does it in anyway affect the OS? Or are its insecurities only contained to within itself?

Aside from security, does it mess with the OS' performance? Battery life? Etc.

Thank you.
    02-10-14 12:51 PM
    I don't know about the security issue, but older versions of it definitely ate my battery faster even though I didn't use it much, so I deleted it. I reinstalled it last week to converse with a friend travelling to Thailand (he has an iPhone and is hooked on WhatsApp). Thankfully it doesn't seem to be as much of a battery drain as the older versions I originally installed.
    jericho 2550 likes this.
    02-10-14 01:00 PM
    I can't fathom why you would be forced to use it.

But as far as security goes, that depends on what permission it asks for, and what data is gathered from your device. Anything uploaded to their servers would be subject to their security, which I agree is not very impressive.

Edit: read their privacy policy. I just did and that was enough justification for me to stick with my first instinct not to use it.
    Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 and jericho 2550 like this.
    02-10-14 05:03 PM
    Thanks!

I guess I need to pressure my friends and family to get on BBM.
    02-11-14 11:29 AM
    Reviving this thread again.

So we established that Whatsapp does lack some security.

But my question is, does it affect the security of the whole OS once it's installed? Or are its insecurities contained only within the app.

Like can it access my files on my BB and open it up to them? I understand images shared over whatsapp are fair game.

Thanks.
    02-21-14 09:10 AM
    Like can it access my files on my BB and open it up to them? I understand images shared over whatsapp are fair game.

Thanks.
    If it requests shared files access permission, and you grant it, then yes it can open your files. All of them.
    02-21-14 11:17 AM
    After I installed Whatsapp two months ago for the first time, I really noticed a drop in battery performance. It's not huge, yet it is large enough I can notice it.
    You can basicly strip WhatsApp from virtually all rights, that's what I did. However the app is fairly cut this way:
    I can only chat with people who actually start chatting with me first. I can only see their phone numbers, not names. I can't access their profiles either.

This way WhatsApp has no access to my phonebook, which is one of the things which are important to me. Currently quite some of my contacts are suddenly concerned abput WhatsApp, because they avoid Facebook. Now they suddenly are worried and are looking for alternatives. If there is one good timing to push BBM to your friends, it is right now!

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    Richard Buckley and dilijasi like this.
    02-21-14 11:58 AM
    Hello,

So I really do my best to avoid whatsapp. Never was comfortable with its security.

Unfortunately, I am forced to use it.

My question is, if I installed it on my BB10 device. Does it in anyway affect the OS? Or are its insecurities only contained to within itself?

Aside from security, does it mess with the OS' performance? Battery life? Etc.

Thank you.
    Just had to ask before going through the entire thread. How are you forced to use any software?
    02-21-14 12:15 PM
    Just had to ask before going through the entire thread. How are you forced to use any software?
    I presume the op has many contacts on whatsapp. These people apparently have no issue with security or battery drain their devices.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-21-14 12:17 PM
    Yes I would say WhatsApp somehow has an effect on both battery and my QTEN, when I delete it and use the phone for a few days with same functionality as with other apps, I see a huge difference, but i'm also "forced" to use it too, lots of my contacts haven't switched to BBM (they still using Nokia's lol)

The OS is kinda slow to respond sometimes when I have WhatsApp running in the background, well I can't say it's ONLY this app, so i'm not totally dissing it, but it isn't fully compatible or stable with BB10 somehow.

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    02-21-14 12:49 PM
    After I installed Whatsapp two months ago for the first time, I really noticed a drop in battery performance. It's not huge, yet it is large enough I can notice it.
    You can basicly strip WhatsApp from virtually all rights, that's what I did. However the app is fairly cut this way:
    I can only chat with people who actually start chatting with me first. I can only see their phone numbers, not names. I can't access their profiles either.

This way WhatsApp has no access to my phonebook, which is one of the things which are important to me. Currently quite some of my contacts are suddenly concerned abput WhatsApp, because they avoid Facebook. Now they suddenly are worried and are looking for alternatives. If there is one good timing to push BBM to your friends, it is right now!

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    Good point!

I will definitely use the Facebook "opportunity" to push my friends on to BBM.

Thanks again everyone, very clear that it isn't a very stable and secure software.

Definitely won't install the software on my BB. If I have to, I'll install it on an old android device without my contacts on it.

Thanks again!
    02-21-14 01:56 PM