I was thinking today about Android and how if BlackBerry went away tomorrow I'd probably switch to the iPhone. For some reason I just don't like Android. There isn't one phone that I have spent time on that has ever made me want it.

Do people actually like Android or are they using it because it's the only real content rich viable alternative to Apple right now? I think if BB10 really delivers what we hope it will that Android will be taking the hit in the US. Apple seems to have a much more loyal fan base while it seems to me that Android is just an option and not a love. When I watch stuff like the OMAP5 demo it makes me think how could people not want a phone that has this OS with BBM, security etc. To me, it's a no brainer. I think Androids fragmentation is going to be its achilles heel and the weakness that keeps the door open for BlackBerry.

What do you think? Who will RIM be stealing the market back from?
    03-04-12 08:57 AM
    I think that Android is only good for tablets, IMO. I used a high powered Android device once, but that only lasted about a month, I just could handle it as a phone. I had to come back to my BB. I agree with you though, if BB went away, I would definitely switch to the iPhone.
    03-04-12 09:02 AM
    I think Android is a tinkerer's dream with the rooting and various custom Third party ROMs. If BB were to go away today I would probably end up in the android camp since I can't stand the way apple forces you to use iTunes to manage every aspect of your phone. In the end, the open source part of android will keep it going.
    03-04-12 09:05 AM
    Seems like they are just good at marketing and people are going to them because they're new. I wouldn't get one, battery only lasts about 3-4 hrs before needeing to charge. Good thing BlackBerry won't ever go away, don't want an iphone, android, or windows phone at all. Love the BlackBerry Bold series!
    Kevstra and jersey kid like this.
    03-04-12 09:15 AM
    I feel the Android UI is... Pardon the term... Cheap. I can't bring myself to appreciate it and it has always stuck in my head as an iOS wannabe. That's why I chose BB, yes it's "Jurassic" for some people but it gets the job done. I still see BB as a top tier phone compared to the very fragmented Android. Sorry, but I seemed not be able to respect it

If BB ever dies, I would want to go to Apple.
    03-04-12 09:19 AM
    I recently switched from being a BB handset owner (9700 then 9780) to owning one of the latest Android handsets and I have to say I am completely sold by it. It would take a lot for me to go back to a BB handset. I am a big app user and everything I want is on Marketplace and so much cheaper than App World. Skype video calling, words with friends (that isnt laggy like on the playbook), kindle, all the big names plus loads of diamond apps that one man developers have made and are totally useful. The OS is smooth and completely customisable. I have rooted so I have complete control. Should improve even further once I get ICS at the end of this month.

I did choose Android over iOS as Apple are so over priced. I get cheaper tethering, insurance and handsets on an Android. Having said that, Androids are all so different. I chose HTC because of the Sense integration and also I get Beats audio.

RIM are more likely to steal customers from Windows Phones. Android is massive the world over. It ain't going away.
    Last edited by ODAAT; 03-04-12 at 09:30 AM.
    03-04-12 09:27 AM
    I'll stick to my BB til the end, but, if I ever get to jump from ship, I'll go for an Android. However, the smoothness on the iPhone really gets me. The media has it like a never laggy never freeze phone, and I started believing that...
    03-04-12 09:30 AM
    I do like android, however, I feel like there is a disconnect between the OS and the hardware that I didn't get on iOS or BLACKBERRY. That could be simply because both RIM and Apple make their own OS to work specifically with their own hardware whereas Android is built to accommodate hardware from any old joe manufacturer. I'm sure it will evolve and hopefully adopt some conformity between devices/manufacturers but right now there is something missing from the "big picture". It just doesn't "feel" right to me and it's hard to explain why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 03-04-12 at 09:59 AM.
    03-04-12 09:42 AM
    Seems like they are just good at marketing and people are going to them because they're new. I wouldn't get one, battery only lasts about 3-4 hrs before needeing to charge. Good thing BlackBerry won't ever go away, don't want an iphone, android, or windows phone at all. Love the BlackBerry Bold series!
    Which is ironic because the longest I've gotten out of my 9900 with moderate to heavy use is 6 hours. My iPhone and Android before it were 18 hours on the same use.

Have you actually owned an Android device or are you just parroting misinformation you've read here?

