Today I swapped the sim card in my BlackBerry Q10 and was VERY surprised to see that I was able to use the device straight from the onset, with access to EVERYTHING on the phone. My emails worked straight, my twitter account... everything carried on as normal. Even BBM!

Now, BlackBerry devices of past did not allow this. The minute you swap the sim, you were presented with a prompt for the BlackBerry ID and often the device was even wiped or information from the previous sim card becoming unusable with the new sim.

I'm currently running leaked 10.2.1.1055 and do hope that this "security flaw" / compromise is addressed in the official version.

However, I may have just missed communication from BlackBerry where it was discussed that this is a feature that they have gone away with!

Just thought I'd place it out there for the masses.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 (Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055)
    11-19-13 01:17 PM
    when BB10 device is first used you put your ID in and the device is associated with your ID, or after new OS is installed. You can skip this step when setting up but to use BBM and so forth I believe you must first input ID. Only about 90% sure so no one jump my but, k.
    11-19-13 01:27 PM
    Today I swapped the sim card in my BlackBerry Q10 and was VERY surprised to see that I was able to use the device straight from the onset, with access to EVERYTHING on the phone. My emails worked straight, my twitter account... everything carried on as normal. Even BBM!

Now, BlackBerry devices of past did not allow this. The minute you swap the sim, you were presented with a prompt for the BlackBerry ID and often the device was even wiped or information from the previous sim card becoming unusable with the new sim.

I'm currently running leaked 10.2.1.1055 and do hope that this "security flaw" / compromise is addressed in the official version.

However, I may have just missed communication from BlackBerry where it was discussed that this is a feature that they have gone away with!

Just thought I'd place it out there for the masses.

By swiped you mean different service sim? Same service different sim only?
    11-19-13 01:30 PM
    If your phone is secured; password protected in some way this would not happen...

I fail to see how it is a flaw. If someone has taken your phone, the least of the problems is switching the sim....if it doesn't have any password protection
    00stryder likes this.
    11-19-13 01:31 PM
    If your phone is secured; password protected in some way this would not happen...

I fail to see how it is a flaw. If someone has taken your phone, the least of the problems is switching the sim....if it doesn't have any password protection
    Yes, this is by design.. so you can use Sims from different carriers in different areas / countries... I am not sure how this used to work in Bbos, but I think it was the same way.

Bottom line.. password protect your device.. that is what this protection is for...

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    11-19-13 01:34 PM
    when BB10 device is first used you put your ID in and the device is associated with your ID, or after new OS is installed. You can skip this step when setting up but to use BBM and so forth I believe you must first input ID. Only about 90% sure so no one jump my but, k.
    I understand what you are saying... but, locking / associating your device and ID is not that secure in OS10.

If you have access to / have used a BlackBerry device of past, try swapping the sim card and see what happens. Then you will full understand what I mean.

It's just that you are not given that option anymore. Infact, aside from my number being shown as different on the home screen and a device having pulled down a network specific app, one would think that it's the same sim... Business as usual!

11-19-13 01:34 PM
    Horrible thread.
    Lock your phone.
    vrud and wolfee48 like this.
    11-19-13 01:39 PM
    At least on the z10 and q10...you need to remove the battery and switch sim...then the user would need to put there password in after the reboot....seems secure to me.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and FairlightRacing like this.
    11-19-13 01:40 PM
    By swiped you mean different service sim? Same service different sim only?
    Different sim.

I changed sim from o2 to EE..

But, the network provider is irrelevant... what matters is that the sim swapped! As said, if you have used a BlackBerry of past, you will understand.

A password protected device is a way of protecting the device yes... but even if it's not password protected, BlackBerry of past offered the ability to also secure your data by way of. wipping your device should it. Detect a new / different sim.

11-19-13 01:40 PM
    Horrible thread.
    Lock your phone.
    Why is it horrible?

I raise a question that you may not have an input on and it's automatically horrible! Thanks for your input, but please let's keep it relevant to this "horrible thread". Thanks.

11-19-13 01:42 PM
    User Error
    You should Password protect the phone.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    11-19-13 02:26 PM
    I think this question is better answered by users of previous BlackBerry devices (pre OS10).

It can not be a user error when I did not pose a problem "I" am having... I rather posted an observational comment and listed possible scenarios and comparrisons, after having been (and still being) a user of pre OS10 BlackBerry devices.

11-19-13 02:44 PM
    Guys, I don't think it's really much of a discussion if we just dismiss the OP's concern. I appreciate those of you that took the time to explain the difference in implementation.

OP, I get what you're saying, and this is certainly a legitimate concern for a new BB10 user coming from BBOS. For a legacy device user, the BBID prompt added an additional layer of security on top of the device password. That being said, its absence on BB10 doesn't necessarily leave the platform with a glaring security flaw At present, the best thing you can do for any phone is password-protect it.

I don't know what the Q5 or Z30 do once the sim card is removed, but it is almost impossible to remove the sim card from the Z10 or Q10 without removing the battery and thus turning on the device. Once that happens, the thief would still have to get past the device password, which will wipe the device after 10 unsuccessful attempts.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 11-19-13 at 04:10 PM.
    southlander and moyah8 like this.
    11-19-13 02:45 PM
    Why is it horrible?

I raise a question that you may not have an input on and it's automatically horrible! Thanks for your input, but please let's keep it relevant to this "horrible thread". Thanks.
    Because you make it sound like there is a security flaw in BB10, where there is not.

Yes, I have used BBOS previously. I know what it is you refer to. It was an additional feature.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 03:21 PM
    I think this question is better answered by users of previous BlackBerry devices (pre OS10).

It can not be a user error when I did not pose a problem "I" am having... I rather posted an observational comment and listed possible scenarios and comparrisons, after having been (and still being) a user of pre OS10 BlackBerry devices.

The reason you saw the behaviour on past BlackBerry phones is due to BIS. There is not just a per device association with BIS, it is a per device - per carrier association. Remember each carrier had a username@carrier.blackberry.net email address, and its own BIS management microsite. One of the reasons I'm glad BIS is gone. In the past when I traveled if I wanted to do what my Android and iPhone toting co-workers did and use a local SIM I would loose access to my email BBM and most ofther services unless you could get a local, contract free BlackBerry plan. Now I swap and go. Don't se what your issues is. As others have said lock the phone.
    11-19-13 05:39 PM
    The reason you saw the behaviour on past BlackBerry phones is due to BIS. There is not just a per device association with BIS, it is a per device - per carrier association. Remember each carrier had a username@carrier.blackberry.net email address, and its own BIS management microsite. One of the reasons I'm glad BIS is gone. In the past when I traveled if I wanted to do what my Android and iPhone toting co-workers did and use a local SIM I would loose access to my email BBM and most ofther services unless you could get a local, contract free BlackBerry plan. Now I swap and go. Don't se what your issues is. As others have said lock the phone.
    This offers explanation that is takes into consideration the absence of BIS. I believe that may have been the reason why it did what it did in the past OS.

I'm also glad that it's no longer there. I love the swop and go. I just was curious as to why it wasn't there.

Why does all post makes mention to me having an issue? I do not have an issue.. I do lock my phone, with the device password and also the sim password, so that was never a "issue".... as said, I just made an observational comment. I totally LOVE my Q10 and have been using BlackBerry devices for over 8 years.

Thanks you.

00stryder likes this.
    11-20-13 12:24 AM
    Because you make it sound like there is a security flaw in BB10, where there is not.

Yes, I have used BBOS previously. I know what it is you refer to. It was an additional feature.

Posted via CB10
    I never outrightly said that there is a security flaw in BB10. I specifically used the forward slash ("/") which means OR. I even placed security flaw if quotation marks, to suggest that they are my words. Thus meaning that it's a hypothetical thinking. I was curious as to why a feature was no longer available, so I questioned it and made a "guess" as to what it may be. I never outright said it was.

And if you have used BBOS before, why did you not make a contribution to the thread which had more value, as opposed to a childish one?

Take note of the last line that I made in my OP and you will better understand where I was coming from.

In close, I've always placed my questions in the "Leaked OS" area as I am always dabbling in leaked software, and I always seem to get a more positive, if not, engaging sort of response. Now I place a question outside of those realms and I get bashed on!

Come on people, I'm a BlackBerry fan as most of you are, we are all here to learn and teach. None productive comments just serve to.... well, just does nothing of value to the "community".

11-20-13 12:33 AM
    User Error
    You should Password protect the phone.
    You do realise for their to be a "user error" there must first be a identifiable error being experienced by the user and as such seeking assistance.

Where is the "user error"?

11-20-13 12:36 AM
    yes, set a phone lock.
    11-20-13 12:45 AM
    It is user responsibility to set up the password or not. Whether they want to be protected or not.
    OP must understand that there are user with 2 sims or more. Then what will happen if they switch their sims? Wipe it every time they switch? If you didn't set up your password then what should the device prompt when you switch sim? If u did setting up the password then the phone will prompt for it once you reboot because u need to pull out the battery if you want to change your sim. Unless you are able to do it without having to remove the battery?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 12:55 AM
    This offers explanation that is takes into consideration the absence of BIS. I believe that may have been the reason why it did what it did in the past OS.

I'm also glad that it's no longer there. I love the swop and go. I just was curious as to why it wasn't there.

Why does all post makes mention to me having an issue? I do not have an issue.. I do lock my phone, with the device password and also the sim password, so that was never a "issue".... as said, I just made an observational comment. I totally LOVE my Q10 and have been using BlackBerry devices for over 8 years.

Thanks you.

You have to excuse some of the members here at crackberry.

I believe the bis explanation is the right one.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    00stryder and moyah8 like this.
    11-20-13 12:56 AM
    Different sim.

I changed sim from o2 to EE..

But, the network provider is irrelevant... what matters is that the sim swapped! As said, if you have used a BlackBerry of past, you will understand.

A password protected device is a way of protecting the device yes... but even if it's not password protected, BlackBerry of past offered the ability to also secure your data by way of. wipping your device should it. Detect a new / different sim.

I have that's why I asked, because in bbos if you swaped the sim for a new one with the same service it wouldn't wipe.

Bottom line, password protect
    moyah8 likes this.
    11-20-13 01:05 AM
    It is user responsibility to set up the password or not. Whether they want to be protected or not.
    OP must understand that there are user with 2 sims or more. Then what will happen if they switch their sims? Wipe it every time they switch?
    Posted via CB10
    That is my point... this is what happened with BlackBerry devices of past. So I was curious as to whether this feature will be reimplemented or not.
    11-20-13 03:53 AM