I thought my bluetooth earpiece was causing this, but it appears not. When I dictate text in an email or something else it beeps once to tell me to start talking but then beeps a second time to tell me it's finished listening.

Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas? (I know it's a discontinued OS, 3G is ending and that death will soon take us all. My question does not pertain to that, thanks.)

Posted via CB10
    05-03-21 11:35 AM
    I thought my bluetooth earpiece was causing this, but it appears not. When I dictate text in an email or something else it beeps once to tell me to start talking but then beeps a second time to tell me it's finished listening.

Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas? (I know it's a discontinued OS, 3G is ending and that death will soon take us all. My question does not pertain to that, thanks.)

Posted via CB10
    When was the last time you had this working?
    05-03-21 11:54 AM
    Has it been working for you?

I know there was some trick about changing the BlackBerry Assistants language, close the app and change it back and that would get it working again. But when the killed off some the the Assistants "smarts"... it just quite working right for me. And was never as accurate as more advanced dictation assistants.
    05-03-21 11:59 AM
    I have a couple three ideas but they’re all related to:

It's a discontinued OS and death will take us all.
    Posted via CB10
    05-03-21 12:02 PM
    When was the last time you had this working?
    Maybe 2-4 months ago. The dictation function worked great for me. It was very accurate. Google's Android version was pathetic next to BB10. I couldn't believe it's suggestions. Rap stars' name instead of the words their names played off of.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-21 04:19 PM
    Maybe 2-4 months ago. The dictation function worked great for me. It was very accurate. Google's Android version was pathetic next to BB10. I couldn't believe it's suggestions. Rap stars' name instead of the words their names played off of.

Posted via CB10
    You sure about that 2-4 months?

Mine flat out doesn't work, and I don't believe it has since they shut down the assistant servers a couple of years back.
    05-03-21 05:07 PM

Mine flat out doesn't work, and I don't believe it has since they shut down the assistant servers a couple of years back.
    I am sure I've used dictation within 2 years. Calendar entries and Internet searches by voice, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-21 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thing is it wasn't BlackBerry's... which is why the legal stuff explained 3rd parties would have access to your voice recordings, contacts, location services - which got some all in a tizzy back in the day. I know to answer questions it used services from Wolfram Alpha. But not sure if the dictation features used the same data sources or if that was another solution. In the end BlackBerry didn't have the means of competing with Apple, Android and MS. So they outsourced a lot of BB10's inner workings.

Just know it didn't work well after the shutdown... years ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-04-21 07:31 AM

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? How is it failing?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-21 08:59 AM
    When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? How is it failing?

Posted via CB10
    "Unable to begin voice dictation. Please try again."
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-04-21 12:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Have you tried switching to the internal voice to text
    05-05-21 02:49 AM
    Have you tried switching to the internal voice to text
    How do you do that? Never done that.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-21 03:21 AM
    How do you do that? Never done that.

Posted via CB10
    Oops I have Key2 and not BB10.
    Main settings cogwheel in dropdown menu
    Scroll down to system
    Languages and Input
    Keyboard settings
    Google Voice second should show itself on the screen if not select the managed choice and add Google Voice.
    If Google Voice shows then you will need to go to the BlackBerry keyboard settings.

Advanced. Scroll down to bottom enable built-in voice command.

Restart.

Repeat the procedure and disable built-in voice command.
    That should do the trick
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 05-05-21 at 07:25 AM.
    05-05-21 03:31 AM
    Main settings cogwheel in dropdown menu
    Scroll down to system
    Languages and Input
    Keyboard settings
    Google Voice second should show itself on the screen if not select the managed choice and add Google Voice.
    If Google Voice shows then you will need to go to the BlackBerry keyboard settings.

Advanced. Scroll down to bottom enable built-in voice command.

Restart.

Repeat the procedure and disable built-in voice command.
    That should do the trick
    This thread is about BB10.
    05-05-21 05:10 AM