Is Kevin still sleeping this time zone in Canada?

I also find it essential to have Outlook sync capability, but at the moment I want BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM) to allow people unlock their phone easier (could be ok through 3rd parties), otherwise people may stop wanting to buy the device soon.
    02-07-13 12:56 AM
    Sorry to say that when the very fine Palm PIM went to WebOS it too killed off wired syncing. It is now dead. RIM = RIP?
    dogger222 likes this.
    02-07-13 05:14 AM
    02-07-13 11:57 AM
    Well, I think this issue just made my decision. I've been using Blackberries for several years and have patiently waiting to see how BB10 was brought to us.
    First, being in the USA, I certainly NEVER expected that we would have to wait a month or longer after BB10 and the first phones were available in Canada, the UK and elsewhere.
    But, I thought, Okay, I've waited this long, I can wait a bit more.
    Then - also having a Playbook - I find out that BB10 Bridge does not include most of the features in BB OS 7? What in the world???? Again, releasing a "not ready for prime time" product (recall the Storm 1?).
    And now this - no native sync with Outlook?
    Bye Bye Blackberry. We had fun for a while but it's over for me. Sad. Sniffle, sniffle. I expected more - MUCH more.
    aargy and southlander like this.
    02-07-13 01:02 PM
    A user comment from the Blackberry forum...

A large part of the world market perhaps even a majority use Outlook to managed email, contacts and calendar at their desktops. I use Outlook at my desktop with a single user email account via Rogers, not a backend Exchange platform. I already have an old iPhone that syncs my Outlook inbox, calendar and contacts. I purchased the BB10 to move up in technology, get the ability to manage which email folders get synchronized and also enable me to easily sync selected documents.
    Although the BB10 does the later it does not appear to be capable of managing the simple task of synchronizing emails, contacts and calendar data with Outlook. Having two unsynchronized copies of this data puts us further into the dark ages, almost back to the period of "sneaker transfer". So you stop using Outlook, join the cloud, or don't buy BB.
    I would be surprised to learn this is a planned BB strategy. I find it hard to believe BB would turn their back on such a large market at this critical juncture in their business. Therefore I have to believe it was an oversight or a very bad glitch; but if that is true, then where is the corporate communication to mitigate the damage. If BB does not address this sync-with-Outlook-data issue in the next few days I fail to see how the BB10 product will prosper let alone save the company.
    As an investor this is very sad as I have been a backer of the company for some time. As a consumer this is disappointing and I will be bringing my BB10 back to the vendor if I do not see a solution or at least a promise of a solution within the next few days. I suspect I will not be alone.
    By the way the 3rd party solution by Comopanionlink that was mentioned in this thread looks interesting but I cannot wait until May to see if it works.
    I hope this thread turns positive in the next day or two.

There have been lots of questions and threads on this issue and zero comments from those close to RIM/Blackberry, so I'm calling it out. Please excuse the frustration, but this is a simple question, it's a very important issue for lots of us out here, and the silence has been deafening - "It syncs to Outlook" with no details is no longer acceptable. This is a deal breaker for many on here, so can anyone make it simple and clear?

Direct questions :

1) What options does BB10 offer for syncing desktop Outlook (POP3 email accounts, not using Exchange) for Tasks, Calendar, Contacts and Notes?
    (USB, local WiFi, Blackberry Link, 3rd party conduit via Outlook.com or Google, etc.)

2) What are the limitations on each option? (do categories get synced? are there date range limitations on Calendar items or Tasks, etc.)

TIA - R.
    aargy likes this.
    02-07-13 01:27 PM
    Has anyone heard back from Kevin or anyone on the Crackberry team? Seems this issue has upset a lot of people.
    02-07-13 01:29 PM
    Bump ... Kevin? Blackberry?
    02-07-13 04:21 PM
    Well, I think this issue just made my decision. I've been using Blackberries for several years and have patiently waiting to see how BB10 was brought to us.
    First, being in the USA, I certainly NEVER expected that we would have to wait a month or longer after BB10 and the first phones were available in Canada, the UK and elsewhere.
    But, I thought, Okay, I've waited this long, I can wait a bit more.
    Then - also having a Playbook - I find out that BB10 Bridge does not include most of the features in BB OS 7? What in the world???? Again, releasing a "not ready for prime time" product (recall the Storm 1?).
    And now this - no native sync with Outlook?
    Bye Bye Blackberry. We had fun for a while but it's over for me. Sad. Sniffle, sniffle. I expected more - MUCH more.

