I am confused. I know we will not be able to use Whatsapp next year. But now I hear that all support for BlackBerry 10 devices will be stopped. Is this true? Does this mean my new Passport will be worthless???

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 10:35 PM
    No, that's not true, depending on the meaning of "support". Last OS updates may occur next year. BBOS phones haven't been thrown out by many, so any change to usability would have to be determined by you.
    07-04-16 10:47 PM
    "Support" has been more-or-less defined by BB as meaning "how long we'll provide security updates for the OS." And, they've scheduled 2 such updates: one that was supposed to be out in March, but was pushed back to June, and then pushed back again to July (this is 10.3.3), and a second update that is scheduled for sometime in early 2017 (10.3.4). That is the end of the known BB10 roadmap.

Note that these aren't feature additions or even bug-fixes, really - they're security updates to patch security-specific holes. No significant new user-facing features are expected or promised, and many important development components have officially been announced as not being further developed (even ones that are already out of date and EOL). The Android Runtime also will not be updated past 4.3.

In other words, BB10 is no longer being actively developed - in fact, it's been about 19 months since it has been actively developed - that's when the bulk of the remaining BB10 developers were laid off. And the world hasn't stopped developing and moving forward just because BB10 did, and as time goes on, changes and new APIs and new standards will break compatibility with BB10 in various ways - ask folks with a Playbook how well their stock web browser works today, for an example. If you define "life" for an OS as being "actively developed", then BB10 died 19 months ago. If you define it as "it's still running on my device", then it could live on for several more years - but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be fully functional; in fact, you can expect gradual degradation as the tech universe continues to evolve around it.

Plenty of WebOS devices still boot up today, but using them for anything significant is difficult or impossible, because so many of the standards and services that WebOS was developed around simply don't exist in the same state today, making WebOS effectively "broken." Yes, phone calls and texts still work, but not much else. That is BB10s future - we just don't have any real way to know exactly how fast that will come. That it is coming is indisputable, though.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-05-16 02:03 AM
    Yes. Send your phones to me. I will dispose of them at no cost.

You cannot pass up this deal

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 02:12 AM
    I just got a new passport. Will likely use it for a couple of years unless some killer communication device comes along (i.e passport 2). I am not concerned.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:22 AM