Good evening everybody,

I would need some education regarding the Email client on my Passport, please. I set up one Email POP3 account, nothing special. I'm receiving my mails no problems. Usually in the evening when I get home I download my daily Emails via Outlook. Now comes the funny part where I'm lost. On my 9900, I had the mails on the phone, and they stayed there, to be kept or to be deleted. On the Passport, the mails disappear a few hours after I downloaded them to my PC. Sounds like IMAP, but I'm positive everything's POP3.

Also, I cannot file any mails on the Passport. The button is there, and it asks me for a folder, but then nothing else happens.

Current OS is 10.3.1.1016. Same behavior also on the previous 10.3.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 11:52 AM
    POP does not have the capability to do anything else than downloading and deleting.

There are no support for folders.

If the POP client supports it, a mail can be downloaded and only deleted when you delete it on the client.

POP is a very simple client and I never recommend it. If IMAP is supported use that instead as it is built to have things in sync as well as support for folders and moving emails.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:19 PM
    Thank you very much for trying to help. Either I don't understand your answer, or I didn't make myself clear to begin with.

1. My POP3 client on my Passport downloads messages from the server. The messages stay on that server.

2. Later I download those same messages to my PC, and they get deleted from the server.

3. About six or seven hours later the Passport client becomes aware that the messages it downloaded a while ago are no longer on the server, and deletes those messages also on the Passport. I believe this behavior is unexpected, as I have not experienced it before with my other Blackberrys.

(Unlike the older Blackberrys, the Passport no longer has the option to choose between leaving messages on the server or not. Maybe this explains what's happening?)

Again, thanks a lot.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:51 PM
    Pls double check your account settings on your Passport.

If the mail server supports IMAP and you've used automatic setup/discovery it should be an IMAP4 account.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:38 PM
    Thank you very much for trying to help. Either I don't understand your answer, or I didn't make myself clear to begin with.

1. My POP3 client on my Passport downloads messages from the server. The messages stay on that server.

2. Later I download those same messages to my PC, and they get deleted from the server.

3. About six or seven hours later the Passport client becomes aware that the messages it downloaded a while ago are no longer on the server, and deletes those messages also on the Passport. I believe this behavior is unexpected, as I have not experienced it before with my other Blackberrys.

(Unlike the older Blackberrys, the Passport no longer has the option to choose between leaving messages on the server or not. Maybe this explains what's happening?)

Again, thanks a lot.

Posted via CB10
    Check the settings on PC. Make sure you have selected the leave a copy on the server option.

"Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Special Security)
    11-02-14 01:55 PM
    Check the settings on PC. Make sure you have selected the leave a copy on the server option.

"Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Special Security)

As far as I understand he is well aware of the emails being removed/deleted on the server but is surprised to see them dissappear from his Passport some hours later.

IMHO this can only be done if the Passport is configured to use IMAP.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 02:00 PM
    Indeed. Since I don't see how I could identify the type of the account, I deleted it and newly set it up. Will report back.

Meanwhile thanks a lot ya'll!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 03:02 PM
    This went quicker than I thought. Deleted the old account and set up a new one in order to make sure it's POP.

Received 2 mails half an hour ago on the Passport, downloaded them on the PC afterwards so they were gone from the server, and just now went back to check the hub only to see them disappear.

So, I guess the issue isn't solved. My POP mail account behaves as if it were IMAP (minus the other IMAP goodies like being able to file messages, etc.)

Anybody with a new idea? Thanks a lot!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 04:01 PM
    Just took at look at the RFC for POP3.

There are only a very simple set of commands available so in order for a POP client to sync deletions on the server, it must

1. Be aware that it's leaving a copy behind on the server and maintain a list of Message ID's (part of the email header). The list is used to check if a message is deleted on the server side later.
    2. Use a combination of the LIST, TOP and RETR commands. LIST will give you a list of all emails. It's very simple and consists of email number starting with 1 and size of each email. TOP can retrive a part of the email which is usefull if you need to examine the header to see if you can recognize the message ID. RETR is used to retrieve the full email.
    3. When the TOP command is used to retrieve the header, the corresponding Message ID can be extraced. Comparing the list from #1 with the Message ID's currently on the mailserver, it can identify which emails is not found on the server and delete the corresponding email on the device.

The above is my only (qualified) guess of how it can be implemented via POP3.
    I is possible to verify this by setting up some network sniffing and monitor the POP3 commands but I will leave that up to somebody else, as I personally hate POP3 as it is a very simple and not very usefull protocol IMHO, so I try to avoid it.
    11-03-14 02:34 AM
    Thanks a lot for those explanations man.

So it seems that the POP3 email client of OS 10.3.1 (and 10.3.0) is configured that way that we need to be aware messages will be deleted on the device once they're no longer present on the server. Highly unfortunate we no longer have the option of leaving messages on the server (as we did with 7.1).

Again, thanks for shedding some light on the issue!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 04:23 AM
    You are welcome.

Let me emphasize that it a possible explanation that only can be proved by either a statement from BlackBerry or by monitoring the POP3 traffic.

You are actually leaving the messages on the server, but the "new" feature seems to be synchronization of emails deleted on the server.
    11-03-14 08:07 AM
    I have exactly the same Problem with my Passport on 10.3.0.908.

If I receive mails on the passport and open mail later on my mac to receive them in mac mail, than a few hours later they disappear from the Passport.

It seems, pop3 in 10.3.0 really works like imap. I think, this must be a bug in the firmware of the Passport.

On my Q10 with 10.2.2.984 the same pop3 account works as ist should. With no issues. Mac mail delete the mails from pop server after receiving them with no effect to the mails on the Q10. The mail account configuration on both devices is exactly the same.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:11 AM