Here's my contribution to the whole "Outlook sync" issue - I was a Torch 9800 user with stand-alone Outlook and, yes I relied on syncing calendar/contacts/tasks via BB Desktop. When I switched to the Z10 I tried Google as a temporary solution but have now switched to CompanionLink with DejaOffice sideloaded. Yes, it appears to work - however, Deja office is somewhat clunky. It's slow and awkward to navigate compared to the native Contacts & Calendar apps. I will stick with this for now in the hopes that: a) BB replace the syncing functionality in BB Link; or b) DejaOffice is improved.
    By the way - attempted the Outlook.com solution and could not make it work - must be me.
    Outlook.com does indeed work. Which part failed to work properly?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 10:07 AM
    Ummm ... Adam/Kevin - given the intense negative reaction many users are having to the loss of the Outlook USB sync and receiving no warning from Blackberry about its loss, do you think that maybe it might have been a good idea to include a mention of this in this Crackberry article :

Thinking of switching from BlackBerry 7 to BlackBerry 10? Here's what you need to know | CrackBerry.com

I mean, if I were a Crackberry member relying on the OS7 USB sync and used that article as a guide in making my upgrade decision I'd be pretty choked at the "surprise" result.

Just a thought.

- R.
    rottonj likes this.
    02-14-13 01:42 PM
    I'm attempting to use the Outlook.com connector method. *Has anyone experienced the following problem?*
    Add a contact via Outlook.com, syncs fine with BlackBerry. Change it or delete it on BlackBerry, syncs fine back to Outlook.com. However, add the contact on BlackBerry and then change or delete it on Outlook.com, it does not affect the BlackBerry. *I have to go back to the BlackBerry and change it or delete it again directly on the phone. *Thus, not really a two way sync.*
    02-14-13 01:45 PM
    I'm attempting to use the Outlook.com connector method. *Has anyone experienced the following problem?*
    Add a contact via Outlook.com, syncs fine with BlackBerry. Change it or delete it on BlackBerry, syncs fine back to Outlook.com. However, add the contact on BlackBerry and then change or delete it on Outlook.com, it does not affect the BlackBerry. *I have to go back to the BlackBerry and change it or delete it again directly on the phone. *Thus, not really a two way sync.*
    When creating the contact on your phone, you need to "unlink" it from your local contacts, so that it is only linked to the outlook.com contacts. By default, a contact created on the phone is linked to both the local and outlook.com profiles. To see the links, hit the "Links" button on the bottom of the screen when viewing the Contact on your Z10. When you delete the contact via Outlook.com, it only deletes the outlook.com linked one on your phone. Interesting behaviour.
    berryaddictnoza and b320 like this.
    02-14-13 02:28 PM
    When creating the contact on your phone, you need to "unlink" it from your local contacts, so that it is only linked to the outlook.com contacts. By default, a contact created on the phone is linked to both the local and outlook.com profiles. To see the links, hit the "Links" button on the bottom of the screen when viewing the Contact on your Z10. When you delete the contact via Outlook.com, it only deletes the outlook.com linked one on your phone. Interesting behaviour.
    Okay, I see what you mean by the "links." However, if I delink it from EITHER "local" or "Outlook.com," when adding it to Z10, and then delete the synced entry via Outlook.com, it still leaves one copy of the entry in the Z10 contacts folder. How do you add a new contact via the Z10 contacts, and then at some later date, say when you're cleaning up your address book, but doing so via Outlook.com, assure that the contact is also removed from the Z10 Contacts folder?
    02-14-13 04:04 PM
    Okay, I see what you mean by the "links." However, if I delink it from EITHER "local" or "Outlook.com," when adding it to Z10, and then delete the synced entry via Outlook.com, it still leaves one copy of the entry in the Z10 contacts folder. How do you add a new contact via the Z10 contacts, and then at some later date, say when you're cleaning up your address book, but doing so via Outlook.com, assure that the contact is also removed from the Z10 Contacts folder?
    Hmmm... I see what you mean. I actually ended up with two different contacts with the same name on my phone. One linked to outlook.com and the other linked Local. Man, that is bizarre, and not good. Contacts originating from the phone seem to get bungled up.
    02-14-13 04:52 PM
    Well, I found a work around, which is a bit cumbersome, but at least Outlook.com (and if you're using the Outlook connector, then MS Outlook) will remain in sync as you add and delete contacts, whether via the BB or via Outlook.com. Thus, when adding via the BB and to assure it syncs (wirelessly) with Outlook.com, you need to do the following:

