Hey,
    I've just finished reading the Engadget review for the Z30. Let me quote:
    Given the near ubiquity of Gmail, you'd think that BlackBerry would have built in some options that we now take for granted. For instance, the lack of a simple archive or delete button means that all BB10 devices are useless for working through your emails unless you fancy pulling a double shift on them later. Perhaps it's a minor issue and we're making more of it, but this is a gripe that we think that you should be aware of, particularly if you or your company uses Google Apps for work mail.
    So here are some basic questions:
    1) does Gmail syncs "instantly", like on Android / iOS, or it has the same old "BB OS7 30 minutes sync" (or "never sync")?
    2) can I label my threads by using the "standard" Gmail labels? My entire work email is wrapped around Gmail so "labeling" is an important part of this;
    3) this isn't Gmail related, but is Mail related. Can I set a BB10 device to ignore a certain email address from 22 to 08 (o'clock) but ring for another one? I have a separated email address for emergencies that needs to ring/notify me when receiving new messages, day or night, even when the other addresses are "silenced". Can this be accomplished (even using third party apps) on BB10? Right now I'm using LightFlow (Android) which has the option to set notification lights/tones for each email address (or label), and also has a "silence time" plus "ignore silence time for X item" option. Something like BeeBuzz...?

Other "non-email" related stuff:
    4) is there any way to "sync" Gmail contacts pictures with FB pictures? On Android/iOS we have sync.me (which does a great job). Any BB10 alternatives?
    5) is there any "Tasker" alternative? I would like to switch WiFi off when leaving home/office and other "automated stuff" (like set the device on silent when arriving at a certain restaurant, etc).

Thanks!
    10-13-13 03:58 PM
    I'm brand new to this business of sync'ing but I know that
    there are positive answers to your five questions.
    Web search a bit more
    10-13-13 05:46 PM
    I can answer 1&2
    1. Gmail on BlackBerry 10 uses IMAP not ActiveSync,but you can set the sync interval as quick as 5min.
    2. Gmail on BlackBerry 10 doesn't sync Gmail labels, but it will do folders.
    10-13-13 06:53 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's instant. Gmail supports push. Let me check. As for archiving, just simply use the file button to save it.

If no one else answers I'll try to help you the best I can.
    10-13-13 07:11 PM
    If you access Gmail through the browser, you can use labels and Gmail re-sizes well in the browser, and you can "add to homescreen" where you could have a Gmail app ready to go in the homescreen icons.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:10 PM
    I don't personally use labels, but there are 2 apps in BlackBerry World that allow you access to Gmail and it looks just like the Web version.

In regards to your other question about silencing a particular email account I will look into that and get back to you

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:17 PM
    Hey,
    I've just finished reading the Engadget review for the Z30. Let me quote:

So here are some basic questions:
    1) does Gmail syncs "instantly", like on Android / iOS, or it has the same old "BB OS7 30 minutes sync" (or "never sync")?
    2) can I label my threads by using the "standard" Gmail labels? My entire work email is wrapped around Gmail so "labeling" is an important part of this;
    3) this isn't Gmail related, but is Mail related. Can I set a BB10 device to ignore a certain email address from 22 to 08 (o'clock) but ring for another one? I have a separated email address for emergencies that needs to ring/notify me when receiving new messages, day or night, even when the other addresses are "silenced". Can this be accomplished (even using third party apps) on BB10? Right now I'm using LightFlow (Android) which has the option to set notification lights/tones for each email address (or label), and also has a "silence time" plus "ignore silence time for X item" option. Something like BeeBuzz...?

Other "non-email" related stuff:
    4) is there any way to "sync" Gmail contacts pictures with FB pictures? On Android/iOS we have sync.me (which does a great job). Any BB10 alternatives?
    5) is there any "Tasker" alternative? I would like to switch WiFi off when leaving home/office and other "automated stuff" (like set the device on silent when arriving at a certain restaurant, etc).

