I have a very specific situation that requires a very lightweight (as in physical weight, not performance) device for Google Maps purposes. I'm actually thinking of grabbing a Z10 for this. Is it still feasible to use Google Maps on Z10? Perhaps via sideloading Android or something?
    02-19-20 10:31 PM
    I have a very specific situation that requires a very lightweight (as in physical weight, not performance) device for Google Maps purposes. I'm actually thinking of grabbing a Z10 for this. Is it still feasible to use Google Maps on Z10? Perhaps via sideloading Android or something?
    It's feasible but imo will not be a great experience. The Z10 is just too slow imo. You can use an older version of the apk which does not allow you to sign in. The experience just is not optimal so I would not recommend it.
    It's feasible but imo will not be a great experience. The Z10 is just too slow imo. You can use an older version of the apk which does not allow you to sign in. The experience just is not optimal so I would not recommend it.
    ppeters914 and John Albert like this.
    02-19-20 10:38 PM
    It's not something I would recommend. I'd buy an old Android phone instead. The best experience I current have with Google maps on my Z10 is using it in the stock browser, which works quite well, surprisingly, including turn by turn steps, but no audio directions.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    02-20-20 07:04 AM
    Agreed 100%. Would recommend an apk in the 6.x range if you want to try it out but even then the experience is not optimal and it'll drain the battery quickly.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-20 07:58 AM
    02-20-20 08:11 AM
    Browser version of Google Maps seems fine on a bb10 device. Not as snappy as a new $1200 phone, but decent or tolerable IMHO. Depends on what your needs and expectations are, and just how fast you gotta have it...the results. (also BlackBerry's own MAPS app preinstalled seems fine for most things as well - again depends on needs)
    02-20-20 10:32 AM
    Google Maps would probably drain the Z10 battery in no time.
    02-20-20 10:52 AM
    As an Android app yes. In the browser, it's really just a matter of the screen on time as the Internet data stream is minor.

02-20-20 12:26 PM
    As an Android app yes. In the browser, it's really just a matter of the screen on time as the Internet data stream is minor.

The times I used the Google Maps app on my Z10 (6.14 is the best that I've found - although it might crash if you go into the app's settings), it was plugged in.

Also, the app will keep the screen on indefinitely - since it assumes you'll need the screen on while being used. Using the browser, the screen timeout will still kick in at some point.
    02-20-20 01:11 PM
    Chiming in again to say I am enjoying MapQuest. It's a great BB10 / Passport alternative
    02-20-20 01:24 PM
    The times I used the Google Maps app on my Z10 (6.14 is the best that I've found - although it might crash if you go into the app's settings), it was plugged in.

Also, the app will keep the screen on indefinitely - since it assumes you'll need the screen on while being used. Using the browser, the screen timeout will still kick in at some point.
    Display timeout is user settable up to something like 5minutes or less (obviously to reduce power consumption.). Of course lock-screen is more problematic if you have a password setup (but if not then no problem, a swipe up will wake up the screen), can be left unlocked up to an hour.
    02-21-20 09:16 PM
    I don't even use Google Maps on my Android devices.
    Magic Earth does the trick for me across almost all platforms (except Windows Mobile) .
    For the truly cross-platform option, I went with Sygic.
    Both have offline maps which is great.

Does it have to be Google?
    02-21-20 09:32 PM
    Just get a cheap prepaid Android phone for $20-$30 and download Google Maps and offline navigation on it.

Way better than your requested ordeal.
    02-21-20 09:42 PM
    Display timeout is user settable up to something like 5minutes or less (obviously to reduce power consumption.). Of course lock-screen is more problematic if you have a password setup (but if not then no problem, a swipe up will wake up the screen), can be left unlocked up to an hour.
    If using a navigation app while driving, you don't want to be fumbling with the phone to turn the screen back on just as you are about to reach a turn. That's why the app overrides the timeout to leave the screen on.

