EDIT:

There is now a donation page found here to make this a reality. If you can, please donate. Every dollar counts!

ORIGINAL POST::

For those who've never tried it, DianBao for Telegram is easily the prettiest and most functional native Telegram app ever designed for BB10. Seriously—if you've never tried it, take a couple minutes to download and play around with it… it's gorgeous.

All the others have become aged and lost function (for example, all the others don't support personalised stickies, so all you see is a 'feature not supported' message when someone sends you one), but this app has stood the test of time.

That said, there is one missing feature and two bugs keeping the app from perfection: 1. Missing feature--it doesn't support responding to messages directly from the Hub (though it does support notifications; you just have to open the app itself) 2. Bug--when you long-press on the text entry field (to copy/paste text), it force crashes 3. Bug--recording audio messages 'skips' every few seconds, rending your speech incomprehensible.

I've long since moved on to WhatsApp because of these shortcomings, but considering that 1) this app is even more functional and beautiful, and 2) WhatsApp is going away for BB10 in June, I recently contacted the developer about the status of the app. He has agreed to address all of these concerns for 200 USD.

Having Telegram on BB10, for me, is so important because it would extend my Z30's life another year or two; once WhatsApp is gone, and Telegram isn't Hub-integrated, BB10 will be officially dead for me. Having Telegram functional, however, would mean it's worth sticking around rather than switching to my Priv as the daily driver.

For these reasons I'm inclined to accept the dev's offer, but it's a bit steep of a price tag for me to accept on my own. My question is, are any other BB10 and Telegram users out there interested in funding this? I'm down with spending 50 USD on it, so I'd only need to raise 150 USD more.

I've x-posted in r/BlackBerry and tweeted at Bla1ze. If anyone thinks of other means of fundraising, I'd be happy to hear your suggestions. I'm down for creating a kickstarter, though it'd be ideal to just send the money to the dev directly, since kickstarter takes a cut. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by thejackson5; 03-25-17 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added link
    03-24-17 02:01 PM
    Maybe do a gofundme.....
    03-24-17 02:09 PM
    It was my understanding that none of the Telegram apps for BB10 were capable of sending private chats. Which is supposed to be The Point of these such an app. Unless that were implemented I I really could not care less.

Posted via CB10
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    03-24-17 02:45 PM
    I am interested. But I think the app is way to small on the passport, maybe he can also fix that?

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 03:50 PM
    What telephone you are using? On the passport the app is to small (need 300 or 400%)

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 03:51 PM
    For those who've never tried it, DianBao for Telegram is easily the prettiest and most functional native Telegram app ever designed for BB10. Seriously—if you've never tried it, take a couple minutes to download and play around with it… it's gorgeous.

All the others have become aged and lost function (for example, all the others don't support personalised stickies, so all you see is a 'feature not supported' message when someone sends you one), but this app has stood the test of time.

That said, there is one missing feature and two bugs keeping the app from perfection: 1. Missing feature--it doesn't support responding to messages directly from the Hub (though it does support notifications; you just have to open the app itself) 2. Bug--when you long-press on the text entry field (to copy/paste text), it force crashes 3. Bug--recording audio messages 'skips' every few seconds, rending your speech incomprehensible.

I've long since moved on to WhatsApp because of these shortcomings, but considering that 1) this app is even more functional and beautiful, and 2) WhatsApp is going away for BB10 in June, I recently contacted the developer about the status of the app. He has agreed to address all of these concerns for 200 USD.

Having Telegram on BB10, for me, is so important because it would extend my Z30's life another year or two; once WhatsApp is gone, and Telegram isn't Hub-integrated, BB10 will be officially dead for me. Having Telegram functional, however, would mean it's worth sticking around rather than switching to my Priv as the daily driver.

For these reasons I'm inclined to accept the dev's offer, but it's a bit steep of a price tag for me to accept on my own. My question is, are any other BB10 and Telegram users out there interested in funding this? I'm down with spending 50 USD on it, so I'd only need to raise 150 USD more.

I've x-posted in r/BlackBerry and tweeted at Bla1ze. If anyone thinks of other means of fundraising, I'd be happy to hear your suggestions. I'm down for creating a kickstarter, though it'd be ideal to just send the money to the dev directly, since kickstarter takes a cut. Thanks in advance!
    I am interested but cant find it at BBW

Edit: found it.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59949886

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    03-24-17 04:03 PM
    What telephone you are using? On the passport the app is to small (need 300 or 400%)

Posted via CB10
    On both my Z30 and Passport I love the app at 200%. Wouldn't want it any bigger for sure, but also wouldn't want it much smaller.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 05:43 PM
    It was my understanding that none of the Telegram apps for BB10 were capable of sending private chats. Which is supposed to be The Point of these such an app. Unless that were implemented I I really could not care less.

Posted via CB10
    When you say private, do you mean messages to individual people, or are you talking about end-to-end encryption? Either way, this app supports both.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 05:44 PM
    I am interested but cant find it at BBW

Edit: found it.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59949886

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Sorry, that's my bad. Looks like I put a space after the link in my post so it's not coming up properly in BBW. I'll fix that up once I'm home.

