Classic user here. Trying to figure a battery drain that I have. I've upgraded to the newest version via Autoloader - 10.3.2.798 and started a fresh. I have minimal Android apps. But I still notice a drain when using the browser. In a hour, battery life drops from 100 to 78%. Is it true that it takes a few days for the battery to optimize itself? Or am I having a faulty device.
    06-10-15 10:40 AM
    No. That's a myth based on nothing objective or scientific, and I wish it would die. I'd suggest a hard reboot/reset if you think the battery is draining too fast (not just a regular reboot). That worked for me when my Passport battery was draining fast. Consider also that it could just be heavy use on your part that you are not realizing.

Posted via CB10
    Dr J39 likes this.
    06-10-15 10:45 AM
    No. That's a myth based on nothing objective or scientific, and I wish it would die. I'd suggest a hard reboot/reset if you think the battery is draining too fast (not just a regular reboot). That worked for me when my Passport battery was draining fast. Consider also that it could just be heavy use on your part that you are not realizing.

Posted via CB10
    Tried that a couple times. It didn't really work. My device isn't heating up though. Just when I watch a Youtube video from the browser. The battery drops 3% in a 4 min video clip. Apps running on the background was just Reddit in Motion and Whatsapp in BlackBerry Hub.
    06-10-15 10:54 AM
    I think that you may be correct with that assumption. After installing 10.3.2.798 on my Z30, I had battery drain issues for about two days. The battery is performing like a champ now. The feature I welcome the most is the ability to edit the text field in the phone app.
    06-10-15 11:14 AM
    I agree with Seth. These phones are composed of hardware, firmware, and software. The hardware does not change, except for wear and tear. The firmware can be changed, but cannot change itself. The Software is just code, it is not alive, it cannot think, it cannot change its mind, or become more comfortable with its new functions. I can see no scientific basis for the concept of "settling in." Batteries, on the other hand, can react differently according to temperature, chargers, age, or the way they are used (or abused).
    06-10-15 01:47 PM
    It is know that the phone does some indexing of data and pictures after an update which requires more processing power which uses more battery. Once this is done it settles down to its usual routines.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    06-10-15 02:27 PM
    It is know that the phone does some indexing of data and pictures after an update which requires more processing power which uses more battery. Once this is done it settles down to its usual routines.

Posted via CB10
    True.
    It would also synch with various accounts and apps on the phone.
    Some heavy synching will use up cpu and so use up battery power , so yeah, a few hours to settle down is logical.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 02:49 PM
    I think that you may be correct with that assumption. After installing 10.3.2.798 on my Z30, I had battery drain issues for about two days. The battery is performing like a champ now. The feature I welcome the most is the ability to edit the text field in the phone app.
    Hopefully it's only a few days.
    06-10-15 06:34 PM
    In all honesty, many will say this whole "settling in" is nonsense but I have had first hand experience with it.

When I got my new device, the battery used to drop from 80% to say 50% quite quickly but when it got to 19% it suddenly lasted forever.

I understand the device is "not alive" or anything but running your battery down to say 5% just let's your device calibrate and let's it know exactly how much juice is left in the battery. Battery percentages are not always correct in the first couple days.

Else, if battery life is still bad, possibly shut down completely and re-boot.

Trust me, I'm a software developer :P
    Check dat little reference 2 lines up.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    06-11-15 01:25 AM
    I don't think it's a myth at all. It might not be 'calibrating' or 'settling' but if you look at the CPU usage in your device monitor, the system is running way hotter than it normally does for the first while after you install a new OS. It's syncing with all of your accounts, apps, etc. Indexing all of your contacts, messages, media, etc.
    With as fluid as BB10 is, there is no way that it is pulling all of that info every time you access it, once it's indexed it's there for you and ready to go. Your Berry is keeping itself busy doing all that work and, depending on how much there is for it to sort through, your device will take a little while to 'settle' down.
    Don't panic.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    06-11-15 01:39 AM
    I don't think it's a myth at all. It might not be 'calibrating' or 'settling' but if you look at the CPU usage in your device monitor, the system is running way hotter than it normally does for the first while after you install a new OS. It's syncing with all of your accounts, apps, etc. Indexing all of your contacts, messages, media, etc.
    With as fluid as BB10 is, there is no way that it is pulling all of that info every time you access it, once it's indexed it's there for you and ready to go. Your Berry is keeping itself busy doing all that work and, depending on how much there is for it to sort through, your device will take a little while to 'settle' down.
    Don't panic.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Sure, for the first few hours. Days? No way.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 05:39 AM