Just upgraded to a passport from a z30. Passport is so much faster than a z30 expecially with android apps. Did not really want the physical keyboard but am loving it. The touch capacity is awesome. With at least two more os updates I'm not worried. With the amazon app store one would think they would have to update the runtime at some point?

Posted via CB10
    I do not believe they can/will update the android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 02:13 AM
    If someone needs a lot of apps like Android apps on Samsung or others, he should go for Priv or Samsung devices. I have been using Passport for 6 months, and installing some apps for my daily life demand. I am now happy with my Passport.
    07-11-16 02:22 AM
    In so many of these threads I never quite know whether the original author has a BB10 phone or uses one beyond personal communications. The withdrawal of updates to an OS, which still has legs, confounds me why there is so much worry of the existing hardware's future value. If someone hasn't used a BlackBerry at length that is, I might expect this to be a concern, but to this degree, no. It seems such a red herring vs function.

So little of the utility of BB10 and pkb hardware is mentioned beyond "what suits you best " arguments.

From the LED notifications or whitelists, scheduled emails to physical shortcut keys are unique functions to Blackberries. It ensures I will keep running a BB10 device for as long as it still works as a daily tool. Nothing exists in iOS or Android which has the compelling utility or refinement of BB10 devices, even apps which deliver these features.

I've only seen the same utility previously in Nokia's Symbian OS.

 Classic via CB
    Last edited by Pixel Spartan; 07-11-16 at 11:04 PM.
    07-11-16 02:51 AM
    I've only seen the same utility previously in Nokia's Symbian OS. If Blackberry gave us the option to subscribe to the BB10 OS, I'd gladly pay an annual fee. Worth it for the device I use everyday and for it to have the support it needs to continue development.
    Subscription method will charge the users and needs developments, if it's not going well, users might not want to subscribe and the development will stop (die). And also it's an OS, why do users need to pay more for the OS for the phone they buy with money? OS is meant to be included with the phone.
    07-11-16 03:37 AM
    Subscription method will charge the users and needs developments, if it's not going well, users might not want to subscribe and the development will stop (die). And also it's an OS, why do users need to pay more for the OS for the phone they buy with money? OS is meant to be included with the phone.
    Valid point about development being entirely at the mercy of user subscription. I edited my post on this thread as I took that part of my comment to a new thread here, http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1079290

I do see how easy it is to dismiss the viability of paying for an OS, particularly as the defacto standard now is free. BB10 is so well done, leagues better than iOS or Android that I was simply expressing that I'd pay for it annually. Might be a pointless sentiment but l felt the same for Epoc (Psion) and Symbian OSs. Both of whom left the industry because of the huge adoption numbers of the competition. Though I loathe SaaS pricing models I think hardware will not survive this paradigm shift. Apple's doing both hardware and software and even if the latter is free, it is a component of their generous prices.

 Classic via CB
    07-11-16 11:12 PM
    the BlackBerry OS10 is the most advanced and superior over all the rest of the lot.
    Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Ya right, you do realize that BB10 hasn't seen any major updates in like 2 years right?
    Ronindan likes this.
    07-12-16 01:20 AM
    As well as one in use I have two Z10s pristine in their boxes and a few batteries. Between them I hope they last as long as I do, or as long as I know what a smart phone is. I have a PP but could never get with the size or the keyboard much as I appreciate the enhanced speed. When I don't need email any more that's the FIRST thing to go, believe me. Leaving Netflix, Kindle and Audible as the must-haves. The only real grind is the sloth of the browser ( Just finished this gloomy story from the UK Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...rise-and-fall/
    which makes sad reading. No phone will ever be so elegant or so utterly desirable.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 10:12 AM
    Good luck with windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    Windows phone is actually coming along quite nicely.
    07-12-16 07:40 PM
    If I want to play games and have funny faced snappy chatty I will get an android play thing. I prefer to used my BB10 communication device for just that and it does it well thx

Posted via CB10
    07-13-16 03:15 PM
    Pick up a Z10 or a Q10 for under one hundred. I think it is still a good deal.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-16 03:44 PM
    Ya right, you do realize that BB10 hasn't seen any major updates in like 2 years right?
    Actually, 10.3.2 was released to carriers worldwide less than 1 year ago and introduced several enhancements including:

- Anti-Theft Protection � If your smartphone is lost or stolen, with the new anti-theft feature in BlackBerry Protect, the smartphone cannot used by someone else.

