I recently set up picture password on my Z10, and due to a combination of putting my finger over my number (since then I've heard numerous tips saying that's not the best way to do it) and stubbornness, I quickly found myself at 5 used password attempts, after which it decided to stop trying to show me the picture altogether and instead ask for a plaintext password. This is some bull****, because it effectively reduces the number of valid attempts from 10 to 5 without saying anything about it. None of my old text passwords worked, so now I'm stuck at 8 attempts out of 10 with no apparent way to get into my phone unless it shows the picture again.

I stopped in to a Verizon store to ask them about it, and the guy there said that it should time out after a while, but the only information I can find anywhere (including BlackBerry's official docs, which are less than helpful) is this, which seems to say otherwise. I tried resetting the phone and doing a battery pull, all to no avail.

Is there any chance of getting back into my phone without wiping all of my data, or will I just have to bite the bullet and do it? If it's the latter, then what the **** was BlackBerry thinking when they 1) made picture password switch halfway through to a plaintext password, and 2) when they decided to put no timeout in to the number of password attempts?
    04-02-14 02:32 PM
    Security. After 10 failed attempts it will wipe. Even with a picture password you still need to remember an alpha-numeric password for logging in on a computer and what not. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 02:43 PM
    I recently set up picture password on my Z10, and due to a combination of putting my finger over my number (since then I've heard numerous tips saying that's not the best way to do it) and stubbornness, I quickly found myself at 5 used password attempts, after which it decided to stop trying to show me the picture altogether and instead ask for a plaintext password. This is some bull****, because it effectively reduces the number of valid attempts from 10 to 5 without saying anything about it.

[...]

what the **** was BlackBerry thinking when they 1) made picture password switch halfway through to a plaintext password, and 2) when they decided to put no timeout in to the number of password attempts?
    I am sorry you have problems with the password, but as you may read in what yourself just wrote, the one who "switch halfway through to a plaintext password" was yourself.

Putting a timeout for the number of password attempts would make for a less secure phone - as someone with a good knowledge of the phone's owner would have a significant chance of finding the right password.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    04-02-14 02:43 PM
    They were thinking about security, man. That was dumb on your behalf, and I'm not trying to be rude.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    04-02-14 02:48 PM
    Then why did my old system password not work if it needed to keep it for this?
    04-02-14 02:51 PM
    Okay guys, he's frustrated enough. No need to gang up on him.
    I accidentally set a different password one time, and I can remember getting pretty stressed out. Finally figured out after 8 bad attempts.
    04-02-14 02:52 PM
    Come on folks. Remember your passwords...

Posted via Z10
    04-02-14 02:52 PM
    did you type your text password when the system is asking you to type "blackberry" ?
    04-02-14 02:54 PM
    No, I got past that point.
    04-02-14 02:55 PM
    I very clearly remember my old password, and I switched from that to the picture password, but that one doesn't work now.
    04-02-14 02:56 PM
    Then why did my old system password not work if it needed to keep it for this?
    Hi Damien,
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    When this adventure is over, please update your profile to show device, carrier, and location. Makes it easier for others to help you.

When you set up Picture Password, you would have to enter your alphanumeric password first. You must have set that as something different than what you're trying, whether by accident or by design.

I have 2 possible ideas for resetting the count. Can't guarantee either will work, but it's worth a try.
    1. Device reset: Hold down top key and don't release until after the red LED flashes on then off. If that doesn't work, try again by holding down the Volume Up & Down keys together.
    2. Battery pull: with BB10 you don't battery pull to reset, but this would be an exception.

And yes, I also only just figured out myself to place my finger elsewhere and maneuver my number to my spot. (I've only been using Picture Password for week and a half.)
    04-02-14 03:03 PM
    Switching to your text password is to make it easier, not harder.
    You can also pretty easily go through 5 tries for picture password if you mis-touch the screen.

Also, there is no timeout as that defeats the purpose of the password because with infinite number of tries, someone is bound to guess it if they really wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 03:11 PM
    Thinking back, I may have updated my password just before setting up picture password... hadn't realized that I would still need it. Thanks for the tips, I'll give those a try.

Does anyone know if I can still access it via samba if that was set up already?
    04-02-14 03:11 PM
    I didn't set up a BlackBerry ID, but I did finally manage to connect through Samba, which uses a different password. It looks like I'll still need to wipe my phone, but I'm backing up all my photos and stuff as I type this so I can just put them back afterwards.

Phew, dodged a bullet there.
    04-02-14 04:56 PM
    I believe the reason the Picture Password is set at 5 attempts is because it has a fairly limited number of combinations. Due to screen size, the size of the number, and the allowance it gives there is a slight possibility it can be unlooked by random guesses or screen touching. Also, given the tendency of people to choose a focal point on the picture, 10 numbers and 10 guesses, it maybe considerably easy to unlock.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, I know it sucks when you can't remember your password. But, on the other hand BB hasn't half done their security, it's been well thought out. I know of no way to get around the 10 tries aside from a reset.
    04-02-14 05:11 PM
    This happened to me with simple password. I know you don't want to wipe your phone, but something that worked for me was doing a factory reset. It didn't wipe my phone just think it reset the settings to factory. On BlackBerry Link it is called "Reload Device Software ".

Read the small print and it says "restore your BlackBerry to its factory settings. "

I did this and it reset and did not wipe my phone. Hope that works if you haven't already fixed it.

CB10 on Z10 AT&T STL 100-3 OS 10.2.1.2947 Vote for Z10 http://www.phonedog.com/rankings/smartphones
    milkphish likes this.
    04-02-14 06:26 PM
    How were you able to “mount” the phone to the computer if the password is lost? When I plug my phone into the computer, the Device Manager asks for the password - which is lost/forgotten.
    12-08-20 06:59 PM
    How were you able to “mount” the phone to the computer if the password is lost? When I plug my phone into the computer, the Device Manager asks for the password - which is lost/forgotten.
    You are responding to a 6 year old thread, and much of what was posted is no longer valid unless you're still on OS 10.2.1.xxxx. Everything changed once theft protection was added in 10.3.2.
    12-08-20 10:21 PM
    Not much you can do if you don't have the password info.....

The are ways to reload the OS and get around 10.3 theft protection, but no way to retrieve or access the data on the phone...
    12-09-20 09:06 AM
    You are responding to a 6 year old thread, and much of what was posted is no longer valid unless you're still on OS 10.2.1.xxxx. Everything changed once theft protection was added in 10.3.2.
    Yeah one of the problems with SEARCH, is sometimes the solutions of the past.. don't work in the here and now.
    12-09-20 09:07 AM