OK better chance one will be there for me.
    northernrds likes this.
    02-07-13 04:57 PM
    Just wait until you find out what it doesn't do that you need.
    02-07-13 05:00 PM
    Why cant RIM or Kevin answer this????????????

Just so everyone knows: If Blackberry Fails so does Crackberry.... Maybe that is why there isn't an answer, and maybe that is why everything on this site such as reviews and blog posts are biased.....
    zeteo likes this.
    02-07-13 05:12 PM
    I was thinking I may need to get an iphone if this Outlook syncing isn't fixed for BB, but I just read on the Apple forum that itunes 11 won't allow users to sync with Outlook either (10.7 did). Seems all these companies want everyone to use Cloud for everything. Well I for one don't want Cloud anything, I want a cable and the ability to keep my stuff organized and PRIVATE.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
    phylez, kolok and Beakman like this.
    02-07-13 05:18 PM
    So, BlackBerry Link does not do Outlook sync at this time, and it may not. Ever. I think BB ignores this at its peril, but this may just be a fact of life.

Now, there IS third-party product: Sync BB10 with Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes -- CompanionLink Software

It's a little on the pricey side at $50, but it does look like it fits the need.

(an aside: what tools are available in iOS or Android for this function?)
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-07-13 05:18 PM
    Count me among the people who won't buy Z/Q10 if it doesn't support desktop synch with Outlook. I will not do anything on the cloud, shouldn't have to pay $50 for another piece of software to do something BB has done all along and am not signing up for GoogleMail or anything else.
    aargy likes this.
    02-07-13 06:04 PM
    Let me help you out @Thunderbuck with more information on CompanionLink

From their website:

Availability: Direct CompanionLink Sync will be available when our DejaOffice app is approved in the BlackBerry World app store. This approval is pending. Please bookmark this page as we will change this notice as soon as our app gets approved. Until then, CompanionLink can be used to synchronize to any Google account, which will connect to BlackBerry 10 devices.

Direct Sync with Blackberry Hub: Support for BlackBerry Hub Contacts and Hub Calendar can currently be done by synchronizing through a Google account. We are developing a direct link that will not require Google, and plan to release it by May 2013. Support for BB10 Native Contacts and Calendar is expected to be released by May 2013 and will be a free upgrade when it is available.

Everyone looking at Companion Link should go to their website.

I wonder why BlackBerry and the those In The Know didn't let people know about this before they bought their Zed10s. How many people stayed with their old BBs BECAUSE of the built in Intellisync features of Desktop Manager only to be betrayed? P.S. I haven't synced a BB since BES 2.0 came out. Or whenever Wireless Sync was invented.
    02-07-13 06:15 PM
    I picked my Z10 up today and except for the synching issue love it so far. I have 14 days to return...and I have another friend who needs a solution...if BB does not either come out with a solution ASAP or at least a "sorry it is coming ASAP" I will return my BB for something else. IOS synchs with Outlook...Windows Phone does...I have no idea about Android but I am sure it does...brutal!
    02-07-13 06:49 PM
    Why is it a blogger's responsibility to answer on behalf of BlackBerry?? Leave Kevin out of this...yeesh.

As far as this major issue, I don't like it either, but it is the way of the future and I've synced my contacts and calendar to Outlook.com and it works fantastic. I now have a solution that syncs over the air instantly without the need of plugging in a USB cable and running that god awful BB Desktop Manager (may she rest in peace).

Don't be such old farts and just sync your contacts and calendar to the cloud. OR....put on your tinfoil hats and wait until May when CompanionLink should have there solution in place.
    02-07-13 07:11 PM
    Why is it a blogger's responsibility to answer on behalf of BlackBerry?? Leave Kevin out of this...yeesh.

As far as this major issue, I don't like it either, but it is the way of the future and I've synced my contacts and calendar to Outlook.com and it works fantastic. I now have a solution that syncs over the air instantly without the need of plugging in a USB cable and running that god awful BB Desktop Manager (may she rest in peace).

Don't be such old farts and just sync your contacts and calendar to the cloud. OR....put on your tinfoil hats and wait until May when CompanionLink should have there solution in place.
    1) Does it sync Outlook's Categories for each Task, Contact, etc.?

I'll assume your cracks about old farts and tinfoil hats were in jest.

- R.
    02-07-13 08:15 PM
    Since this has been discussed in about 2,334,947 threads here now, I will regurgitate part of what I posted in those other places.

