Um, so yeah...main question/concern is in the title. Some have claimed this and another recently stated he observed ports running even when fully closed and on a fresh boot.

Also wondering, if the answer is yes, can this effect be reduced by removing some and leaving only what you need?

For example, I have Skype, BJKing, and Overdrive. I am willing to remove all but Skype if there is a balancing effect with that.

Lastly, I'm not talking side loads only here. I am talking about officially released Android ports.

Oh and one more thing: isn't this something 10.2 addresses?

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    Talk to me about "mobile computing instead of just another smartphone OS" when we have universal landscape support! SMH
    07-27-13 11:36 AM
    some people claim that the ebay app was a great example of this, i never observed it happening though.
    07-27-13 11:40 AM
    You can download task manager from app world and it will show you if any android apps are running and allow you to kill them. It appears 10.2 will have a task manager built in, nobody has seen it in action yet to my knowledge so we don't know for sure if it will handle native apps, ported apps or both.
    07-27-13 11:42 AM
    It sounds not possible that an installed app should be able to influence anything - exept for using internal storage.

At this point (AFAIK) only BlackBerry can write an app that autoloads when the device boots. So apps installed by the user are just "files" until they are started.

If someone knows better - let me know.
    07-27-13 11:48 AM
    From what i found its not the apps so much the android runtime. I did notice my battery draining faster after using android apps. I got the app Task killer and use it after running a android app and it kills anything in the ram and seems to fix the issues from android runtime running in the backgroud.
    07-27-13 11:55 AM
    At this point (AFAIK) only BlackBerry can write an app that autoloads when the device boots. So apps installed by the user are just "files" until they are started.
    This is true. A "regular" Android app cannot start automatically at boot.

Intents - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer

The following intents are not broadcasted:
    [...]
    android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED
    [...]

Software Features - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer

[...]
    No support to run services in the background. Applications can run services only while the user runs them, either in fullscreen or in thumbnail mode
    [...]

Skype definitely has the permission to run services in the background backed into the OS by BlackBerry. I don't know of any other Android ported app that enjoys these privileges.

From what i found its not the apps so much the android runtime. I did notice my battery draining faster after using android apps. I got the app Task killer and use it after running a android app and it kills anything in the ram and seems to fix the issues from android runtime running in the backgroud.
    Edit: It could be possible that the Android runtime itself could remain in running state in the background in some cases, even after the Android apps were closed, and that could be the cause of reported battery drains. I have no knowledge of the actual implementation of the Android runtime, so maybe someone in the know will explain it to us.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    Last edited by serbanescu; 07-27-13 at 10:20 PM.
    07-27-13 12:07 PM
    So what I gather from this discussion is...

If you use Android apps, the runtime runs in the background and you may experience battery drain...period.

Removing some Android apps won't help. Only removing all will. Which I'm not willing to do at this time.

Correct?

07-27-13 12:51 PM
    You can download task manager from app world and it will show you if any android apps are running and allow you to kill them. It appears 10.2 will have a task manager built in, nobody has seen it in action yet to my knowledge so we don't know for sure if it will handle native apps, ported apps or both.
    Can you link which app you are talking about?

A search for this on BlackBerry World resulted in one app which was an Android Port itself (lol defeats the purpose), and a few weird, obscure apps that I couldn't tell if it was a task manager as in OS tasks or to do list tasks (lol).

Thanks!

Last edited by STV0726; 07-27-13 at 06:22 PM.
    07-27-13 12:54 PM

If you use Android apps, the runtime runs in the background and you may experience battery drain...period.

Removing some Android apps won't help. Only removing all will. Which I'm not willing to do at this time.

Correct?

There is no need to remove all Android apps. If you don't start any of them you should not experience battery drain.

I don't know about tasks managers for BB10, maybe someone else will provide a link?

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-27-13 01:07 PM

Correct?

No. I'm using the Kindle app every day and have never seen the reported battery drain. So it isn't just the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 01:47 PM
    Not all Android apps. I have a few and my battery is excellent. Usually drains out around 6 PM. And in a heavy user. The only two I've found have a significant impact on battery life are Skype and Ebay.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    07-27-13 02:01 PM
    If I'm not mistaken I remember reading on the forums that 10.2's task manager will include sideloaded apps?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 02:20 PM
    But some have reported that Android apps run even when not started, such as Skype.

Such claims imply that even if I sign out of Skype, I will still experience battery drain.

07-27-13 06:24 PM
    I run android apps everyday especially Instagram and I kinda ran a test last week.

- I ran 4 android apps and closed them normally, that day I did experience battery drain, possibly due to the runtime as others stated.

- The next day after a reboot and charge I loaded the same apps for a bit, and held the X to force close them, I didn't experience any drain at all.

I'm not a 100% sure if holding the X till the app closes, closes the android runtime but I do every time just in case. (Unless your running Skype of course)

And there will be a task manager, how good it will be and what aps it'll control I'm not sure.

Do Android ports REALLY have an effect on battery life even when closed?-air_20130727_00000.jpg

Posted Via CB10 | C00016D82
    07-27-13 08:56 PM
    I run android apps everyday especially Instagram and I kinda ran a test last week.

- I ran 4 android apps and closed them normally, that day I did experience battery drain, possibly due to the runtime as others stated.

- The next day after a reboot and charge I loaded the same apps for a bit, and held the X to force close them, I didn't experience any drain at all.

I'm not a 100% sure if holding the X till the app closes, closes the android runtime but I do every time just in case. (Unless your running Skype of course)

And there will be a task manager, how good it will be and what aps it'll control I'm not sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AIR_20130727_00000.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	186549

The runtime does get a little funky with background stuff. My Google voice side load will give me notifications when closed if I open it first. And yes holding the x does shut down the app process but no not the whole runtime. If it did every open android app would close with the first.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:36 PM
    The runtime does get a little funky with background stuff. My Google voice side load will give me notifications when closed if I open it first. And yes holding the x does shut down the app process but no not the whole runtime. If it did every open android app would close with the first.

Posted via CB10
    I guess I should have been more specific, I ment I had a hunch that it shuts down when you close the last android app. Which wouldn't be hard to code the Os to handle it that way.

But if you have Skype installed and signed in it won't close.

07-27-13 11:02 PM
    I guess I should have been more specific, I ment I had a hunch that it shuts down when you close the last android app. Which wouldn't be hard to code the Os to handle it that way.

But if you have Skype installed and signed in it won't close.

Gotcha, good question.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 11:58 PM
    Do Android ports REALLY have an effect on battery life even when closed?-img_00000204.png

First, the bad guys:

Can anyone tell me what fresh-hell that calendar thing running in the background is?

Also, I have deleted MyTmobile because for the laggy, near-useless piece of crap that it is, it isn't worth having it load every time my device boots. Not to mention, killing it only is temporary as it respawns itself after some time.

Lastly, Skype really shouldn't run on its own, but in general that port works quite well for me especially since the update a month or so ago. You can kill the process so long as you are signed out.

Now, the good guys:

My only other Android ports, which include Blackjack King and Overdrive Media Console, don't seem to ever run on their own nor do they stay running after closing them, so good on them. *thumbs up*

07-29-13 11:10 AM