I had heard that BlackBerry 10 had a long learning curve and that it is frustrating in the beginning, almost too frustrating.

Then I read in a lot of reviews and comments from others that it did not. Just learn a few main gestures and your golden.

Well, after 2 months with my ZED 3 and BlackBerry 10 I can tell you that it's both, YES & NO.

As an ex WebOS user I was very excited to see another truly gesture-based OS come out after WebOS's demise. I bought a Z3 and I was rockin' and for the most part it's been great. Although the swipe up to get rid of an app is no where near the satisfaction of the WebOS flick off the screen to close an app (the swoosh was killer) gesture, the BlackBerry UI is modern and efficient.

After 2 months of heavy use here's what I've concluded:

It's easy to get up and running. Learn just a few, maybe 4 gestures to navigate. This is why people say it's not hard to master and the learning curve is nil. I was ripping around the OS like a veteran in just a couple days. The OS was fun. NO big learning curve.

But then something happened...I'd want to do something simple in an app, or tweak a feature, change a comment in a post and I couldn't do it. I'd search around where I thought it should be, but it wasn't there. Surely you can edit a comment? I'd get frustrated. Curse the BlackBerry OS and wish for my WP again.

Then days would go by. I'd stumble upon a feature. Cool. Find another easy, cool way to do something..Awesome. I'd long press on the screen and poof! A whole nother screen would pop up with many more options. Wow. I began to see the beauty and logic of screens and features I didn't know existed until I stumbled upon them. So, YES, there's a fairly long learning curve to become proficient at all of the neat tricks you can do in BlackBerry 10. You just have to give yourself time with the platform.

To be honest, I can't tell yet if it's all been worth it. Yeah, I love BlackBerry 10 and my Z3. I'm just not sure if the journey here has all been worth it. At some level shouldn't it be a bit easier to do things? Then again, the power and richness of the OS is awesome. I'm still deciding. I think in the end I'm sold.

So, if a friend asks you if they should get a BlackBerry or what's the OS like, my humble suggestion is to level with them and say it'll be frustrating but stick with it and it will pay off. They will thank you for it.

My two cents..

Cheers!

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 10-11-14 at 11:12 AM.
    Keith Atkinson and Optimus4 like this.
    10-11-14 10:42 AM
    Thanks for your honest opinion. I have been suing BB OSes since 2008 and I have to say that nothing has been difficult at all to get used to for me.

If you love something enough to learn it and make it work for you, how can you call it frustrating?
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 12:38 PM
    Thanks for your honest opinion. I have been suing BB OSes since 2008 and I have to say that nothing has been difficult at all to get used to for me.

If you love something enough to learn it and make it work for you, how can you call it frustrating?
    Stop suing them! That's why they're in debt!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 12:42 PM
    Is it that hard to find the "Settings" section of an app? Just swipe from the top or search for the "Settings" label in the overflow menu.
    10-11-14 12:52 PM
    Is it that hard to find the "Settings" section of an app? Just swipe from the top or search for the "Settings" label in the overflow menu.
    There's much more to the OS than just Settings.

10-11-14 12:54 PM
    Interesting and nicely argued.

I was trying to think back to when I got my Z30, and I honestly don't recall it being much of a learning curve. But the thing here is that I wasn't coming from an iPhone, Android or Windows Phone. So it begs a question, is it really any kind of learning curve or is it simply that it's a bit different to the others?

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 01:06 PM
    I know one guy that has owned a Q10 for about 6 months and he still has alot of trouble with the touch screen. He has short stubby fingers but he just doesn't get it. Its definitely not for the rare few.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.1.396
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 01:10 PM
    Only got me 3 days and now I don't know what more to explore

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 01:12 PM
    There's much more to the OS than just Settings.

Could you give some examples of hard to find, but important features of BB 10 OS? Because I find it quite easy to learn.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 01:19 PM
    Three simple gestures.....

Anyone who thinks that's complicated should go buy an old flip phone

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:28 PM
    Could you give some examples of hard to find, but important features of BB 10 OS? Because I find it quite easy to learn.
    Well, I'd had mine a couple of months before I found out about one and two finger swiping across the keyboard to delete text. I do still find out things that doubtless others already knew about.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 01:33 PM
    I had an iPhone and I got rid of that and got my Z10. Well I only had the phone for an hour or so and I was going to return it as I hated everything about. But it was late in the weekend and the phone store was closed so I had to wait until Monday to take it back. So I had almost 2 days before I could return it and in those 2 days it was gradually starting to grow on me to the point that come Monday there was no way I was going to part with it. Almost 2 years later still have the Z10 and not looking back! Just looking forward to 10.3.1.!!!

