whats the current status on backing up using link... does that work?

I'm getting nowhere, but not sure if its my computers fault.
    12-05-18 12:25 AM
    I just backed up me BlackBerry z30 recently using my link...
    did you use WiFi to connect your bb10 to pc?
    it may be that they may be network try using a USB
    If you are using USB then we need to find a solution to this

Sorry if I didn't help!

Posted via CB10
    12-05-18 12:39 AM
    What phone are you using? Is Link on a Windows 10 PC, or something else?

Link is a bit finicky on Win 10. The backup has always worked for me, even when network access to the internal memory was lost. I only recently discovered what that problem was and fixed it, but the backup always worked.
    12-05-18 12:42 AM
    What phone are you using? Is Link on a Windows 10 PC, or something else?

Link is a bit finicky on Win 10. The backup has always worked for me, even when network access to the internal memory was lost. I only recently discovered what that problem was and fixed it, but the backup always worked.
    Windows 7.
    Passport with latest OS.
    By USB. Turning wifi off to not confuse it.

Last time it worked for me was may. It freezes out currently. Not sure if thats for everyone.
    12-05-18 01:01 AM
    I just backed up me BlackBerry z30 recently using my link...
    did you use WiFi to connect your bb10 to pc?
    it may be that they may be network try using a USB
    If you are using USB then we need to find a solution to this

Sorry if I didn't help!

Posted via CB10
    windows 7. By usb. About ready to give up.
    12-05-18 01:01 AM
    windows 7. By usb. About ready to give up.
    Try rebooting your PC, this sometimes helps for me.
    12-05-18 05:26 AM

There are 42 million threads here on CB about this. It works fine for me for my spare Z10, Passport and even my PlayBook, all on a Windows 10 machine. As has been said, it's very finicky and imo it's all about the correct/funky driver/usb connection. Get that right and you are good to go. Try different usb ports, use the correct usb (BB) cable. Totally remove all BB Link/Blend/driver and all things BB and RIM from your windows machine ESPECIALLY in the registry. I recommend Revo Uninstaller to do that. Reboot your PC with your BB device plugged in then when your BB10 device asks if you want to install drivers etc answer yes and follow directions from your phone. Good Luck!
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    12-05-18 09:19 AM
    There are 42 million threads here on CB about this. It works fine for me for my spare Z10, Passport and even my PlayBook, all on a Windows 10 machine. As has been said, it's very finicky and imo it's all about the correct/funky driver/usb connection. Get that right and you are good to go. Try different usb ports, use the correct usb (BB) cable. Totally remove all BB Link/Blend/driver and all things BB and RIM from your windows machine ESPECIALLY in the registry. I recommend Revo Uninstaller to do that. Reboot your PC with your BB device plugged in then when your BB10 device asks if you want to install drivers etc answer yes and follow directions from your phone. Good Luck!
    42 million? Really? Everyone knows it is 44.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-18 12:37 PM
    42 million? Really? Everyone knows it is 44.

Posted via CB10
    No. Does Backup with Link still work?-the_hitchhiker_s_guide_to_the_galaxy_wallpaper_by_lucaszanella-d6821pm.jpeg
    Zidentia likes this.
    12-05-18 03:00 PM

Passport with latest OS.
    No offense, but "the latest" isn't useful. Some folks think 10.3.1 is the latest because Check Updates says they're on the latest. Some Passport owners went back to an earlier version of 10.3.3.x to resolve an issue. Heck, you thought you had the latest BBM.

For the record, Blend, Link, etc stopped working for me on two Windows 10 computers. I'm going to try a complete removal using the instructions in that other thread only because moving files off my Z10 is slow and tedious via Bluetooth or OneDrive.
    12-05-18 03:12 PM
    No offense, but "the latest" isn't useful. Some folks think 10.3.1 is the latest because Check Updates says they're on the latest. Some Passport owners went back to an earlier version of 10.3.3.x to resolve an issue. Heck, you thought you had the latest BBM.

For the record, Blend, Link, etc stopped working for me on two Windows 10 computers. I'm going to try a complete removal using the instructions in that other thread only because moving files off my Z10 is slow and tedious via Bluetooth or OneDrive.
    I gave up.
    I succeeded in transferring everything out of my passport and into my key2. I managed to down a working Blend connection in the process of trying to get link to recognize the phone to back it up. I wasted 2+ hours in this, plus then having to get Blend to work again.