I'm not sure, but I think the screen times out on the BlackBerry Maps app. Someone will have to correct me on that.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-21-20 10:27 PM
    I'm not sure, but I think the screen times out on the BlackBerry Maps app. Someone will have to correct me on that.
    Ok - that will be me The native BB Maps does not time out. Even if not plugged in.
    02-21-20 10:37 PM
    Ok - that will be me The native BB Maps does not time out. Even if not plugged in.
    Cool. Thanks for the correction. It had been a long time and had forgotten for sure.
    02-21-20 11:49 PM
    I don't even use Google Maps on my Android devices.
    Magic Earth does the trick for me across almost all platforms (except Windows Mobile) .
    For the truly cross-platform option, I went with Sygic.
    Both have offline maps which is great.

Does it have to be Google?
    I use various open street maps apps on all platforms, with offline maps. I like that my location info stays on my phone, where it belongs, instead of going to Google. I want to know where I am on the map, but there's no reason my mapping company needs to know.

02-22-20 06:32 PM
    Where does native Maps get its source maps? Running latest 3.3 but it is still not showing road systems completed 2 years ago (probably more actually) and it still announces traffic warnings where no hazard or similar circumstance occurs.
    Can I force an update?
    It only works for driving. Not walking, yes?
    (Pity, cos I greatly prefer the layout and presentation to that of Google Maps, but BB Maps is increasingly useless.)
    02-22-20 10:26 PM
    Where does native Maps get its source maps? Running latest 3.3 but it is still not showing road systems completed 2 years ago (probably more actually) and it still announces traffic warnings where no hazard or similar circumstance occurs.
    Can I force an update?
    (Pity, cos I greatly prefer the layout and presentation to that of Google Maps, but BB Maps is increasingly useless.)
    I believe it gets its data from Tom Tom and as to how up to date it is, I can't answer that question, I would assume fairly up to date as it doesn't have any offline data.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you how up to date the data is, I guess it depends on the contract BlackBerry had with Tom Tom.

Posted via CB10 using my P'9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    02-23-20 06:21 AM
    Can I force an update?
    Not showing road from only two years ago is not unusual to even Google maps. I remember I updated someone's Garmin GPS and their school was new by three years I'm guessing. The person complained that the road to their school and the school was not showing. I checked my source and then Google maps, MapQuest and Google Earth. The only thing I could find was a dirt construction road and the beginnings of the construction of the school. This was 10 years ago this happened yet I don't think they can still be sure to have everything up to date all the time.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    02-23-20 06:35 AM
    Not showing road from only two years ago is not unusual to even Google maps. I remember I updated someone's Garmin GPS and their school was new by three years I'm guessing. The person complained that the road to their school and the school was not showing. I checked my source and then Google maps, MapQuest and Google Earth. The only thing I could find was a dirt construction road and the beginnings of the construction of the school. This was 10 years ago this happened yet I don't think they can still be sure to have everything up to date all the time.

Sure maybe not sat photos yet but it would atleast have the road and can use it for directions. Think that is the main problem
    02-23-20 07:02 AM
    Sure maybe not sat photos yet but it would atleast have the road and can use it for directions. Think that is the main problem
    Read what I said, I had checked Google maps and MapQuest and the road was still not there on either on the web

02-23-20 07:04 AM
    Read what I said, I had checked Google maps and MapQuest and the road was still not there on either on the web

i did but then you talked about the sat photos not being complete. I am shocked if the actual road was not there. Google updated some maps around here and put the roundabouts and roads in before they were even halfway finished with them.
    02-23-20 07:11 AM
    i did but then you talked about the sat photos not being complete. I am shocked if the actual road was not there. Google updated some maps around here and put the roundabouts and roads in before they were even halfway finished with them.
    I did mention all three sources but not every city and location are equal. I am sure today the speed at which data is collected is much better but might still be delayed for some depending where you are.

02-23-20 07:19 AM
    Can I force an update?
    BlackBerry severed their relationship with Tom Tom years ago. You can't update it.
    02-23-20 08:45 AM
28 12