Hi all, I'm considering getting a Blackberry Classic or BlackBerry Passport. They are still available as new in the UK however online only. It's been a while since I had a Blackberry but after seeing the new Keyone I feel drawn back.

Can anyone tell me if the below apps are available/work?

Amazon Music
    Amazon - not overly important as I can use the website
    Plex also can you cast to a Chromecast
    Now TV

Many thanks all
    10-02-17 04:38 PM
    I'm not sure about the others but the Amazon app is preloaded on BB10 devices. If they work most of the apps in your list will only be available as Android apps so if those apps are important the Keyone might be a better purchase as it's running Android OS.
    10-02-17 11:13 PM
    I don't think amazon music will work, it needs newer apis.

the regular Amazon app is fine.

Chromecast isn't supported, it needs Google play services and BB10 doesn't support that.

Don't get a classic if those are your needs.

BB10 phones are now only used for texting, calling, listening to music and light browsing. That's pretty much all you can do with them.
    10-03-17 01:24 AM
    Thanks for the replying, I could survive without the Chromecast side of things due to only using at home and I can use my wife's phone for that. can't live without Amazon Music though, quite invested into it at the moment with a family account.
    10-03-17 01:57 AM
    thanks for the replying all, looks like I may need to save for a BB K¹.
    10-03-17 04:59 AM
    No Chromecast but yes Miracast and DisplayPort.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 05:30 AM
    I have amazon music on my z30 and it works fine.
    smiffey likes this.
    10-03-17 06:26 AM
    Z30+Passport SE and all those apps works fine and many many others...i really don't understand why here there are people who doesn't have a BlackBerry 10 device and still speaking about apps that does not works on bb10 without really knowing anything about that....

Posted via CB10
    smiffey likes this.
    10-03-17 06:44 AM
    I have amazon music on my z30 and it works fine.
    I'm assuming it's an older version? The latest seems to require Android 4.4 which isn't supported by BB10.

With the Amazon Music app, you can play or download your music on your Android device (running Android OS version 4.4 or higher) or external SD card.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...UvbUpU13036409

Edit: forum is messing with the link

amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379540

Z30+Passport SE and all those apps works fine and many many others...i really don't understand why here there are people who doesn't have a BlackBerry 10 device and still speaking about apps that does not works on bb10 without really knowing anything about that....

Posted via CB10
    Excluding OP, everyone in this thread owns at least one BB10 device.
    10-03-17 10:15 AM
    Thank you, for the price of both handsets it's worth a gamble.
    10-03-17 01:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    My thought exactly, I think these people moved on to Android but deep down they miss BB10 so they are trying to justify their reasoning for moving on. Just move on and be happy but quit trying to take our joy away for using an os that suits our needs.

Posted via CB10
    smiffey, rarsen and elfabio80 like this.
    10-03-17 02:02 PM
    So are we saying that these apps work?

My last Blackberry Was a Torch, before that a Curve and before that a Bold so a few years out of the loop. My son did have a Z10 for a while until all his freinds got into Snapchat so I'm out the loop I'm afraid with Blackberry.

I'm over apps for everything and have a Chromebook at home and connected to a laptop throughout most of my working day so I can connect to what ever I want really.

I do take quite a few pictures with my phone and have years of photos with Google photos so that could be an issue. Swapping from Amazon music to Spotify wouldn't ve the end of the world
    10-03-17 02:18 PM

My last Blackberry Was a Torch, before that a Curve and before that a Bold so a few years out of the loop. My son did have a Z10 for a while until all his freinds got into Snapchat so I'm out the loop I'm afraid with Blackberry.

I'm over apps for everything and have a Chromebook at home and connected to a laptop throughout most of my working day so I can connect to what ever I want really.

I do take quite a few pictures with my phone and have years of photos with Google photos so that could be an issue. Swapping from Amazon music to Spotify wouldn't ve the end of the world
    From your list the Amazon app is the only app that will work out of the box, Plex is available on the Amazon Appstore but I'm not sure if it supports keyboard devices. If an app isn't available on BlackBerry World or the Amazon Appstore (specifically for BB10 devices) that's where it gets tricky. At that point you'll have to find a copy of the Android app online to install to your device, the installation process is easy but finding the app could be a chore (some users sideload Google Play which makes this easier).

As these are Android apps, you'll have to find apps that are compatible with Android 4.3 (the version of Android that BB10 supports). This may be the case with Amazon Music. There's also a general security risk of installing apps that aren't up to date or not provided directly from the original developer (through a trusted storefront like BlackBerry World, Google Play, Amazon, etc although some developers do provide app downloads directly from their websites).

If you don't mind these limitations and still want a BB10 device I'd say go for the Passport as it has the best specs out of any BB10 device. If you just want the device to work without having to worry about app compatibility or compromises I'd recommend looking into the Priv or Keyone.
    smiffey and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-03-17 06:08 PM
    I did use Chromecast with my Passport SE, it was the patched version. I don't think I used it at full potential, I used it to connect to the Chromecast device and after that I used the Android Youtube app to pair with Chromecast youtube.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 10:01 PM
    I just browse the media files on my Passport through my smart TV. Any smart TV is likely capable of seeing and playing files and media on BB10 devices.

I usually download movies on my phone when I'm busy then later turn on my smart tv and watch them.

***Hammered out on my Precious (BlackBerry Passport) ***
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 10-04-17 at 05:43 AM.
    smiffey likes this.
    10-03-17 10:20 PM
    thanks for updates, I have found a store that has one Q10 in stock so going to check it out on Monday if it's still there.
    10-04-17 01:46 AM

Even if they work today... that could change tomorrow. Only 8% of Android users are on a version as old as the runtime in BB10.... most of those I expect are either older Tablets or devices in 3rd world markets. Neither are a concern for most developers today.

I assume that the cost of a four year old Q10 isn't really that big of a deal... if so, give it a try. But if you expect to use only this phone for a couple of years, that probable isn't going to work out. Especially if you are use to a modern Android device and using services like Google photos and just installing apps on demand.
    smiffey and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-04-17 08:33 AM
    There is a possibility that the Q10 doesn't have Wi-Fi direct or Miracast, so check that before you buy it if you need to stream media to your smart TV.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-17 03:11 PM