RIM/Blackberry has historically relied upon a 3rd-party syncing bridge utility to facilitate Outlook sync via Blackberry Desktop. (I thought it was Microsoft ActiveSync, but someone else mentioned it was actually Intellisync from Intellisync Corporation) This was built-in to Blackberry Desktop, it was installed when you installed Blackberry Desktop and provided the actual link to Outlook. (Not to mention - it has to be aware of Outlook's various idiosyncracies and it has to keep up every time Microsoft diddles around with how Outlook works.)

Either way, neither of those options are available to Blackberry any more. Microsoft killed-off ActiveSync and made its replacement "Microsoft only", and Intellisync is now owned by Nokia, and I really doubt BB wants to hitch their wagon to a company that has recently become their direct competitor.

So it sounds to me like the rug was pulled out from under them to some extent. I didn't think any other mobile platform had desktop PIM syncing capability any more, but recently discovered that Apple did actually have this facility via the iTunes app - but according to what KodyShadow posted here earlier, looks like Apple killed that off too.

My personal preference would be to have what I used to use on my Palm devices - Palm Desktop. But I gave that up to use Blackberry in the first place.

Regarding the security of the "cloud" - I have never understood the whole mentality of storing all sorts of critical/confidential data with freebie online services. That has always been a dumb idea as far as I'm concerned. I will probably end up running my own mobile-synced email server once I get off my *ss and get it running, but most people aren't in a position to do that. For them, if email is critical and so is security, there are tons of "real" email hosting providers that have lots better assurances of reliability and security than these mickey-mouse freebie services. Might cost a few dollars a month though. Perish the thought.

(Edit: Here is a link to the press release announcing RIM's license deal with Intellisync back in 1998. The company's name used to be Puma Technology. Research In Motion Licenses Intellisync Synchronization Platform From Puma Technology To Enhance New Inter@ctive Pager )
    02-07-13 09:12 PM

Seriously+1 . All this ********, griping, and threatening from some members to go buy an iPhone or Android is getting tiring. Enough already! Cloud computing is here to stay and as someone mentioned earlier, even Apple is removing the ability to sync to Outlook on the desktop in the next iTunes software upgrade. One can either wait for the third-party solution, use the posted work around, or go get an iPhone or whatever else for as long as they will allow desktop syncing with the phone.
    02-07-13 09:13 PM
    Just tried to look at the Intellisync website just now. All the links go back to the root Nokia website showcasing all their Windows 8 Phones, and noted the following in the wikipedia entry for Intellisync:

"Its primary competitor is Research in Motion (RIM)."
    Heh.
    charliechan likes this.
    02-07-13 09:25 PM
    Seriously+1 . All this ********, griping, and threatening from some members to go buy an iPhone or Android is getting tiring. Enough already! Cloud computing is here to stay and as someone mentioned earlier, even Apple is removing the ability to sync to Outlook on the desktop in the next iTunes software upgrade. One can either wait for the third-party solution, use the posted work around, or go get an iPhone or whatever else for as long as they will allow desktop syncing with the phone.
    But don't all you bleet about the well known Security Advantages of a BlackBerry? Or was that thrown out in one of the many compromises that always get made in a new product launch. Any government or federal agencies want to comment about that?
    ssbtech and aargy like this.
    02-07-13 09:28 PM
    It looks like iTunes can still sync with Outlook via cable, but what was changed was if you had iCloud enabled as a syncable target for mail/contacts/calendars, it would disable the ability to sync with Outlook via cable. So in theory, disabling the iCloud syncing re-enables Outlook desktop/wired sync.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20867775#20867775
    02-07-13 09:32 PM
    But don't all you bleet about the well known Security Advantages of a BlackBerry? Or was that thrown out in one of the many compromises that always get made in a new product launch. Any government or federal agencies want to comment about that?
    Government agencies that don't have a screw-loose don't use freebie online webmail accounts to store government data. Nor do they use rinkydink USB syncing for their thousands of employees.

Well, unless you're Sarah Palin. Oops, sorry - she comes under the "screw loose" exception.
    02-07-13 09:33 PM
    So no one except the old people here sync to Outlook via Desktop Manager.
    Right.

Good thing I have ActiveSync (which is the Microsoft product, not Intellisync) to sync all of my PIM data.
    02-07-13 09:35 PM
    So no one except the old people here sync to Outlook via Desktop Manager.
    Right.

Good thing I have ActiveSync (which is the Microsoft product, not Intellisync) to sync all of my PIM data.
    Have you read what we're saying? It's MS Office Outlook on personal PCs running ISP based emails. There is no Exchange for ActiveSync to sync contacts and calendar entries. And, of course no one said we are syncing emails (which some apparently think we're talking about - but not).
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-07-13 09:50 PM
305 1234 ...