- Camera enhancements in image capturing, improved face detection and more

- BlackBerry Calendar Meeting Mode customizations, time zone preview and growing numbers in month view

- And don�t forget BlackBerry Blend 1.2 � A new user interface, spell check capabilities and portrait mode in tablets.
    Last edited by PwrSurge; 07-14-16 at 07:20 AM.
    Joey Hutchison likes this.
    07-14-16 07:00 AM
    Just finished this gloomy story from the UK Telegraph:

That article is not entirely accurate as only the Classic was discontinued and not others.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 07:03 AM
    If you don't need Android or iOS apps, but do need email, calendar, tasks, contacts, SMS, external SD card, great music player, file management and maps (from TomTom) then a BB10 phone is very compelling.

If you use Office 365, Outlook online, or Exchange server, it's really, really good. A bit less so for Google Apps, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-14-16 10:48 AM
    It's the type of the apps and box of chocolate style performance of those apps. Good days and frustrating days. I love my Classic for all of email, SMS, and business needs but hate when I'm about to workout and the Spotify or Pandora app isn't functioning properly. Also the hit or miss with Face 10, Igramm, and messenger is annoying. And don't even start with Uber or Waze. I'm loyal to BlackBerry but hate being taken advantage of with under performing apps. I'm waiting on a android-classic but hoping for OS10 updates.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 07:04 PM
    Yep it's all about the app gap.

As posted previously if you depend on a number of specific apps then avoid BB10.

However if that's not the case then definitely get yourself a BlackBerry Passport SE. Had mine for 6mths now. An awesome device which I wouldn't be without. Outstanding productivity and a keyboard to die for.

Forget the doom sayers rattling on about BlackBerry pulling the pin on support for BB10. I'll eat my hat if they don't keep support going for at least another 18mths.

I'd also forget all the advice re waiting for the fire sale.....That's just more months without the best OS on the market in your hands :-)

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 03:52 AM
    Buy only with huge discount. Brand loyalty is one thing. But a company like RIM to continue to sell bb 10 devices without issuing a disclaimer stating that support will become non existant after 2016 is unethical. For example if u can pick up a passport or classic for $299 new not used. I would go ahead. But to pay full price is foolish. BTW I predict by years end the prices will be in that range when BlackBerry cleans inventory. So wait

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean support will be non-existent after 2016? Are you just making that up, or can you point to an actual statement by ANYONE?

Support for some apps will end after 2016 but nowhere does Blackberry claim otherwise. The phones will be fully supported for the foreseeable future. It's just that they are far less "future-proof" than Android or iOS phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 02:04 PM
    The phones will be fully supported for the foreseeable future. It's just that they are far less "future-proof" than Android or iOS phones.
    I think most would agree that they aren't "fully supported" now, and haven't been for some time. But until you define exactly what "full support" means to you, this is just semantics.

What is without question is that the overall level of support for BB10 has been dropping, even by BB themselves, and will continue to drop. BB10 may not change, but the world it needs to connect to in order to function properly is constantly evolving, and as it does, more and more will continue to "break" on BB10.

This is why OSs that aren't being actively developed are considered "dead." They may boot up (I can still boot DOS), but they aren't good for much anymore. Ask a former WebOS user how it goes...
    07-16-16 03:11 PM
    I think most would agree that they aren't "fully supported" now, and haven't been for some time. But until you define exactly what "full support" means to you, this is just semantics.

What is without question is that the overall level of support for BB10 has been dropping, even by BB themselves, and will continue to drop. BB10 may not change, but the world it needs to connect to in order to function properly is constantly evolving, and as it does, more and more will continue to "break" on BB10.

This is why OSs that aren't being actively developed are considered "dead." They may boot up (I can still boot DOS), but they aren't good for much anymore. Ask a former WebOS user how it goes...
    By support, I mean warranty support, customer technical support, and patch support to maintain the current functionality of BB10 and bundled BB10 apps, as well as the current (final) version of the Android runtime.

To my mind, a purchaser or a new BB10 Passport today can expect to receive the same level of support as someone who bought one on launch day in 2014.

Support for me does NOT include new development or any guarantee that 3rd party apps will continue to work or be supported. If a robust app ecosystem is a significant requirement BB10 is not a rational purchase (nor has it ever been!)

The important questions for a new BB10 buyer to consider, in my opinion, ought are as follows:
    Do I care about Android apps?
    Do I require Facebook/Whatsapp integration with the Hub?
    Would the loss of Twitter/LinkedIn Hub integration bother me?
    Do I anticipate keeping this phone more than two years?

