We all know two more updates of the BB10 OS have been promised. Can anyone explain the effect of shutting down the built for blackberry app shutdown.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/01/bui...rry-shut-down/

Does this mean there will be no new blackberry 10 apps development? Will they upgrade the android runtime to the latest version in the BB10 OS.
    This makes me sick. I so badly want a Passport Silver Edition but it seems too risky to invest in it at this point. Any suggestions please.
    Last edited by bbry89; 01-28-16 at 03:27 AM.
    01-28-16 01:21 AM
    Whether it makes sense or not depends on you. If you need Apps to keep your life going, it doesn't. If you don't, like me, it does.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 01:36 AM
    I own the passport SE since a few months now and am happy with it as is perfectly suits my needs. To your questions, BlackBerry is cutting costs, the removal of the program is just another way to do so.
    BlackBerry apps will be further developed by the few who do so already I think, there won't be any discrimination between android ports and BlackBerry apps, which may make it more problematic to find high quality apps.
    In the 10.3 and 10.4 updates it is likely that the runtime will remain, which eventually will result in android apps not working properly... that is indeed an issue. Depends on how many apps you are using (and really using) and the devs of such apps...
    Risky investment? Maybe. I am happy with the SE, as it perfectly suits my needs and I bought it because I realised I do need maybe 10-15 apps on a daily basis and by now 60% or more are in the BlackBerry world.
    Up to you

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 01:41 AM
    If the current set of features for BB10 and the current set of apps meet your needs, then yes you should buy a BB10. Just don't expect any new features or apps coming your way.
    01-28-16 02:12 AM
    Like previous posts. Depends on what apps you need. Most android apps will run fine except those that require google services. If you do want to get a bb10 phone, get a passport at least. The android app performance is significantly faster than the rest of bb10 phones due to hardware superiority (I own z30 and passport)

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 02:16 AM
    Buy only with huge discount. Brand loyalty is one thing. But a company like RIM to continue to sell bb 10 devices without issuing a disclaimer stating that support will become non existant after 2016 is unethical. For example if u can pick up a passport or classic for $299 new not used. I would go ahead. But to pay full price is foolish. BTW I predict by years end the prices will be in that range when BlackBerry cleans inventory. So wait

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 02:20 AM
    Btw. Neglected to mention. Ramifications for bb10 not being supported any longer means that existing apps like BlackBerry travel BlackBerry maps the browser etc other internal apps and third party apps also won't be updated,and become buggy and sluggish. Soon any bb10 phone will become less than useless except to make phone calls. One more time. Beware

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    01-28-16 02:28 AM
    Yes, it depends on your app needs and the price. If something is critical, skip BlackBerry. I used all 4 OSs, and BB OS 10 is very good, if not the best. Btw many companies are still using OS 7 phones.

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix and Avenzuno like this.
    01-28-16 02:53 AM
    absolut most definitely, PP or Classic is the way to go, very solid devices and mature OS.
    got two Classics running for a year now and getting a Passport next week and a 3rd Classic in April, that will keep me going for at least the next two years without any compromise at all.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    01-28-16 03:16 AM
    It makes sense to buy what you want to buy. It's that simple.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kputock; 01-28-16 at 08:54 AM.
    01-28-16 08:19 AM
    Wait for the discounts and Fire sales. Still using a z10 two years old. Will move to.windows phone when it dies

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 08:25 AM
    Something new is on the way. Old one has to be shut down.

Built for BlackBerry 11.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9760657) likes this.
    01-28-16 08:55 AM
    Something new is on the way. Old one has to be shut down.

Built for BlackBerry 11.

