All good points Tony, but Microsoft has done an excellent job of creating software packages aka apps, in house that have put many of the independent devs out of business in the PC world. Microsoft has the pockets to do so in the mobile world. If they put together full and complete PC, tablet and Mobile integration, with the apps they already have, maybe a few more. and get the banks on board with apps, they stand a very good chance of grabbing a nice size slice of the pie.

I would have to give the Win Phone serious consideration, and I don't even like Microsoft.
    03-14-17 08:31 PM
    You'd think, but Microsoft has probably spent (read: lost) $20B or more on WinPhone and their marketshare is approaching zero. Ballmer really dropped the ball on mobile, and just like BB and others have learned, there's only a small window of opportunity, and if you miss it, it may be decades before another big one comes along - and it will almost always come in an entirely new category, not on an existing one.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-14-17 09:55 PM
    Sadly MS has been trying HARD for 3+ years and they already had their run and are back down to nothing basically
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-14-17 10:10 PM
    If someone built a consumer friendly augment-reality interface that might do it. I have a crazy idea of controlling such a device with some type of sensor that could differentiate the electrical signals going to your tongue. You could 'flick' your words like the BB keyboard lol
    03-14-17 10:30 PM
    Sadly MS has been trying HARD for 3+ years and they already had their run and are back down to nothing basically
    They have been neglectful of their mobile OS. Not trying HARD for three years.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-14-17 10:44 PM
    Its just a matter of time for win7 to be obsolete and win10 and above will fill the windows desktop OS, -thats the time the Windows app/ecosystem will further fluorish. Desktop users will want to have the same app that they have in the mobiles so developers must also do a windows version. Apple may do the same in the future (put apps in osx if they hadnt yet). Windows is the giant here in mobile just doing the waiting game.

love your curVes and all your edges all your peRfEct imPerfections
    Wezard likes this.
    03-14-17 10:53 PM
    Its just a matter of time for win7 to be obsolete and win10 and above will fill the windows desktop OS, -thats the time the Windows app/ecosystem will further fluorish. Desktop users will want to have the same app that they have in the mobiles so developers must also do a windows version. Apple may do the same in the future (put apps in osx if they hadnt yet). Windows is the giant here in mobile just doing the waiting game.
    But, see, I strongly disagree.

People who are using desktops want interfaces made for mice and keyboards and really big screens, while people using mobile devices want interfaces with much larger elements designed for touch input. And few people need the full power of a desktop in a mobile app, but they certainly want it and expect it in a desktop app. And for developers to try to make a single app that does both is really no less work than making two separate apps that are each optimized for the desired UI. Thus, there's little synergy between desktop and mobile apps. I don't see that changing in the next 5 years - but after that, MAYBE.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-15-17 01:54 AM
    There aren't that many of you. If there were, something would have changed by now.
    Just because nothing have changed in past 8 or 10 years it does not means that nothing going to change in future too.
    And most of us love to follow successful things.
    In technology change n evolution is key.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-15-17 05:42 AM
    There have been a number of alternative desktop OSs over the last 30 years, the most successful examples being OS/2 and BeOS. But despite being excellent OSs, they don't exist anymore, because developers looked and said "this is nice, but there's really nothing that it does that's significantly better than Windows or OSX,

