Hey gang,

Does anyone know if android apps can/do run in the background?

Just noticed that Bittorrent sync via snap works now on bb10 and wondering if it will run in the background syncing files.

Thx,

J
    09-11-14 07:52 PM
    Whenever I check Task Manager I see tons of my Android apps open and running in the background. Maybe in your case, that will be a good thing! But you're wondering about them being headless kinda, right? That's a good question. I doubt the app would actively work if it is not opened. For instance, I connect to someone's NAS drive where he has shared a folder with me of music. In order to download the music, I have to have the android app open and running in an active frame.

hope this helps.
    09-11-14 08:10 PM
    Clean Master runs in the background, since it occasionally notifies me there are junk files to be cleaned up.

Posted from my Q10.
    09-11-14 08:55 PM
    tTorrent will also run in the background.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1052 | Bell | via CB10
    09-11-14 09:57 PM
    Yes, Android apps can run in the background, but they won't appear in the BlackBerry built-in task manager, but if you download an Android task manager, you'll see all the Android background tasks..

I wish BlackBerry would allow Android apps to have their permissions altered because as it turns out, a lot of Android apps seem to have background components (eg, the Amazon App store app is one example) and in most cases I would prefer that these apps do not run..

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 10:12 PM
    Thanks gang.

Turns out Bittorrent sync doesn't work so well anyway, but now I know. Appreciated!
    09-11-14 10:18 PM
    The short answer really is not all Android Apps will run in the background. Mainly maintenance apps and apps connected to the 'cloud' will run in the background but from my experience not all the time. I am just concentrating on Android Apps though here as opposed to the native and ported BlackBerry Apps.

For example I have WD MyCloud App installed which I use to connect to my NAS drives at home where ever I am in the world and that will run in the background when ever it syncs however it doesn't run continuously per se, only when syncing. So if I say set an App to sync every 30mins (if supported) then it will check in that duration for new files added etc.

torrent Apps I would guess will run all the time in the background as it is what I call a 'service' app and would I imagine suck quite a bit of juice.
    09-11-14 10:19 PM