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    teknishun likes this.
    03-04-12 09:55 AM
    I do like android, however, I feel like there is a disconnect between the OS and the hardware that I didn't get on iOS or BLACKBERRY. That could be simply because both RIM and Apple make their own OS to work specifically with their own hardware whereas Android is built to accommodate hardware from any old joe manufacturer. I'm sure it will evolve and hopefully adopt some conformity between devices/manufacturers but right now there is something missing from the "big picture" IMO. It just doesn't "feel" right to me and it's hard to explain why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Now this I can agree with.

03-04-12 09:56 AM
    Honestly talking to friends who have it, they love it! At the very least they think its a decent operating system but the hardware is lacking.

They don't want to be locked down by iOS, they don't want to give RIM a chance to mess them up again with unreliable handsets(why most of them switched actually) and some don't even know Windows exists as a phone platform, lol.

The package that Android offers them, at least from their point of view is simply best for them. BB could come in and get some back, but it would have to be one of a Grand Slam!
    03-04-12 10:00 AM
    I think if bb goes away I'd be in the Windows camp. Android is too clunky and not intuitive to me and I have never liked the way apple makes you do everything their way.
    03-04-12 10:00 AM
    I'm loving Android right now, but I'm not what one would call a loyalist. I'd be willing to try any platform that fits my needs. Right now I'm loving the functionality and customisation of Android. With Android you get out of it what you put into it. You can make it a tool:

Or a toy:

I've seen many cb members jump to Android and then get frustrated because it "can't do what bb does." Come to find out the task they were wanting to do IS avsilable, but since it doesn't work exactly the way it does on bb they just assumed this feature isn't available.

But yes, to answer OP's comment there are definitely those that actually like Android .
    ODAAT likes this.
    03-04-12 10:23 AM
    If BB go away and let me be clear, if and only if, then I would go crazy. I will probably end up in a psychiatric hospital because I don't know what to do.

I like the iOS integration with the iPhone hardware. It is smooth, less issues and there are enough apps to satisfy most of us. Also Apple Canada has one of the best customer service. I know this because they replaced my brother's iPhone 2 times without giving us the run around. They stand behind their products unlike RIM. However, I hate how Apple Inc turn in to a dictatorship style company. It is almost like a cult that everyone follow Apple without even thinking what they are getting into. Apple is getting too powerful at controlling what we can do and what we cannot do with our phones. I rather see Microsoft become a powerful company than Apple. Apple employees were treated with disrespect compared to Google employees so even with my privacy issues, I rather work for Google Inc than Apple Inc any day. You guys get the point.

Now for Android... I like the OS built by the Google with the open source access to the system. However, because the hardware is made by a one company and the software is made by another, sometimes some of the phones are not wroth my time and effort. Also, the OS seems to be messy no matter what manufacture I go with. I still can't find a way to properly close an app on an Android. May be someone here can help me out?

Anyway, I like BBs and iPhone because they works well. I don't like 99% of all Androids because the OS is complicated even for me. Depend on which Android phone you have, you will end up with unique set of problems so not every one with an Android will be able to help each other out.

I am sure I will go crazy if RIM goes down for good.
    03-04-12 10:31 AM
    I'm sure android devices have their own appeal. If not they wouldn't be selling in such high numbers. Though due to personal preferences, it would be my last choice. As mentioned above, i also feel that there is a disconnect from the software and hardware. Also the vast array of devices out there and the short life cycle of devices puts me off. I don't really like the idea that my phone would be replaced by a newer model just after a few months (think Droid RAZR Maxx). I have seriously tried to consider an android powered device that i really want, but nothing really could sway me. Not even the Galaxy Nexus. On the other hand, i find myself fascinated by the Lumia 800. Though, nothing is able to even remotely sway me to jump to another platform. Also, i still have a lot of faith in RIM to pull off BB10.

For me, the ecosystem doesn't bother me much. If the phone is good enough for me to justify the change in platform, the ecosystem is secondary. I have plenty of purchased iOS app just rotting away on my itunes.

Back to your actual question, Yes. Some people will love android, just like we love our BlackBerry. Everyone has their own preferences. Will it eat a lot into android's market share? i would guess probably not. Most consumers are switching around different platform and trying new things, they gain some, they lose some. Besides, do they need to eat into android's share? I don't see why all the existing smartphone platforms cant coexist in such a huge market.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-04-12 10:33 AM
    I'm loving Android right now, but I'm not what one would call a loyalist. I'd be willing to try any platform that fits my needs. Right now I'm loving the functionality and customisation of Android. With Android you get out of it what you put into it. You can make it a tool:

Click to view quoted image

Or a toy:

Click to view quoted image

I've seen many cb members jump to Android and then get frustrated because it "can't do what bb does." Come to find out the task they were wanting to do IS avsilable, but since it doesn't work exactly the way it does on bb they just assumed this feature isn't available.

