Is it possible to have whatsapp working on 2 phones with the same account? (Without using the web app).

EXAMPLE:
    If I were to buy a new phone and install WhatsApp, put in my SIM card, get the verification text etc etc.

And then put my SIM card back in my old phone....

Will whatsapp work on both phones?

Basically just do the SIM card switch to get the verification text.

Would that work?
    09-29-16 06:24 PM
    Nope. That wouldn't be possible as whatsapp would detect that you have two of the same 'number'. You'll be forced to choose which phone you want to use.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 06:30 PM
    how would it know?

Whats the difference between taking the SIM card out... and just having your mobile network off and using it on wifi?
    09-29-16 06:48 PM
    They know when you've switched devices but there's no problem or limit on how often you do it - I swap devices all the time. You just have to re-verify via SMS each time. The only disadvantage is that you won't transfer your old chats and media unless you have this backed up to Google (which I believe doesn't work on BB10). That's one reason why I switched to Telegram as you can access and continue your chats from anywhere.
    09-29-16 07:32 PM
    but I imagine telegram is a whole other instant messenger... which doesn't solve the whatsapp issue.

My situation is that basically my mom has a Q10, and is going to be out of the country for 8 weeks as of dec 28th... and she is the only one of us bb10 users who uses WhatsApp. As the family IT manager, im trying to figure out how to set her up.

So she is freaking out that on jan 1st her whatsapp will stop working, and since she is out of the country, can't actually just get a new phone.

I am trying to anticipate, or workaround ahead of time.

I've thought about sending her with a spare phone... but it needs to have her whatsapp account already set up on it, as she wont have access to getting texts when out of the country.

I'm going to put android whatsapp on her Q10... but what if that stops working... how do we remotely set up the back up phone with whatsapp if she cant do the text activator. And she cant get texts when out of the country from our home mobile network, which is the phone # attached to her whatsapp account.

this is all ridiculous, why cant the world just be normal and use BBM.
    09-29-16 07:47 PM
    In situation that on 31st december 2016 whatsapp will really stop working on BB10 phones, and you are afraid of that, why don't you buy that second android phone to your mother and also buy to her another pre-paid sim card, and activate whatsapp there and transfer all of her contacts from the first, main phone to her sim card on that secons pre-paid number, and her whatsapp will recognize every contact and she will be able to send the message to everyone.

Just inform the contacts before traveling that she has the new number or start chatting with them before traveling and they will easily recognize her later. ๐Ÿ˜‰

P. S. But to have one whatsapp account activated on two devices is not possible.

I am having on my Q5 installed skype, viber, whatsapp, BBM of course ๐Ÿ˜„, telegram and with which chat client is someone contacting me, I am replying using that chat client. I am not depending on whatsapp only.
    09-30-16 06:45 AM
    yes, I think im going to have to get her a backup android phone to travel with, just in case whatsapp android stops working on her Q10.

there doesn't seem to be any other alternatives.
    09-30-16 08:21 PM
    but I imagine telegram is a whole other instant messenger... which doesn't solve the whatsapp issue.

My situation is that basically my mom has a Q10, and is going to be out of the country for 8 weeks as of dec 28th... and she is the only one of us bb10 users who uses WhatsApp. As the family IT manager, im trying to figure out how to set her up.

So she is freaking out that on jan 1st her whatsapp will stop working, and since she is out of the country, can't actually just get a new phone.

I am trying to anticipate, or workaround ahead of time.

I've thought about sending her with a spare phone... but it needs to have her whatsapp account already set up on it, as she wont have access to getting texts when out of the country.

I'm going to put android whatsapp on her Q10... but what if that stops working... how do we remotely set up the back up phone with whatsapp if she cant do the text activator. And she cant get texts when out of the country from our home mobile network, which is the phone # attached to her whatsapp account.

this is all ridiculous, why cant the world just be normal and use BBM.
    You don't have to use SMS. If your new device hasn't got the text after 5 minutes WhatsApp will present you with a "Call me" option so you can do the verification by voice.
    10-03-16 05:14 AM