Hi,

I did a search on my topic and found that it's possible to use GV by using the mobile version of Google voice site (google.com/voice/m). But what I wasn't able to find from my search was does making calls thru that mobile site rely on mobile minutes?

I'm looking to purchase a Z10 and use it on Tmobile's $30 prepaid plan with only 100 min. I find myself using about 200 min a month occasionally. I've tried google.com/voice/m on both Windows phone 7.8 and Android ICS, neither of them could display the dial pad. So it seems only Z10 has the ability to display the dial pad correctly. I've tried various GV apps on Android but people kept telling me I sounded echoy and couldn't hear me good. And the ones for Windows phone rely on mobile minutes.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether dialing a number from that site on a Z10 uses mobile minutes, and how is the in call quality.

Thanks in advance.
    08-01-13 05:20 PM
    I think another member mention that it worked and didnt use minutes. I cant remember where i saw the thread though. You can make a quick test call for 1 minute maybe
    08-01-13 05:33 PM
    It most certainly uses minutes...even if phone is connected to wifi. I love gv, blacada works great on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 05:46 PM
    It most certainly uses minutes...even if phone is connected to wifi. I love gv, blacada works great on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Why would it use minutes? It would either use data or wifi? It would be like using Google Voice on your computer web browser.. When you call someone it would show the incoming call as from somewhere in California. It doesn't actually use your phone number.
    08-01-13 08:31 PM
    Why would it use minutes? It would either use data or wifi? It would be like using Google Voice on your computer web browser.. When you call someone it would show the incoming call as from somewhere in California. It doesn't actually use your phone number.
    Google voice does not run voip over cellular. What it does is essentially is connects your cellular number to your Google voice number and then on to the recipient.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 08:53 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

I was under the impression that I could make outgoing calls from the Google voice mobile site version on Z10 the same way I use from within the Gmail, without using minutes.

I don't have a Z10 to test this out yet, and I'm actually hesitating to purchase it since now that I know Google voice uses mins. I guess the only way to use my Google voice number for outgoing calls without mobile minutes is to do the set up on simonics and get a SIP app?
    08-01-13 09:29 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

I was under the impression that I could make outgoing calls from the Google voice mobile site version on Z10 the same way I use from within the Gmail, without using minutes.

I don't have a Z10 to test this out yet, and I'm actually hesitating to purchase it since now that I know Google voice uses mins. I guess the only way to use my Google voice number for outgoing calls without mobile minutes is to do the set up on simonics and get a SIP app?
    I don't know a whole lot about voip but I believe that you would be able to use an app like this: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/23748873
    Or this: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/130295
    You would need to find the proper settings. The problem with direct browser interface is that when you use a desktop you install a plugin. There is no Google Talk plugin for BlackBerry webkit.

Edit: Damn this actually looks pretty cool. I guess with the SIP client you can run the Google voice number directly to the client, might have to check it out. Thanks for bringing it up.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:00 PM
    The folks saying that GV uses minutes are most likely correct. It did on legacy BBOS, and it uses minutes on Android OS.

As already noted, GV is not VOIP. It uses data to connect, IIRC, and then connects to regular minutes. If you have a plan with Favs or Friends, you might be able to get around it, but I am not entirely sure how that would work on BB10.
    08-01-13 10:03 PM
    Just out of curiousity, I'm having a few issues with blacada on my z10 with google voice. It seems to load my unread messages instead of trying to dial the number i punched in. Any chance someone could list how they have their setup screen done. Thanks!
    08-05-13 08:18 PM