Do you want to see a rewrite of the system in BB 11 which remove certain limitation like unable to customize theme? Or you guys prefer to see just improvement over the next few updates like 10.3.2, 10.4, 10.5?

For me, i'll love to see a new concept of OS
    11-19-14 01:20 AM
    I see no reason for BB11. Keep adding features to BB10 and it will be great. Look how long Apple has kept OS X going.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 03:23 AM
    I so no reason why bb11 wouldn't show up in the future. But my first bet would be 2021, the os by then, will be 9 years old, so a refresh could be needed.
    11-19-14 03:34 AM
    Maybe the BB will change but never the 10. Maybe when quantum computing takes over. Maybe. BB10 long time. My opinion.
    11-19-14 06:39 AM
    I hope they will bring it first on a PlayBook 2 by the end of 2015.
    11-19-14 06:54 AM
    They could have called 10.3.1 version 11. Versions can be arbitrary. The real question is what features do you want. I don't care about customizing themes but it can be an option as long as there is a BES policy to disable it. Each feature that is added takes more development than on iOS and Android because of the BB10 OS / BES ties.

Themes are not a feature, but a problem with Enterprise. Harder to support when someone has changed how the screens look / function on their device.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    11-19-14 07:03 AM
    They could have called 10.3.1 version 11. Versions can be arbitrary. The real question is what features do you want. I don't care about customizing themes but it can be an option as long as there is a BES policy to disable it. Each feature that is added takes more development than on iOS and Android because of the BB10 OS / BES ties.

Themes are not a feature, but a problem with Enterprise. Harder to support when someone has changed how the screens look / function on their device.
    I think your point is exactly OP's point - would you like to see marginal improvements and refinements to BB10 or would you rather see a complete re-write from the bottom up (call it BB11) that would hopefully remove some of the more inherent limitations of the OS? It wasn't the version numbering that OP was referring to. No point in repeating a point, or worse yet, "refuting" a point with the same point.
    11-19-14 07:49 AM
    I think your point is exactly OP's point - would you like to see marginal improvements and refinements to BB10 or would you rather see a complete re-write from the bottom up (call it BB11) that would hopefully remove some of the more inherent limitations of the OS? It wasn't the version numbering that OP was referring to. No point in repeating a point, or worse yet, "refuting" a point with the same point.
    I guess you misses my point. If they want to create BB11 and do a complete re-write and remove the limitations due to requirements by Enterprise, then you are taking away the Enterprise advantage of BB10, so in fact you have BB10 for Enterprise and BB11 for consumer. Any BB10 OS will have limitations due to it's targeted market (Enterprise). BB1x OS and BES 1X needs to be developed at the same time so any "feature" that a consumer may want, can be taken away by the Enterprise customer.

To rewrite an OS from the ground up is very risky. Look how long it took to develop BB10. So I would say no to that also.
    11-19-14 08:08 AM
    This thread makes as much sense as a rewrite of a brand new operating system.

Posted via CB10
    iamagod likes this.
    11-19-14 10:53 AM
    Yes. After BB10.9 we should already see a BB11 OS in the pipeline. So excited. I don't know if I can wait much longer for that much anticipated coffee making ability.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 11:29 AM
    No BB10 is a brand not a version number.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 04:11 PM
    Yes. After BB10.9 we should already see a BB11 OS in the pipeline. So excited. I don't know if I can wait much longer for that much anticipated coffee making ability.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget shoe-shines...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    11-20-14 04:17 AM
    I guess you misses my point. If they want to create BB11 and do a complete re-write and remove the limitations due to requirements by Enterprise, then you are taking away the Enterprise advantage of BB10, so in fact you have BB10 for Enterprise and BB11 for consumer. Any BB10 OS will have limitations due to it's targeted market (Enterprise). BB1x OS and BES 1X needs to be developed at the same time so any "feature" that a consumer may want, can be taken away by the Enterprise customer.

To rewrite an OS from the ground up is very risky. Look how long it took to develop BB10. So I would say no to that also.
    Nope, I didn't miss your point, and I think you misunderstand what you said yourself.
    Yes, I agree, re-writing an OS from ground up is risky and difficult, I don't dispute that. All I am saying is that the OP was not asking whether re-writing the OS was risky or difficult - all he was asking was whether you would like it or not. OP may already realize that re-writing an OS from ground up is difficult and risky, or he may not, but that's wholly beside the point.

Let me quote what you said below:

They could have called 10.3.1 version 11. Versions can be arbitrary.
    In this, the "thesis sentence" of your post, you were talking about what they call the next OS that comes out. Theses sentences would be responsive to the question "what should the next BBOS version numbered?" (which is not the OP's point), not the question "Should BBOS continue being developed as BB10 with marginal improvements and additions or should it be re-written as 'BBOS11?'" (which, I submit, was the OP's point)
    So, in fact, they could have re-written the OS, do away with Enterprise related stuff, and THEN call it BB10.x.x.
    As you said and as I pointed out myself as well, version numbering is arbitrary, and that was not what the OP, properly understood, was really talking about, despite his reference to a BB 11.

The real question is what features do you want.
    And this, as I said in my post above, is the OP's point. This can possibly be achieved by re-writing the existing OS or by making modifications to it - it's just the extent of the modification that's at issue, but even without being a programmer myself, I can be sure that there is nothing that can't be fixed without necessarily building something new from the ground up - cost may be prohibitive, but those business considerations are not what OP seemed to intend to talk about.

