As we've been collecting more info about this over the last couple of days, I thought it would be a good idea to centralize and sticky this.

If you wipe a BB10 device post-shutdown, you will NOT BE ABLE TO SIDELOAD ANY APPS.

Sideloading refers to installing native apps from our archive (which is the only way to get native apps, as BlackBerry World is closed).

It doesn't matter what the device's BBID or Protect status is - it's the same for ALL.

You will still be able to install Android (v4.3) apps.

Update 1: To clarify, a wipe will REMOVE the device's BBID (if it still had one), and thus no Link backup/restores either.

Update 2: With no obvious reason, a subset of those wiping post-shutdown can't get past the wifi-phase of the initial setup.
    If a solution is found, this will be updated.

Update:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...issue-1193846/
    Last edited by conite; 02-19-22 at 05:36 PM.
    01-10-22 10:45 AM
    I'll have this thread deleted if we find a solution to the problem, but if you wipe a BB10 device post-shutdown, you will NOT BE ABLE TO SIDELOAD ANY APPS.

Sideloading refers to installing native apps from our archive.

It doesn't matter what the device's BBID or Protect status is - it's the same for ALL.

You will still be able to install Android apps.
    Have you tried the 10.3.1 loader yet? Or an earlier one?
    01-10-22 10:55 AM
    Have you tried the 10.3.1 loader yet? Or an earlier one?
    Funny you should ask, as I'm running the autoloader as we speak.

Update: Once loaded, the developer OS won't even get by the initial BlackBerry splash screen, nor will the device accept another loader. Might be looking for a developer portal to continue the boot cycle.

Scrap one Z10.
    Last edited by conite; 01-10-22 at 11:18 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-22 11:05 AM
    Funny you should ask, as I'm running the autoloader as we speak.

Update: Once loaded, the developer OS won't even get by the initial BlackBerry splash screen, nor will the device accept another loader. Might be looking for a developer portal to continue the boot cycle.

Scrap one Z10.
    Ouch. Now we know!
    01-10-22 11:33 AM

Scrap one Z10.
    How many "volunteers" do you have?
    Tiger050 likes this.
    01-10-22 01:44 PM
    How many "volunteers" do you have?
    I have a couple others I can throw at this, but I need to sort out what is worth testing, and perhaps gather some more data first.
    01-10-22 02:06 PM
    I have a couple others I can throw at this, but I need to sort out what is worth testing, and perhaps gather some more data first.
    It’s not looking good!
    01-10-22 02:34 PM
    How about Blitz, would that work? If it does, maybe thats the way to go when in need for refreshing OS?
    01-10-22 03:09 PM
    How about Blitz, would that work? If it does, maybe thats the way to go when in need for refreshing OS?
    A Blitz is a sideload. So, no.
    01-10-22 03:12 PM
    I meant instead of reinstalling OS autoloader/wipe... Maybe then it would allow sideloading, as before?
    01-10-22 03:14 PM
    I meant instead of reinstalling OS autoloader/wipe... Maybe then it would allow sideloading, as before?
    A Blitz is a convenient way to upgrade an OS, but doesn't typically fix anything that's broken.

That said, selectively sideloading just the Android Runtime can eliminate maybe 10% of Android environment issues that normally require a wipe to repair.
    hazmaju likes this.
    01-10-22 03:26 PM
    Thats what i meant and as the things are, maybe a way to try and fix something when/if needed...
    01-10-22 03:28 PM
    Is there any way of applying a backup without the setup being completed/being past the wifi portion?
    01-10-22 03:31 PM
    Is there any way of applying a backup without the setup being completed/being past the wifi portion?
    I guess not, as Link or DBBT isn't an option without a BBID, and without the ability to sideload native apps Ultimate Backup is out too.
    01-10-22 03:43 PM
    I guess not, as Link or DBBT isn't an option without a BBID, and without the ability to sideload native apps Ultimate Backup is out too.
    I don't have any device in said configuration to test it, but I wonder if a BBID would even persist following a wipe. My guess is no.