1) Add new contact via BB add function and save
    2) Click "Links" on BB
    3) Delete "via Blackberry" link (leave Outlook.com link)
    4) Click "Yes" to "Separate Profile"
    5) Close Linked Profiles screen - 2 contacts appear in Contacts list on BB
    6) Delete 2nd duplicate contact (may need to tap twice to assure you're on the 2nd duplicate entry) - Contact will appear in Outlook.com People list

Now, the contact in the BB and Outlook.com will be the same, so in the future, if you change either one, both will sync. A bit of a work around, at least until this is remedied, assuming it ever is.

If anyone has a better solution that has been tested and works, please post.
    charliechan and b320 like this.
    02-14-13 05:34 PM
    Please, this is not a thread about using Outlook.com. It's thread about using USB sync. Appreciate all the input but if you're posting details on using Outlook.com as a conduit, please find another thread.

Thanks - R.
    WES51 likes this.
    02-14-13 06:28 PM
    Subscribing
    02-16-13 07:54 PM
    I have spent several days trying to get this worked out with not much luck. here is what I have got:
    - if you are against cloud based services, currently other than the post a few above here where you copy, export and paste into your phone that is all you have that I have seen.
    - if you are grandfathered in on active sync, it works very well for gmail and outlook. you can also pay the 5 bucks a month to get these services, I do not believe these services are going anywhere in the next 10 years, google just wanted their money from the service so they stopped giving it away for free. I will most likely be signing up for this as I need to sync outlook from my macbook and also gmail calendars. there is also an app available in BB world that allows multiple gmail calendar syncing, but you need to use active sync.
    - I have yet to look into outlook.com but from what I have read it also works quite well.
    - there are some random online syncing or software platforms but nothing that stood out for me.

a frustrating issue for us all for sure, I am hoping a direct solution is in the works. for now i am just using my phone calendar as the main one and this upcoming week if i do not find anything better I will be signing up for outlook.com or a paid google apps account to get my active sync at 50 bucks a year. if anyone has better workarounds I am all ears.
    it is a shame that blackberry is such a business phone but this important part of business has been left out during this launch. for the people that are afraid of the cloud i totally understand, but in this day and age, everyones information is available if someone really wants it. I have embraced the cloud for 2 years now and love what it does. heavy dropbox user for sure. I certainly felt the power of it when my PC laptop died in the middle of a huge event, hard drive was unrecoverable. i grabbed a new laptop and within minutes was back up and running with all of my stuff safe (so to speak).
    02-16-13 11:30 PM
    also i forgot, I did set up iCloud services on my mac and have set my Z10 with the icloud account to sync, which from what I have read works very well for calendar, contacts email etc. I will update the results as I have nothing new to sync, I guess I could do a trial and update from there - of course this will only help imac, macbook or iPad users.
    02-16-13 11:41 PM
    If I was happy syncing to the Gmail I would have got an Android phone, their ecosystem revolves around that cloud. If I was happy syncing with Outlook com I would have got a Nokia or WP
    BlackBerry don't fail me now.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:56 AM
    This bbz10 needs to hit the USA ASAP....
    02-17-13 01:02 AM
    also i forgot, I did set up iCloud services on my mac and have set my Z10 with the icloud account to sync, which from what I have read works very well for calendar, contacts email etc. I will update the results as I have nothing new to sync, I guess I could do a trial and update from there - of course this will only help imac, macbook or iPad users.
    iCloud was going to be my recommendation for you as well. Dome people have issues with calendar syncing using iCloud but it may not be a problem you experience.
    02-17-13 01:07 PM
    If I was happy syncing to the Gmail I would have got an Android phone, their ecosystem revolves around that cloud. If I was happy syncing with Outlook com I would have got a Nokia or WP
    BlackBerry don't fail me now.