I don't care about customizing themes but it can be an option as long as there is a BES policy to disable it. Each feature that is added takes more development than on iOS and Android because of the BB10 OS / BES ties.

Theme was only one example that the OP cited, not the central question. So if supporting theme is difficult due to limitations in Enterprise, than let's move on and talk about some other features that may only or best be feasibly added by re-writing the OS vs. those that can be added without re-writing the current OS.
    Besides, once again, without knowing all the technicalities involved in supporting a theme capability with Enterprise, because I am not a developer or a programmer, I don't see how this would be an impossibility. Of course you didn't say it was impossible either yourself. Hard? Maybe. Not worth it? Maybe. Impossible? I wouldn't buy it.
    But of course that assessment is not the point of this discussion and neither is it my area or expertise, so I will leave it at that and will not defend this point.
    12-02-14 08:47 AM
    Nope, I didn't miss your point, and I think you misunderstand what you said yourself.
    Yes, I agree, re-writing an OS from ground up is risky and difficult, I don't dispute that. All I am saying is that the OP was not asking whether re-writing the OS was risky or difficult - all he was asking was whether you would like it or not. OP may already realize that re-writing an OS from ground up is difficult and risky, or he may not, but that's wholly beside the point.

Let me quote what you said below:

In this, the "thesis sentence" of your post, you were talking about what they call the next OS that comes out. Theses sentences would be responsive to the question "what should the next BBOS version numbered?" (which is not the OP's point), not the question "Should BBOS continue being developed as BB10 with marginal improvements and additions or should it be re-written as 'BBOS11?'" (which, I submit, was the OP's point)
    So, in fact, they could have re-written the OS, do away with Enterprise related stuff, and THEN call it BB10.x.x.
    As you said and as I pointed out myself as well, version numbering is arbitrary, and that was not what the OP, properly understood, was really talking about, despite his reference to a BB 11.

And this, as I said in my post above, is the OP's point. This can possibly be achieved by re-writing the existing OS or by making modifications to it - it's just the extent of the modification that's at issue, but even without being a programmer myself, I can be sure that there is nothing that can't be fixed without necessarily building something new from the ground up - cost may be prohibitive, but those business considerations are not what OP seemed to intend to talk about.

Theme was only one example that the OP cited, not the central question. So if supporting theme is difficult due to limitations in Enterprise, than let's move on and talk about some other features that may only or best be feasibly added by re-writing the OS vs. those that can be added without re-writing the current OS.
    Besides, once again, without knowing all the technicalities involved in supporting a theme capability with Enterprise, because I am not a developer or a programmer, I don't see how this would be an impossibility. Of course you didn't say it was impossible either yourself. Hard? Maybe. Not worth it? Maybe. Impossible? I wouldn't buy it.
    But of course that assessment is not the point of this discussion and neither is it my area or expertise, so I will leave it at that and will not defend this point.
    That was a very deep cross examination!

It's a phone, I'm not "running it" or "rocking it" I just use it. Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3062
    12-02-14 09:24 AM
    I think BlackBerry had another substantial rewrite of the os in them. But I think there will have to be a change to cell phones first, like how adding touchscreens was a big change.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 03:59 PM
    I think they'll going to release another set of brand new phones for BB11 just like BB10 devices

The BlackBerry Z10
    12-02-14 05:47 PM
    A complete rewrite at this point (or anywhere in the near future as in 5 yrs or so) would be suicidal. They went through the growing pains going from os7 bb10. Which was needed but a hard transition due to apps, what people expected etc... I don't think they'll do anything like that for a long time. They're still working out the kinks in 10.

Now, naming a major update to the OS BlackBerry 11? I could see that at some point. But a rewrite? Not likely.

Edit: before I get pounced on for not answering the question properly:
    I think and would prefer incremental updates. 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 etc... the os is still so new they should build on what they have already. I'm sure more features will come along with these updates.
    Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 05:58 PM
    No, please... BB11 is not coming... ever!
    We don't need a 1000 new threads with question WHEN it is coming! OK?
    12-02-14 08:40 PM
    Should there be a waiting room for this.

Joking

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 08:41 PM
    I would like themes and don't think we should have to wait for 11.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 09:35 PM
    They can just use cascades and call the new os BlackBerry OS X1. Continue to do as they are now but take a ios approach. New can of paint and add a lot of features that the other os's have just the BlackBerry way. All this can be developed in secret, like how apple developed ios. Some surprise would be nice every once in awhile.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    12-03-14 10:51 AM
    I'm waiting for someone to ask if BB12 is in the pipeline, since BES12 is now live. But nope, this isn't it.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    12-03-14 02:34 PM
    Just curious if anyone knows if BB12 is close to release.

Jk

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 06:08 PM
    Do you want to see a rewrite of the system in BB 11 which remove certain limitation like unable to customize theme? Or you guys prefer to see just improvement over the next few updates like 10.3.2, 10.4, 10.5?

For me, i'll love to see a new concept of OS
    Would be nice to see an official 10.3 first lol

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    12-04-14 01:06 AM
    Before making it happen they should put all their focus on decreasing / fixing the bugs and minimizing the software install space so they could have more room for more features by the time they should release 10.4
    12-04-14 02:51 AM