A "yes" answer to any of the above would be a strong indicator that a BB10 phone might be a poor fit.

But if work flow /productivity for email/calendar/tasks/contacts synchronization with an enterprise server is still the most important consideration in one's smartphone evaluation, BlackBerry is very hard to top. Plus it comes with a great set of additional features:
    Decent cameras
    Fantastic DAC for Audio
    USB OtG (z30 and Passport)
    FM Radio (z30 and Passport)
    SD Card slot
    PKB (Passport and Classic)
    Etc.

If you're someone like me who uses a smartphone 4-10 hours a day, but who hasn't needed an iOS or Android App in months, a BB10 phone is still a very compelling option.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    07-16-16 04:20 PM
    There are lots of cheap carrier unlocked blackberry phones floating around including the Priv for $299 but they probably aren't supported.

You can get a Nexus device for that money that gets the latest android os.

Unless there is a very specific feature (hardware keyboard) of BlackBerry that you really need there's no compelling reason to get a BlackBerry branded device.

Even buying an official BlackBerry device paying full price, BlackBerry support is terrible if you encounter any problems with your device.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 10:42 PM
    I have a Priv because I need some android apps that just won't work on my Passport. Work apps. But I still use the Passport. It is a great phone and if it wasn't for the couple of apps I'd still happily use it as my main phone.

Who cares that BB10 won't be getting more updates.... Seriously, my 9900 still runs fine and it hasn't been updated in a few years. When I had it I didn't care about Android apps. What needs to be updated on BB10? Nothing. It will never have a fingerprint scanner or a better camera or an iris scanner. You can't use it to pay at Walgreens. I don't care about that crap anyway and 90 % of consumers don't, either. Anyone who just talks, texts, emails, and occasionally checks out Facebook or YouTube (most of the adult population of the planet) would be happy with a BB10 phone. They just don't know it.

That is 50 % BlackBerry's fault for not marketing well, 50 % reviewers' fault for not spending time with the phones because they are lazy slugs and just look at specs, build quality, take some pictures, and run a benchmark (here is an excellent example of a lazy review: http://gizmodo.com/blackberry-priv-r...r-m-1740822511) and 50 % the fault of BlackBerry users who, because they are generally educated or contrarian, ***** incessantly about BlackBerry in general. That's 150 % wrong.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-16-16 11:20 PM
    By support, I mean warranty support, customer technical support, and patch support to maintain the current functionality of BB10 and bundled BB10 apps, as well as the current (final) version of the Android runtime.

To my mind, a purchaser or a new BB10 Passport today can expect to receive the same level of support as someone who bought one on launch day in 2014.
    This is already "broken" and likely to get worse.

The BB10 FB app, for example, is broken and has been replaced by a web shortcut - and BB10 FB was written by BB. There are also many issues with the outdated BB10 web browser - which gets more outdated every day.

You'll also find that in many areas around the world, BB support in general, including warranty support, has largely evaporated. Apparently, in all of Europe, the only warranty center is now in Italy.

It isn't just 3rd-party apps. BB's shrinking infrastructure has definitely reduced its "support" for the platform, and it will continue to shrink.
    07-17-16 11:08 AM
    This is already "broken" and likely to get worse.

The BB10 FB app, for example, is broken and has been replaced by a web shortcut - and BB10 FB was written by BB. There are also many issues with the outdated BB10 web browser - which gets more outdated every day.

You'll also find that in many areas around the world, BB support in general, including warranty support, has largely evaporated. Apparently, in all of Europe, the only warranty center is now in Italy.

It isn't just 3rd-party apps. BB's shrinking infrastructure has definitely reduced its "support" for the platform, and it will continue to shrink.
    Still using the old Facebook app with the full hub integration. It is false that the app is broken. Just don't update to the latest Facebook app because it is not an update at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 04:46 PM
    Still using the old Facebook app with the full hub integration. It is false that the app is broken. Just don't update to the latest Facebook app because it is not an update at all.

Posted via CB10
    The android version on my PRIV is up to date with no problems.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-17-16 06:26 PM
    The android version on my PRIV is up to date with no problems.

And the Android version can be installed on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 12:36 AM
    And the Android version can be installed on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't function as well as the Droidberry on the PRIV. I've owned every BB10 device except Z3 and Q5 and BB10 plateaued in functionality/usability about 12-15 months ago. BB10 requires more effort with sideloading and other BS. The awesome efficiency and fluidity of the OS is negated by the inefficiencies of an inefficient ecosystem.

07-18-16 08:53 AM
68 123