Pretty sure a wipe brings everyone to the same playing field - no Link, no sideload. Jellybean apps only.
    01-10-22 03:46 PM
    I don't have any device in said configuration to test it, but I wonder if a BBID would even persist following a wipe. My guess is no.

Pretty sure a wipe brings everyone to the same playing field - no Link, no sideload. Jellybean apps only.
    Pre-shutdown my device had a valid BBID active with Protect on.
    Post shutdown I performed a security wipe.
    My BBID disappeared.
    I cannot sign back in with those same BBID credentials. I cannot sign in with ANY BBID.

Does that answer your question?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-22 04:02 PM
    Pre-shutdown my device had a valid BBID active with Protect on.
    Post shutdown I performed a security wipe.
    My BBID disappeared.
    I cannot sign back in with those same BBID credentials. I cannot sign in with ANY BBID.

Does that answer your question?
    You betcha. So there we are. One big happy family.
    moydomsu likes this.
    01-10-22 04:11 PM
    You betcha. So there we are. One big happy family.
    Thanks for sacrificing your Z10 for the rest of us.

It looks like my decision to keep my BBID and previously installed BlackBerry World apps was a decent one. And it makes sense that a reset will wipe my BBID.

As someone who is happy with just the stock, preloaded BlackBerry apps on BB10, I am satisfied, if not thrilled, with the post shutdown capabilities of my BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-22 04:52 PM
    it makes sense that a reset will wipe my BBID.
    And this was what the whole BBID/noBBID decision was really about.

Would it be ignored, or would it brick the device.
    01-10-22 05:03 PM
    And this was what the whole BBID/noBBID decision was really about.

Would it be ignored, or would it brick the device.
    Yes. There was no way to be sure in advance. That's why I kept my BBID on my daily driver, and wiped it from my reserve Z10 just in case.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-22 05:06 PM
    Just to be clear for us non-technical types. Prior to January 4th, I turned off protect, removed from website, didn't sign in with BBID.

Therefore, in the future if it became necessary, I could do an auto-loader without issue? The only function missing would be native apps, correct?

At the moment, other than increased battery usage, the phones have worked without issue for what I need: as a phone, SMS, WhatsApp, emails, etc. And I assume the increased battery usage may be the result of some Android Apps that replaced native apps (same app just different OS) such as Tunein Radio.
    01-10-22 08:19 PM
    Just to be clear for us non-technical types. Prior to January 4th, I turned off protect, removed from website, didn't sign in with BBID.

Therefore, in the future if it became necessary, I could do an auto-loader without issue? The only function missing would be native apps, correct?

At the moment, other than increased battery usage, the phones have worked without issue for what I need: as a phone, SMS, WhatsApp, emails, etc. And I assume the increased battery usage may be the result of some Android Apps that replaced native apps (same app just different OS) such as Tunein Radio.
    It doesn't matter what you did before Jan 4th. If ANYONE wipes/autoloads now, they will not be able to use Link or sideload apps from the native app archive, but will otherwise be able to use the device.

Android apps only.
    01-10-22 08:42 PM
    It doesn't matter what you did before Jan 4th. If ANYONE wipes/autoloads now, they will not be able to use Link or sideload apps from the native app archive, but will otherwise be able to use the device.

Android apps only.
    Conite, thank you.

Each to their own needs, but that works for me. As long as I have phone, email, WA, etc. I am good to go.
    01-10-22 09:28 PM

Android apps only.
    That's a real shame, considering all the work you and others put into preserving access to BlackBerry apps, but it's also good that we all know now. Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    idssteve and dmlis like this.
    01-10-22 09:30 PM
    great news overall. Shame the media makes it sound like bb10 os devices with 3g connections are trash.

still can't figure out how the Q10 on Fido is getting full signal post shutdown.
    01-10-22 10:04 PM
344 123 ...