Android and iOS are pretty secure for at least a decade - who knows what might come along in that time? - but no other "me too" platform is going to displace them. If Huawei stops making Android phones, there are dozens of other manufacturers who will happily step up and take those sales, and Huawei will simply lose marketshare - it won't make a dent in Android sales or influence.
    Problem for most Android hardware OEM's like Huawei..... looking back over the last 30 years in the PC market, not too many of those one time PC manufactures are still around. And even the ones that are, don't seem to be making much off that business. Android hardware OEM's have got to be worried about how they stay competitive and yet standout in the crowd. BlackBerry's focus on Enterprise might not be a bad niche.... if they hadn't burned too many bridges already. Timing... it's just always a little off for them.
    03-15-17 07:22 AM
    with dev power slowly diminish due to new wave of cloud based web... OS war will start all over again. Google is dev new OS https://mobile.slashdot.org/story/17...-secret-new-os
    the droid limitation is obvious.
    As for BEOS, the downfall is not lack of Dev, but the founder got heart broken because Apple selected Jobs company OS instead, even Be beat them in performance on every level... old history. (some Be still left in droid, but lack of the elegance... diluted too much from its DNA... very sad)
    03-15-17 08:12 AM
    Its just a matter of time for win7 to be obsolete and win10 and above will fill the windows desktop OS, -thats the time the Windows app/ecosystem will further fluorish. Desktop users will want to have the same app that they have in the mobiles so developers must also do a windows version.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of two separate apps, a 'lite' version for the mobile, and a full version for PC. Which ever one you are using will automatically populate the fields in the other, OTA right now, or next time you hit wifi, your choice.
    Backing up your phone would be a non issue, and with all the auto back up options for PC's you wouldn't have to worry about that either. Most of the apps, at least at first would be windows, not 3rd party, they already have a ton of them

People who are using desktops want interfaces made for mice and keyboards and really big screens, while people using mobile devices want interfaces with much larger elements designed for touch input. And few people need the full power of a desktop in a mobile app, but they certainly want it and expect it in a desktop app. And for developers to try to make a single app that does both is really no less work than making two separate apps that are each optimized for the desired UI.
    I think most people use both, especially business people, The scenario I'm suggesting would have Microsoft providing the synergy you are talking about. That alone would provide a quantum shift in technology.

They have been neglectful of their mobile OS. Not trying HARD for three years.
    We don't know what they have doing for past 3 years, except keeping Win phones on life support for some reason. I suspect there is a very good reason for doing so. Win10 looks to have been designed for the type of integration I'm talking about. Right down to now calling computer programs apps.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    03-15-17 09:31 AM
    with dev power slowly diminish due to new wave of cloud based web... OS war will start all over again. Google is dev new OS https://mobile.slashdot.org/story/17...-secret-new-os
    the droid limitation is obvious.
    As for BEOS, the downfall is not lack of Dev, but the founder got heart broken because Apple selected Jobs company OS instead, even Be beat them in performance on every level... old history. (some Be still left in droid, but lack of the elegance... diluted too much from its DNA... very sad)
    There are better stories out there on what Google may be doing with Fuchsia.... but the simple truth it is an experimental OS that Google isn't saying much about. But most expect it to be an IoT OS - might give QNX a run for their money. Most expects that have run early version of Fuchsia, don't believe the stories of it being a replacement of either Android or Chrome OS.
    03-15-17 01:23 PM
    I think any change.. will be a major change to a new technology, not just a different OS that does basically the same things as existing mature technologies.
    Agreed. Despite different OSs, they all roughly provide the same functions for users. Something new and exciting will have to come out that we haven't seen before.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and stlabrat like this.
    03-15-17 01:34 PM
    I'm thinking more along the lines of two separate apps, a 'lite' version for the mobile, and a full version for PC. Which ever one you are using will automatically populate the fields in the other, OTA right now, or next time you hit wifi, your choice.
    Backing up your phone would be a non issue, and with all the auto back up options for PC's you wouldn't have to worry about that either. Most of the apps, at least at first would be windows, not 3rd party, they already have a ton of them
    We've already had exactly this for years for any app it would make sense to have it - what is MS going to bring to the table that's any different? Making two separate apps is what happens already, so no synergy there, and with cloud-based apps and data, everything is already available on both desktop and mobile instantly and automatically.
    03-15-17 07:34 PM
    But, see, I strongly disagree.

