Question? What DACs are in BlackBerry Q10,Q5, Z10 and Z30 and is the DAC always hardware or can it be software?

I understand the Z10 has a Qualcomm WCD9310 which is suposedly pretty run of the mill, I assume this is hardware ( a chip) so whatever media player you use the sound quality will always be limited by the DAC when using the jack output. If streaming music over bluetooth ( or usb or wifi on devices where thats possible) the DAC processing is done at the recieving device.

Above said, we've had digital media in the form of CDs for 30 years now, so any smart phone DAC probably anialates even the best audiophile DAC from the last century?

I understand Apple and some Samsung phones and interestingly the BlackBerry playbook use Wolfson chips which are very good and that Sony may make there own for devices like the nw-zx1 which are up there with wolfson. I beliieve HTC use qualcomm DAC but use a drdre replacement Android media player similar to neutron

So heres just wondering what DAC is in these phones?
    If anyone has done a teardown.
    Last edited by gg bb; 03-08-14 at 03:16 PM.
    03-08-14 02:48 PM
    Question? What DACs are in BlackBerry Q10,Q5, Z10 and Z30 and is the DAC always hardware or can it be software?

I understand the Z10 has a Qualcomm WCD9310 which is suposedly pretty run of the mill, I assume this is hardware ( a chip) so whatever media player you use the sound quality will always be limited by the DAC when using the jack output. If streaming music over bluetooth ( or usb or wifi on devices where thats possible) the DAC processing is done at the recieving device.

Above said, we've had digital media in the form of CDs for 30 years now, so any smart phone DAC probably anialates even the best audiophile DAC from the last century?

I understand Apple and some Samsung phones and interestingly the BlackBerry playbook use Wolfson chips which are very good and that Sony may make there own for devices like the nw-zx1 which are up there with wolfson. I beliieve HTC use qualcomm DAC but use a drdre replacement Android media player similar to neutron

So heres just wondering what DAC is in these phones?
    If anyone has done a teardown.
    Indeed, DACs are hardware.

Z10 - BlackBerry Z10 Teardown - iFixit
    Z30 - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...photos-885271/
    Q10 - Inside the Blackberry Q10 | Chipworks Blog
    03-10-14 04:45 PM
    GSMarena includes detailed audio tests in their reviews but even without reading it I knew my Q10 had awesome DAC and sound output.

//Some forum moderators at some forums are like communist
    03-10-14 05:25 PM