But yes, to answer OP's comment there are definitely those that actually like Android .
    1. How do you close an open app on Android? I got an Android tablet for a gift and I am going nuts trying to close apps running in the background.

2. One more question, how is your battery life? With the new leaked OS 7.1, I get about 2.2%/hr drain which is much better than what I expected.

Thank you.
    03-04-12 10:34 AM
    Which is ironic because the longest I've gotten out of my 9900 with moderate to heavy use is 6 hours. My iPhone and Android before it were 18 hours on the same use.

Have you actually owned an Android device or are you just parroting misinformation you've read here?

I know iPhone has almost the same amount of battery life as Bold 9900. But depend on what apps are running and what you do with the phone this may varies. I have access to all three types of phone and I found in rural areas with weak signals where the phone has to constantly search for the signal, iPhone and Android sucks big time and Bold 9900 wins no question there.
    03-04-12 10:38 AM
    I feel the Android UI is... Pardon the term... Cheap. I can't bring myself to appreciate it and it has always stuck in my head as an iOS wannabe. That's why I chose BB, yes it's "Jurassic" for some people but it gets the job done. I still see BB as a top tier phone compared to the very fragmented Android. Sorry, but I seemed not be able to respect it

If BB ever dies, I would want to go to Apple.

That's why BB is the number 1 preferred device in the world and just eating up marketshare.
    03-04-12 10:41 AM
    1. How do you close an open app on Android? I got an Android tablet for a gift and I am going nuts trying to close apps running in the background.

2. One more question, how is your battery life? With the new leaked OS 7.1, I get about 2.2%/hr drain which is much better than what I expected.

Thank you.
    1. Settings - Applications - Manage applications. Although there's really not much of a need to manually close apps. The built in task manager in 2.2 and newer devices does all that for you.

2. It depends on my usage. I can typically get about 14 hours with moderate use.
    mssca likes this.
    03-04-12 10:42 AM
    1. Settings - Applications - Manage applications. Although there's really not much of a need to manually close apps. The built in task manager in 2.2 and newer devices does all that for you.

2. It depends on my usage. I can typically get about 14 hours with moderate use.
    So, if the apps are running on my pad, it won't drain the battery as long as I just exit the app? Do you think I should download that App killer app for my tablet?

Thank you for your input. If the battery life is good, I will look in to Androids. I wish we have more selection like US for Android phones with keyboards.
    03-04-12 10:47 AM
    I like the iOS integration with the iPhone hardware. It is smooth, less issues and there are enough apps to satisfy most of us. Also Apple Canada has one of the best customer service. I know this because they replaced my brother's iPhone 2 times without giving us the run around. They stand behind their products unlike RIM.
    +1 for that. Apple provides great support for their products. When my iphone's wifi decided it did not want any friends, they just replaced it. Especially for their macs and ipods which has international warranty (unlike PlayBook). My warranty was over for my mac and the graphics card decided it wanted to retire early. It was a known problem, and apple acknowledged that and repaired it free of charge for users. same as iPhone's previous antennagate fiasco, Apple acknowledged it and offered compensation in terms of bumper cases (think the popular bricking issue on 9900, which at this point no one really knows what causes it). I use to work in apple authorised retailer which also liase with the repair centres. Apple really do stand behind their products.
    03-04-12 10:48 AM
    So, if the apps are running on my pad, it won't drain the battery as long as I just exit the app? Do you think I should download that App killer app for my tablet?

Thank you for your input. If the battery life is good, I will look in to Androids. I wish we have more selection like US for Android phones with keyboards.
    nope, you dont need one. They will be fine letting the OS manage their running state
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-04-12 10:53 AM

"App killers" do more harm than good. They were made for pre froyo devices. Like I mentioned your tab has a built in task manager. When you start doing things that work against it that's where battery drain comes in.

The good thing about on screen keyboards is that there are dozens to choose from. If one keyboard doesn't work for you you're not stuck with that option.
    mssca and app_Developer like this.
    03-04-12 10:59 AM
    nope, you dont need one. They will be fine letting the OS manage their running state
    What do you mean by that? I am confused.
    03-04-12 11:14 AM
    What do you mean by that? I am confused.
    He's referring to the built in task manager that controls if the app needs to be running or not.
    03-04-12 11:27 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD