I have a Verizon Q10 with their latest OS. Last night, I was getting notifications that my device storage was almost full. I thought that was odd since I hadn't downloaded anything new or changed any settings. Last time something like this had happened to me, it was from the Amazon app running in the background and continually downloading app updates in a non-stop loop that never finalized. I checked Ghost Commander, and both Amazon AppStore and Underground were closed and not running in the background. I did a few soft and hard resets, and initially, the device storage was at the number it should be every time, but then it would fill up again. Oddly, I then got a notification that Amazon had 3 app updates for me.

So this morning, I thought I would try to update those Amazon apps to see if it would stop the problem (even though in the past force closing the Amazon stores stopped the problem but they were closed already in this case). One of the updates was actually for Underground, so I tried to update it. But, my memory kept filling up too fast, and the Amazon AppStore would just crash without finishing. So, I did a hard reset, and to my surprise, all of my folders were gone (which I had down to one screen), and all the app icons were out on their own over 9 different screens.

Device storage filling and icons have all left their folders-img_20160129_065936.pngDevice storage filling and icons have all left their folders-img_20160129_074524.png

When I hook up the phone to my computer in the hopes of using it as a USB to get the above pictures, I cannot access the phone memory but only the SD card (I had to copy and paste the screen captured images above from the phone to the card in file manager). I am guessing I have no choice but to wipe the phone and reload the OS, but this is one of the weirdest things that has ever happened to me with the phone. I am assuming the backup will have all app data as well? And just to verify, what is the best method to do this? I was just going to use BlackBerry Link which I have used to backup my phone in the past.
    01-29-16 08:16 AM
    Update:

I restored my device to a backup from December. All seems well. I decided I am done with Amazon and Android apps. So, as others have suggested, I setup Parental Controls so I could turn off all Amazon apps. However, if I do that, my entire problem returns--all folders are gone with app icons on several screens. If I turn Controls off, things go back to normal.

What is going on?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 01:55 PM
    Not too sure what is going on in your case, but I'll tell you my story with Amazon Underground. I have a z10 and when Amazon changed their store from Free app of the day to their Underground state, I went along with the change and immediately had problems with freezing, device becoming hot, activity in the background constantly etc. So, I ended up re-installing my OS with an autoloader and starting over fresh. When the nag screen asked me again to update my Amazon App Store, I refused it and just kept the old version without Underground. I have never had a problem with the Amazon App Store since, but I do get that nag screen when I open the store up (not all the time though). I can download and install apps from the appstore without any problems now. Moral of the story----refuse Underground.
    01-29-16 02:07 PM
    Thanks. Interestingly, the Underground icon is gone but should have been in the restored backup.

EDIT: And despite having the icon for Amazon AppStore, this app doesn't even show up in Ghost Commander now. So weird.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 01-29-16 at 03:56 PM.
    01-29-16 02:18 PM
    Having parental controls enabled puts your settings on hold and gives you a new homescreen layout.
    01-30-16 12:25 AM
    Having parental controls enabled puts your settings on hold and gives you a new homescreen layout.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. But, I had gotten that layout previously without turning them on as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-16 06:07 AM
    Never use amazon app store or whatever it's called.

Use snap v2 for simplicity. Or do the Google play store method if you like complication in your life.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-16 06:11 AM
    Never use amazon app store or whatever it's called.

Use snap v2 for simplicity. Or do the Google play store method if you like complication in your life.

Posted via CB10
    The point was I had not been using it at all. I gave up on Android apps a while ago. They don't work right and drain the battery significantly because they don't close properly on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-16 06:50 AM
    And so it begins again. Have used nothing but app and text messaging tonight, and my memory is filling up. I am so sick of this problem.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-16 10:00 PM
    And so it begins again. Have used nothing but app and text messaging tonight, and my memory is filling up. I am so sick of this problem.

Posted via CB10
    Check this thread and see if any of the suggestions work. The OP never replied so it's difficult to assess whether you may or may not get anywhere, but it sounds like it's nearly identical if not actually the same thing.

Also, are you having the same problem again?
    01-30-16 10:10 PM
    Check this thread and see if any of the suggestions work. The OP never replied so it's difficult to assess whether you may or may not get anywhere, but it sounds like it's nearly identical if not actually the same thing.

Also, are you having the same problem again?
    I'll take a look at the thread. I am not sure what it is, but I actually don't think it is an Android app or Amazon. Since the reload, the Amazon AppStore won't open, Underground has disappeared, and the few Android apps I have tried to open won't work because they cannot access the AppStore.

The only other thing that is different is that I started using BBM.

Edit: I can never get the phone to load up if I hold down the top button. It just cycles between the BlackBerry splashscreen and black without ever getting to the load screen. After I did try this and finally let go to allow it to boot up, I had to input my BlackBerry ID again which is odd.

So, if one wipes and reloads the OS, should you then restore a backup or just start from scratch? Does that load up any of the OS or purely just apps, data, connections, Hub content, etc.?
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 01-31-16 at 07:06 AM.
    01-31-16 05:25 AM
    I have determined it was an open BBM conversation. I find this absolutely ridiculous if this remains to be the problem. I posted in BBM too to see if others have this issue. Thanks a lot BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    01-31-16 10:30 AM
    So, if one wipes and reloads the OS, should you then restore a backup or just start from scratch? Does that load up any of the OS or purely just apps, data, connections, Hub content, etc.?
    Posted via CB10
    You'll need to determine which is the lesser of the two evils: setting up your device from scratch, or doing custom restores leaving out bits and pieces until you find the cause of the problem. Unfortunately, to me it sounds as though your issue is in Settings, and that doesn't have granular restoring options. It's Settings or nothing.
    01-31-16 04:25 PM
    You could also purchase a good backup app such as Ultimate Backup (in BBW) and do a complete backup of your device on a sd card then re-do your device with an autoloader and then SELECTIVELY restoring data using that backup. Just restore one thing at a time and go slowly. You will, however have to re-install all of your apps. I think you have to bite the bullet and do a total clean install with only careful reinstalling of data, settings etc. Good luck!
    01-31-16 04:35 PM
    So far, so good still now that I ended the BBM chat. I will see how it goes the next few days.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-16 05:04 PM
    Well, the problem has returned. It sounds like I have no choice but to do a wipe and clean install. Not that I am a big gamer, but I am assuming there is no way to save game progress on the few I have been playing over the years?

Also, I was going to use Link. I know that when you hook your BlackBerry up via USB, Link will automatically sync pictures, videos, documents,etc. If I do this, then wipe and reinstall, will it re-sync and put all those things back on my phone?

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 06:15 AM
    Well, the problem has returned. It sounds like I have no choice but to do a wipe and clean install. Not that I am a big gamer, but I am assuming there is no way to save game progress on the few I have been playing over the years?

Also, I was going to use Link. I know that when you hook your BlackBerry up via USB, Link will automatically sync pictures, videos, documents,etc. If I do this, then wipe and reinstall, will it re-sync and put all those things back on my phone?

Posted via CB10
    Game progress should be backed up either per app wherein it'll have its own selection in your backup/restore file or if it's an android game it may or may not get backed up with Android data. There's also some games that have their own cloud backup. You can backup and/or restore just that data by doing a full backup and restoring just that data or doing a selective backup.
    02-02-16 09:08 AM
    Game progress should be backed up either per app wherein it'll have its own selection in your backup/restore file or if it's an android game it may or may not get backed up with Android data. There's also some games that have their own cloud backup. You can backup and/or restore just that data by doing a full backup and restoring just that data or doing a selective backup.
    Can you do a selective restore with Link? I see how the backup can be done.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 08:10 AM
    Can you do a selective restore with Link? I see how the backup can be done.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it's in the same spot as selective backup but you won't see it until you get ready to restore.
    02-03-16 09:55 AM
    Yes, it's in the same spot as selective backup but you won't see it until you get ready to restore.
    So I could pick and choose which apps to restore from by previous backup that was the full system?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 10:08 AM
    So I could pick and choose which apps to restore from by previous backup that was the full system?

Posted via CB10

Correct.
    02-03-16 10:11 AM
    Correct.
    Thanks, just checked it out. How long does a wipe and factory restore typically take?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 12:00 PM
    Thanks, just checked it out. How long does a wipe and factory restore typically take?

Posted via CB10
    Usually about 40 to 50 minutes in my experiences.

What we got here is failure to communicate....
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-03-16 12:05 PM
    So I did the wipe a few days ago. I only restored a few apps and downloaded the rest. So far, so good. Only issue is that my battery is being used up faster, so I probably have to wait for it to settle down a few more days.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 02:15 PM
    Question, can I delete the android apps from my download folder once their are installed? I note that all the prior versions are still there in the download folder, some going back a year.

Passport running on 10.3.2. 2876
    02-06-16 07:53 PM
45 12