Posted via CB10
    haringfish and jefbeard911 like this.
    10-11-14 05:30 PM
    Well, I'd had mine a couple of months before I found out about one and two finger swiping across the keyboard to delete text. I do still find out things that doubtless others already knew about.
    There is also the 5 times swipe from the top-right corner in the HUB to reset it or even the swipe to the right, then up or down to go to the next message.
    But, I must say the Help app is... well, helpful to find all these tips
    jefbeard911 and ezikiah like this.
    10-11-14 06:23 PM
    I know one guy that has owned a Q10 for about 6 months and he still has alot of trouble with the touch screen. He has short stubby fingers but he just doesn't get it. Its definitely not for the rare few.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.1.396
    6 months? Lmao it only took like a couple hours for me. Maybe a full day to master it

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:42 PM
    8 months of this OS and I think I'll return it tomorrow. Oh wait
    10-11-14 08:11 PM
    Only got me 3 days and now I don't know what more to explore

Posted via CB10
    I think you'll be finding new features as you go along for the next few weeks..i did.

Fun.

10-11-14 11:17 PM
    Interesting and nicely argued.

I was trying to think back to when I got my Z30, and I honestly don't recall it being much of a learning curve. But the thing here is that I wasn't coming from an iPhone, Android or Windows Phone. So it begs a question, is it really any kind of learning curve or is it simply that it's a bit different to the others?

Posted via CB10
    That's a good question. I'm not sure either. I came from WP and Android so I think it's natural to look for things to be done the way they were in your previous OS.

I do miss Live Tiles, Widgets, and a Swipe KB..lol

10-11-14 11:19 PM
    Sure. I will over the next few days. Once you've learned them they didn't seem difficult anymore. But I'll think about it and get back to you.

Cheers!

10-11-14 11:21 PM
    Three simple gestures.....

Anyone who thinks that's complicated should go buy an old flip phone

Posted via CB10
    ...and Baseball is just about hitting a ball.

10-11-14 11:23 PM
    I think I know why the OP is having the issues ... has to do with familiarity of WebOS,,,,, As they are similar... it is always that when something is different from WebOS the user has it in their head and comparing the two.,. instead of simply using the BB10 OS on its own merit and learning it... the OP compares..... anyone who has used a Playbook and then switch to an IPad will know what I am talking about... Every time I use ye old Ipad I find myself swiping up to close an App instead of the home button... the more frustrated I get the more I forget to use the home button as my Playbook is my tablet of choice.... If one takes the time to either learn or ask question on boards like this... there really is not much of a learning curve if you approach it as something new.. not similar to something you already know.....
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 11:34 PM
    1.Pinch the Hub to show just Unread notifications..

More to come

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    10-24-14 09:59 AM
    Agree with OP...Yes and no. easy to master the basics and the rest as they come up. I'm not real good about reading the instructions until I need them so after a year and a half I'm still learning. It took me almost a year to master the word flip gesture! I knew it was there but just couldn't get the technique down. Yes, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer! Love OS 10 and love the new to me stuff I find.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-24-14 10:32 AM
    I too believe it is easy to get the basic gestures. For me part of the fun is learning the tricks and tips. I think in BlackBerry 10 the help file is better than the legacy OS. I think back to my first BlackBerry (curve 8310) and think how cool it was to meet someone and you would swap favourite shortcuts. It was like a cult.
    I do see how people may not like that and don't want to have to read instructions. This may be why BlackBerry 10 is a niche player at this point. In conclusion I think BlackBerry 10 is very efficient and fun to use. So it is well worth the learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-24-14 07:13 PM
    How is there a learning curve? In the beginning you start up your new phone your put through a tutorial that teaches you all the gestures in real situations. Even if something wasn't covered it's not hard at all to learn. I think people should stop comparing to its, because every time something isn't comparable to iPhone then it's a "learning curve" smh

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 07:56 PM
    2. When taking a photo, Press and Hold the focus box, a lock will show up. You just set the focal length and exposure to lock at that given focal point. No more continuous auto focus.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    Davidro1 likes this.
    10-27-14 07:55 AM
27 12