Posted via CB10
    Gmail syncing *is* supported through both EAS and IMAP + CalDAV + CardDAV. Google discontinued EAS for free users, not BlackBerry. You can still sync using the latter method.
    02-17-13 01:10 PM
    Anyone know anything about a hosted Cardav solution that we could use?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 11:19 PM
    02-17-13 11:23 PM
    I came here to post the same thing. Guess I can't complain about the author of the article beating me to it.
    b320 and currentodysseys like this.
    02-17-13 11:29 PM
    IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I just got word from @BlackBerryHelp at twitter THAT THEY ARE COMMITTED to include PIM Sync in BB Link later this year! SO, there we have it. I for one will stick to that promise!

Thank you Blackberry! Below screen shot of the message.

Hope this clarifies for many of us, I for one believe BlackBerry sticking to their word on this!
    I AM A HAPPY BUNNY! Z10.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Took BlackBerry about a week to come forward with this note and that is a good thing! Thank you BB for listening and CB for the updates: Outlook contact and calendar information via USB sync coming to BlackBerry Link | CrackBerry.com . I for one am now feeling confident that this will be addressed sooner than later. For those going on about "BB will not deliver" I think that they should consider giving them some serious faith, for they have fought too great a battle and to see the huge turn and change the company is making towards its client base and its update, I belive giving them credit on their commitment is no less than logical and the right thing to do.

Thanks!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-18-13 04:43 AM
    02-18-13 05:37 AM
    Gmail syncing *is* supported through both EAS and IMAP + CalDAV + CardDAV. Google discontinued EAS for free users, not BlackBerry. You can still sync using the latter method.
    Google only discontinued EAS for free users opening new Gmail accounts after Jan 31st 2013.
    BlackBerry need there own cloud/EAS solution.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:24 AM
    I've just read all 10 pages and very happy to see a positive outcome as this feature is also important to me. That said, I found it disgusting that after OP asked a simple direct question so many thought it ok to attack any also needing this option. And Yes, I'm very serious!

I guess the last question is if this new upcoming feature will work with older versions of Outlook. I wonder how far back they will support? Outlook 2003? 2007?
    Rooster99 and WES51 like this.
    02-18-13 10:42 AM
    I've just read all 10 pages and very happy to see a positive outcome as this feature is also important to me. That said, I found it disgusting that after OP asked a simple direct question so many thought it ok to attack any also needing this option. And Yes, I'm very serious!

I guess the last question is if this new upcoming feature will work with older versions of Outlook. I wonder how far back they will support? Outlook 2003? 2007?
    I think this is a huge part of the issue. How far back do you go? How many man hours do you utilize to "try" and satisfy everyone?
    02-18-13 10:56 AM
    First, serious thanks to RIM for responding, and to Kevin and Bla1ze for advocating on our behalf. Much, much appreciated.

Second, the next question will be timing. Update to allow import only is "in a few weeks". Full sync follows in next update, with no timeline provided. I would have thought that given the uproar over this they would want it delivered for the US launch. Then again, they probably do "want" that, but the question is what can actually be delivered.

RIMs earlier history on delivering this sort of fix in a timely, bug free manner has been dismal. However, for Blackberry to even respond this quickly is new, and given all the other "new and better" things they're doing I believe they've earned the benefit of the doubt. If they actually deliver in a timely manner, it will be truly impressive and for this twice-burned skeptic (Storm and Storm 2), the piece that tells me they've truly changed.

<cue theme from Jeopardy>

- R.
    02-18-13 12:04 PM
    I think this is a huge part of the issue. How far back do you go? How many man hours do you utilize to "try" and satisfy everyone?
    Don't know. But lets not forget that their only mission in life is to satisfy as many customers as possible. The more who are satisfied directly translates into more money in their pockets. Just as its no accident that Apple has billions in cash reserves, it no accident BB found themselves in their current position. The experts there will need to determine what if anything is required to support older versions.

Anyways, I'm still happy of this news as it means some of my future money may find its way in BB's pocket.
    02-18-13 01:35 PM
305 ... 89101112 ...