Thanks!
    First, I'll assume you're referring to the free Gmail service.
    Yes, Gmail does work well on BB 10. You just need to understand how, and possibly make a few tweaks. It's my main email account, and I'm happy with how it works.
    I'll try to stick to your points, above.

1. Gmail email (IMAP) is delivered almost instantly. In my experience, it is delivered about a second after an Android device, minutes before an iPhone.
    2. What Gmail calls "labels" appear as folders on your BB 10 device. So, if you apply two labels to a message in Gmail (web), that message appears in the two corresponding folders on the device. On device, you don't apply labels. Using the overflow menu (3 vertical dots at bottom right), you can file a message to a folder -- this applies one label within Gmail. So, this is not quite as flexible.
    3. No, this kind of functionality isn't present on device. BeBuzz is available for BB10.

More Gmail stuff:
    • Gmail on BB 10 is best set up using the "advanced" setup. In OS 10.1.0.14xx and later, using advanced setup allows for syncing email "forever". All email will be available on device. *You'll want to be on WiFi when doing this, unless you have a generous data plan.
    • The "sync interval" shown during setup is not how often email is delivered. It's the interval for syncing calendar/contact changes and read/unread messages status (etc.)
    • The "All Mail" label/folder is not available on device.
    • The default set up is such that when you tap delete for a Gmail message on your device, the message is archived to "All Mail" within Gmail. If you want messages moved to trash within Gmail when you tap delete on device, see post #4 in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...8/#post8638154
    • BB 10 conversation mode is slightly different than Gmail conversation mode. It's actually more like message grouping, but it works well and I've adjusted just fine.
    • If you have any incoming filters in Gmail, you'll find that the messages being labelled and archived by Gmail are filed to the folders on device, but remain unread unless your filters also mark them unread.
    • There's some more good Gmail info in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-setup-857291/

Back to your other points:
    4. FB contacts photos don't sync with Gmail contacts. However, you're Gmail contacts can be linked on device with the FB contacts, then the FB photo selected to be shown. The linking is automatic if the names are the same. But Jim Brown won't automatically link with James Brown -- you'd have to link them manually.
    5. Nothing similar to "Tasker", that I'm aware of. I don't believe that the developers have access to the API's to allow them to do so (at least not yet).

I hope some of this helps. I may not have addressed all the Gmail possibilities here. If you have any questions, just post them here and I'll see what I can offer. Cheers.
    10-14-13 11:19 AM
    If you use two-step authentication for your GMail account, check out this blog for useful tips on setting it up on a BB10 device.

BlackBerry Z10, Gmail and 2-Step Authentication | Rob Pomeroy
    10-14-13 11:42 AM
    The OP makes some interesting points re GMail/Google Apps and BB10. I agree that GMail and Google Apps accounts work OK with BB10 for syncing emails, contacts and calendars. However, some of the advanced GMail functions that we had on BBOS 7 are missing. We cannot apply labels to our emails, we don't have remote email search, a must for a business user (however I did read that it might be available for EAS on paid Google Apps accounts however was available for IMAP before), and their is nothing for Google Drive integration for files.
    I want BBRY to succeed in the prosumer and enterprise markets. Many businesses use GMAIL and Google Apps. After Exchange this should be their highest priority for services to fully support.
    10-14-13 04:40 PM
    Not sure how happy the op is on side loading android apps, but I use boomerang for gmail. It has loads of features that I don't need to sync too much on my phone knowing that I can search within boomerang

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    10-14-13 04:47 PM
    I find it convenient to have all my Gmail (personal) and all my business email (EAS) synced completely onto my device. It's all available to search. And, since I use the conversation view it keeps project-related messages all together. Works great for me, far better than BIS email ever did.

Everyone will have their own preferred methods.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    10-14-13 05:08 PM
    Well done, elessar.cm!
    11-13-13 09:28 PM