Does anyone know how OS updates will work for BB10? Will they come from BlackBerry or will they be released from individual carriers based on their timeline? Also, we will see leaked OS' for BB10?
    Qaxl likes this.
    02-04-13 11:05 AM
    I am 99% certain the wireless carriers remain the gatekeepers.
    02-04-13 11:17 AM
    They will be direct from BlackBerry and OTA's as far as I know, just like the PlayBook.
    02-04-13 11:18 AM
    @Kill_9

Oooh I'm interested in a definite answer now.
    02-04-13 11:20 AM
    They will be direct from BlackBerry and OTA's as far as I know, just like the PlayBook.
    I HOPE thats the case!!!!
    02-04-13 11:22 AM
    I hope none carrier related, as Blackberry should own it. I think carrier owned is where they brand it etc.
    02-04-13 11:25 AM
    That was my understanding as well...
    02-04-13 11:35 AM
    Confirmation on this?
    02-04-13 11:36 AM
    I've only ever heard of OTA updates like the playbook and not carrier specific. But it could like BBOS, and Android where the ROM drops for an upgrade, but carriers have to test the ROM before they release it which sucks, and unless there is a way to root, and BBRY goes that way, the OS upgrades could be pain staking!!
    02-04-13 11:37 AM
    My understanding is that carriers will only be testing the radio stack. There wil be some difference between carriers for deployment but not the insanely long delays like on BBOS.
    02-04-13 11:44 AM
    I hope none carrier related, as Blackberry should own it. I think carrier owned is where they brand it etc.
    No. The device branding is done in the device itself. At least it was for previous BBs. I'd be surprised if that wasn't still the case for the BB10 phones.

With the previous phones, the OS file was the same for all carriers regardless of who released it. The only difference was the vendor.xml that would accompany the carrier supplied OS to see only the device ID (the branding in the phone) it was for. Delete that file and you could load any carrier OS onto any other phone - as long as it's a compatible model.

While the OS has files needed for every carrier possible, another file would tell the loader which carrier your phone was tied to and load whatever vendor specific stuff was needed. T-Mobile, for example, had specific UMA files it needed while other carriers didn't.

And, contrary to popular belief, the carriers didn't add any bloatware to the OS itself. Carrier related weblink shortcuts came in via service books sent to your phone after the bootup from a fresh OS install. That's why your carrier's junk would show up even if you loaded another carrier's OS.

For the OPs question, we don't know yet. Supposedly, the OS has the ability to be updated in pieces, without the need to do a full OS install. A fix or upgrade to the radio stack may need carrier approval since that's how the phome talks to network, but a bug fix to, say, the way notifications work, could be sent directly to your phone without carrier involvement. At least, that's the theory. Whether that works in practice, we'll have to wait and see.
    Masahiro and PJD642 like this.
    02-04-13 11:53 AM
    My understanding is that carriers will only be testing the radio stack. There wil be some difference between carriers for deployment but not the insanely long delays like on BBOS.
    Well in window phone Microsoft bypasses carriers so maybe blackberry will to.

On branding I meant custom stuff like sprint apps etc past the initial carrier branding.
    02-04-13 11:57 AM
    My only complaint about AT&T is updates!
    02-04-13 12:05 PM
    Well, if the PB LTE is any example, it'll be carrier decided. It took slightly less than eternity for Rogers to release the 2.1 update (was about 4 weeks or so)
    I have no faith that updates will be pushed by RIM and the carriers won't have a say. I love Rogers don't get me wrong, but they have WAY to much control over the market and will do everything possible NOT to play fairly.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-04-13 12:36 PM
    Well, if the PB LTE is any example, it'll be carrier decided. It took slightly less than eternity for Rogers to release the 2.1 update (was about 4 weeks or so)
    I have no faith that updates will be pushed by RIM and the carriers won't have a say. I love Rogers don't get me wrong, but they have WAY to much control over the market and will do everything possible NOT to play fairly.
    Hopefully leaks like 9900 keep everyone happy
    02-04-13 12:41 PM
    Hopefully leaks like 9900 keep everyone happy
    I don't know whether it's going to be possible to install leaked OSes anymore in BB10.
    02-04-13 01:17 PM
    Although, the Dev Alpha just got a leaked OS today. Could be promising for Z10 owners.
    02-04-13 08:22 PM
    Yep sorry to rain on everyone's parade. BB 10 will be updated via the carriers as a gatekeeper. The LTE Playbook is a perfect example. I think Apple is the only one that has been able to dodge this rule?
    02-04-13 09:00 PM
    The Playbook LTE OS and the Z10 OS are so immature that any initial OS updates will touch the cellular baseband stuff, SMS features, bridge, tethering, hotspot, BIS support... --- which will give carriers an excuse to take a look at it before approval.
    02-04-13 11:16 PM
    Yep sorry to rain on everyone's parade. BB 10 will be updated via the carriers as a gatekeeper. The LTE Playbook is a perfect example. I think Apple is the only one that has been able to dodge this rule?
    Apple didn't dodge anything --- certain features (i.e. Facetime) were not available on AT&T iphones.
    02-04-13 11:18 PM
    Well in window phone Microsoft bypasses carriers so maybe blackberry will to.
    Tell that to WPCentral, where there was a TON of outrage over the Portico update being subjected to delay depending on what OEM made your phone. They may not have carrier related delays but they do have OEM fragmentation. Furthermore, there's also been mention made that MS only guaranteed no carrier interference for a limited time.
    02-05-13 01:19 AM
    Seeing that Apple is the only company strong enough to say "F*ck you" to carrier, on-contract BB10 will need to go through carrier.
    Even Samsung bows to almighty carriers.
    Or you can just buy the phone unlocked and get pre-paid data. Seriously, it costs much less over two years.
    02-05-13 04:16 AM