People who are using desktops want interfaces made for mice and keyboards and really big screens, while people using mobile devices want interfaces with much larger elements designed for touch input. And few people need the full power of a desktop in a mobile app, but they certainly want it and expect it in a desktop app. And for developers to try to make a single app that does both is really no less work than making two separate apps that are each optimized for the desired UI. Thus, there's little synergy between desktop and mobile apps. I don't see that changing in the next 5 years - but after that, MAYBE.
    8.1 struck a nice balance and works great on a small screen. Microsoft overreacted by killing it on tablets.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-17 08:59 PM
    Win10 is lenient to legacy windows programs but once, lets say win11 comes out, they may not be as so. Windows got us on our balls and market has no choice but to upgrade, and programmers to update their applications to comply with the new windows . Some desktop applications are already having their ms app version , simply because of the sheer number of windows users (I frequently use the VLC app even). If I am an app developer, would I just concentrate on android and ios when I know the ms store is available on all windows desktop? I see facebook and messenger app being updated weekly. Time is windows friend right now.

03-15-17 10:13 PM
    Win10 is lenient to legacy windows programs but once, lets say win11 comes out, they may not be as so. Windows got us on our balls and market has no choice but to upgrade, and programmers to update their applications to comply with the new windows . Some desktop applications are already having their ms app version , simply because of the sheer number of windows users (I frequently use the VLC app even). If I am an app developer, would I just concentrate on android and ios when I know the ms store is available on all windows desktop? I see facebook and messenger app being updated weekly. Time is windows friend right now.

First windows 10 mobile is suppose to the last windows for normal user platform. No more great update is to come only small corrections. They have a brilliant upgrade program that is base on user comments.
    Secondly the apps that are in windows store aren't the same than those available in the mobile one.

Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile are differents.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-17 10:49 PM
    First windows 10 mobile is suppose to the last windows for normal user platform. No more great update is to come only small corrections. They have a brilliant upgrade program that is base on user comments.
    Secondly the apps that are in windows store aren't the same than those available in the mobile one.

Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile are differents.

Posted via CB10
    1. Ok maybe I shouldn't have used win11 or 12 as they clearly state there wont be any. I meant the next windows iteration.
    2. Apps on the store is compatible with desktop(10) AND mobile(10). How can you say they're different?

elfabio80 likes this.
    03-16-17 10:08 PM
    2. Apps on the store is compatible with desktop(10) AND mobile(10). How can you say they're different?
    Because some apps are not available for both OS.

A better explanation here:

http://m.windowscentral.com/what-is-...rsal-app-win10

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Fs Laflamme; 03-17-17 at 01:48 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-17-17 12:48 AM
    Because some apps are not available for both OS.

A better explanation here:

http://m.windowscentral.com/what-is-...rsal-app-win10

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft is trying to slowly phase out win32 applications and are pushing the universal ones pretty aggressively.
    03-17-17 08:44 AM
    Microsoft is trying to slowly phase out win32 applications and are pushing the universal ones pretty aggressively.
    Yeap! But it isn't done yet!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 10:29 AM
    They can all make devices with bb10!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 11:25 AM
    Sony Xperia X can run Sailfish OS and Jolla+Sony planning to bring Sailfish OS image in June end so Xperia X phone can be flashed.
    Tizen what i think that Samsung at this point is not ready to gamble thus holding back to Tizen upon 3rd rate phones.
    Until the Chipmakers and Google are comfortably promoting each other there is no end of Android.
    Still the world deserves at least one mobile OS other than iOS & Android.
    I'm looking for a viable alternative to the KEYone and Android. Based on the current Sailfish OS and Sony's open devices program, does a Jolla+Xperia X combo have a chance of succeeding? No doubt I'd love to see a BB10-webOS like device, but can it survive with what I've read is a Android RT of only 4.4.1 Kit Kat?

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    05-12-17 02:50 PM
    I read in a magazine that Huawei going to develop is own OS.

Tired of the experience Android, updates rules to much, they plan to replace it in less than 3 years. And Huawei is only the first. Samsung have keep Tizen for the same reason too.

What is it mean? Maybe the android golden age is near the end? The things could be less easy in future.

Posted via CB10
    Did you hear / Have you heard
    05-13-17 12:47 PM
    Android! Android! The virus in the mobile space.

Posted via CB10
    world is heavily infected!!!

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-13-17 01:10 PM
51 123