I am now fully moved into the Key2. And my beloved passport has become a 'desk' phone to feed Blend to my laptop. I will not poke the beast any longer. It is what it is. I need nothing from it except Blend.
    12-05-18 03:43 PM
    You're lucky. I still haven't moved everything from my Torch 9800 much less my Z10.
    12-05-18 07:09 PM

For whatever it's worth, backup using Link does indeed function, on Windows 7 and Windows 10. If you've upgraded from Win 7 to 10, it usually requires a full uninstall of Link/BB drivers using a utility such as Revo Uninstaller, but if you have a new installation of 10 you should have no problems using Blend, Link, or related Blackberry connection software.

(I'm debating trying to get a sticky together on some of these common errors for a central point of reference....)
    12-05-18 07:30 PM
    Just use Darcy's Tools.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-18 09:02 PM
    For whatever it's worth, backup using Link does indeed function, on Windows 7 and Windows 10. If you've upgraded from Win 7 to 10, it usually requires a full uninstall of Link/BB drivers using a utility such as Revo Uninstaller, but if you have a new installation of 10 you should have no problems using Blend, Link, or related Blackberry connection software.

(I'm debating trying to get a sticky together on some of these common errors for a central point of reference....)
    I did clean Win 10 1803 installs after wiping hard drives on my desktop and laptop computers. After getting the essentials installed (MS Office 2016, Chrome browser, etc), I rebooted and installed Blend, Link, and drivers from freshly download exe.

No joy.

Since it's been a while and various MS updates, will manually rip out BlackBerry stuff, and try again. I hope my low expectations of this working are not realized.

Sticky a good idea.
    12-06-18 10:45 AM
    I did clean Win 10 1803 installs after wiping hard drives on my desktop and laptop computers. After getting the essentials installed (MS Office 2016, Chrome browser, etc), I rebooted and installed Blend, Link, and drivers from freshly download exe.

No joy.

Since it's been a while and various MS updates, will manually rip out BlackBerry stuff, and try again. I hope my low expectations of this working are not realized.

Sticky a good idea.
    Just a few quick questions.

Does Link at least run? Did it get to asking for, and logging into, your BBID?

If so, when connecting the phone, does Link at least see it?
    12-06-18 02:12 PM

No joy.

Sticky a good idea.
    Try an offline installation to another partition, and don't download any other software. Use the BB for the driver installation..just the driver. Then try the update and add Link as well as Blend. I don't think Blend is really worth it anymore though.

http://www.blackberry.com/blenddownloadpc
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 12-06-18 at 03:34 PM.
    12-06-18 03:21 PM

No joy.

Sticky a good idea.
    You may also want to re-enable SMB1. MS disables it by default now but BB needs it to function. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Windows Features, then look for the SMB v1 options.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-18 03:34 PM
    I don't think Blend is really worth it anymore though.
    I do! Use it everyday, lol. Each to his/her own I guess.
    12-06-18 03:38 PM
    I do! Use it everyday, lol. Each to his/her own I guess.
    I would use it, just runs a bit slow for me with other programs.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-18 03:55 PM
    You may also want to re-enable SMB1. MS disables it by default now but BB needs it to function. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Windows Features, then look for the SMB v1 options.

Posted via CB10
    This is what worked for me to get Link to finally see my Z10, and mount the drives as Y and Z on the PC. Link could connect to the phone, and even do a full/partial/whatever backup and restore. But it couldn't show the bar graph of the internal memory, and would say there was a connection error. I thought it strange that it couldn't read the internal or SD card memory, yet it saw and could tell me the OS version, and do the backup/restore. I guess that part uses another method to access the memory that bypasses the drive mounting method.

But that's why I first asked if Link at least ran. And then, does it ask and log onto the BBID?

If it doesn't do that, then the SMB v1 issue probably won't matter.

But, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.
    12-06-18 06:14 PM
    It seem no body use Mac? OSX10.11.6 is worked well with link and blend.
    Windows 7 is same.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-18 03:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    BINGO!!!!! Re-enabled SMB v1 stuff, restarted computer, attached Z10 via USB.... working. Sees two BlackBerry drives.

How the heck did you figure that out???!!!
    12-08-18 08:03 PM
    BINGO!!!!! Re-enabled SMB v1 stuff, restarted computer, attached Z10 via USB.... working. Sees two BlackBerry drives.

Don't feel bad. I had the issue for a year, but only found the thread that lead me to the SMB v1 solution a few weeks ago. And that thread was around for a while.
    12-08-18 11:33 PM

Yes, this is what saved me too. It was one of about 1 million things I tried on Win 10! I still can't back up but at least I can see the two drives. I read the switching off of this feature was done by a Windows update.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jamescarruthers; 12-09-18 at 10:11 AM.
    12-09-18 05:10 AM
32 12