Posted via CB10
    Good luck with that
    01-28-16 03:16 PM
    Wait for the discounts and Fire sales. Still using a z10 two years old. Will move to.windows phone when it dies

Posted via CB10
    Good luck with windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 03:35 PM
    I own the passport SE since a few months now and am happy with it as is perfectly suits my needs. To your questions, BlackBerry is cutting costs, the removal of the program is just another way to do so.
    BlackBerry apps will be further developed by the few who do so already I think, there won't be any discrimination between android ports and BlackBerry apps, which may make it more problematic to find high quality apps.
    In the 10.3 and 10.4 updates it is likely that the runtime will remain, which eventually will result in android apps not working properly... that is indeed an issue. Depends on how many apps you are using (and really using) and the devs of such apps...
    Risky investment? Maybe. I am happy with the SE, as it perfectly suits my needs and I bought it because I realised I do need maybe 10-15 apps on a daily basis and by now 60% or more are in the BlackBerry world.
    Up to you

Posted via CB10
    Not to pick on Narhim, but this post says all you really need to know about why Built for BlackBerry was cancelled. It had nothing to do with differentiating native from Android ports. It was supposed to elevate some native applications above all others. It never really achieved this for the consumer and was a burden on developers and BlackBerry to manage.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-28-16 03:50 PM
    Just upgraded to a passport from a z30. Passport is so much faster than a z30 expecially with android apps. Did not really want the physical keyboard but am loving it. The touch capacity is awesome. With at least two more os updates I'm not worried. With the amazon app store one would think they would have to update the runtime at some point?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 03:57 PM
    Sorry. Sadly, guys in the know are saying BlackBerry has no motivation to upgrade Cascades to Qt5, which would allow better Android compatibility like 6.0 Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    01-28-16 04:33 PM
    Sorry. Sadly, guys in the know are saying BlackBerry has no motivation to upgrade Cascades to Qt5, which would allow better Android compatibility like 6.0 Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    Seriously what does QT5 have to do with Marshmallow compatibility?
    01-28-16 07:09 PM
    Yes, if you aren't dependent on Android apps, want to use it this year and probably next year, too.

No, if you want to be on a platform with mainstream app compatibility or you want to keep your phone for 3-5 years.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 09:12 PM
    Buy only with huge discount. Brand loyalty is one thing. But a company like RIM to continue to sell bb 10 devices without issuing a disclaimer stating that support will become non existant after 2016 is unethical. For example if u can pick up a passport or classic for $299 new not used. I would go ahead. But to pay full price is foolish. BTW I predict by years end the prices will be in that range when BlackBerry cleans inventory. So wait

Posted via CB10
    You are concluding that support will be shut down after 2016. That's HIGHLY unlikely. Blackberry has never shutdown support so soon after selling new devices, and there's no reason to think they'll do that.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-29-16 09:15 PM
    all dependent on how someone is likely to be manipulated by resent anti BlackBerry ****-chat here on CB and all this stupid BB-is-dead talk.
    Make your own mind up instead of following the mainstream, and yeas it all dependent on what OS someone prefers.

there is BlackBerry OS10, Apple iOS, Google Android, M$ Win, to pickup on, but seriously... the BlackBerry OS10 is the most advanced and superior over all the rest of the lot, choice is yours.

01-30-16 03:16 AM
    the BlackBerry OS10 is the most advanced and superior over all the rest of the lot, choice is yours.

BBos is the best but it is slowly dying. Some say that 10.3.3 will be the last update....

Also all companies like facebook drop the support.... What a pity....
    Last edited by cmvrgr cmvrgr; 07-10-16 at 09:34 PM.
    07-10-16 12:28 PM
    It is actually depends on what you need from your smartphone.
    If you just need to SMS, call...and BBM(only if).....then BlackBerry 10 devices can be considered. Just an example.........................................

 BlackBerry Z10
    07-10-16 12:42 PM
    BBos is the best but it is slowly dying. Some say that 10.3.3 will be the last update....

Also all companies like facebook drop the support.... What a pity....
    Facebook never supported BB10, the BB10 Facebook app was made by BlackBerry !
    But as long as there are third parties app who cares ? Face10 works just fine.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 12:59 AM
    It's not actually depens on what you need, your need might change by the time. Like you said, buying bb10 now is too risky, blackberry might support the update but devs aren't. It's not about what you need now but your future needs. If you need bbm, if you need a, b, c, d then choose bb10, that's just unpromisable statements. Just go for priv, its the way safer.
    Last edited by chain13; 07-11-16 at 03:29 AM.
    07-11-16 01:57 AM
68 123