Once you play around with it for a while, let me know what you think. If you're interested in helping fund, feel free to PM me to discuss.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 05:46 PM
    When you say private, do you mean messages to individual people, or are you talking about end-to-end encryption? Either way, this app supports both.

Posted via CB10
    That's good to know. I read somewhere it did not. It does not say so in the description. And there's no indication within any of the screenshots. That's the dumb thing about Telegram (in general)--that encrypted chats are not on by default; you have to turn them on for each chat. Makes no sense, and unless there is a clear statement I assume it is missing.
    03-24-17 06:29 PM
    That's good to know. I read somewhere it did not. It does not say so in the description. And there's no indication within any of the screenshots. That's the dumb thing about Telegram (in general)--that encrypted chats are not on by default; you have to turn them on for each chat. Makes no sense, and unless there is a clear statement I assume it is missing.
    If you'd like, I can double-check with the dev. We've been chatting back and forth and he alluded to it, but I can confirm. It's something I'd like to know too.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 09:21 PM
    I like the app but hardly readable on Passport. Quite nice on Classic. I'd contribute to the development gladly.
    03-25-17 04:51 AM
    I don't use it (yet) but willing to give a few quid to a good cause..
    03-25-17 05:08 AM
    I just downloaded it. As I am committed to using BB10 long term would gladly donate.
    03-25-17 02:12 PM
    I just downloaded it. As I am committed to using BB10 long term would gladly donate.
    I don't use it (yet) but willing to give a few quid to a good cause..
    I like the app but hardly readable on Passport. Quite nice on Classic. I'd contribute to the development gladly.
    Thanks to each of you! At the recommendation of a fellow redditor, I've gone ahead and created a fundraiser found here. The site doesn't take a fee so it will all go to the app, you just have to change the donation to the site itself by selecting 'another amount' and then '0' for the amount.

If we don't have $200 by the end of April, I'll cancel the fundraiser and all money will be returned.

I'm trying to get it kickstarted (no pun intended) but I'm having some PayPal troubles that I'll get sorted out—my personal $50 donation will come soon.

Please spread the word if you're able to, even if you can't give.

Thanks again!
    03-25-17 05:34 PM
    The official android app works very well. I can't see the reason for a native bB10 app NOW

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 05:38 PM
    The official android app works very well. I can't see the reason for a native bB10 app NOW

Posted via CB10
    The official app from play store won't push notifications to the hub for me.
    Also it only loads new messages when I open up the app.

I think I could donate some of my student pennies at the beginning of the month.
    03-26-17 01:28 AM
    The official app from play store won't push notifications to the hub for me.
    Also it only loads new messages when I open up the app.

I think I could donate some of my student pennies at the beginning of the month.
    Are you on the latest update? I think I've had hub notifications ever since I first installed it over 2 years ago. They currently work on a Passport and a Classic. You have to enable some background service from the app, although it's enabled by default. I'm talking about the app from F-Droid or Play Store.
    03-26-17 06:36 AM
    Are you on the latest update? I think I've had hub notifications ever since I first installed it over 2 years ago. They currently work on a Passport and a Classic. You have to enable some background service from the app, although it's enabled by default. I'm talking about the app from F-Droid or Play Store.
    How does it behave the app in terms of battery draining?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 07:30 AM
    I like the app but hardly readable on Passport.
    I found the same thing to be true on the z10. Even with the scale turned up to 200% the text is almost unreadable.

I assume the same thing would hold true for the z30.

That would need to be addressed somehow.
    03-26-17 09:16 AM
    How does it behave the app in terms of battery draining?

Posted via CB10
    I haven't used a phone without telegram for quite some time. I guess it's negligible. I get 1 day on any phone, except for the PP which lasts 1.5 days.
    03-26-17 10:31 AM
    I found the same thing to be true on the z10. Even with the scale turned up to 200% the text is almost unreadable.

I assume the same thing would hold true for the z30.

That would need to be addressed somehow.
    That's so weird to read, for me honestly I wish there were a 175 % setting since 200 % is a bit too big on my Z30. (I'm mid-twenties and have decent vision, but by no means perfect.)

Try opening the attached image full-screen on your Z10. Is the text readable, or is it still illegibly small? I suspect this might have to do with the app trying to compensate poorly for the small screen.

Dev of beautiful native Telegram app is willing to update/fix it… anyone interested in taking part?-img_20170326_222424.png

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 10:29 PM
    Will you lot do me a favour? The dev is reporting that audio recording works fine on his device, but on all of mine (I have every BB10 device save for Q5 and Z10), the audio is 'hiccuping' during recording/playback. (I just recorded this short vid as an example.)

Can anyone confirm whether this is occurring for them as well?
    03-27-17 12:15 AM
    Skips on my passport every few seconds, the interface is definitely too small as well, can hardly use the icons...
    03-28-17 03:19 AM
    Why is not the developer of this app discussing directly here on CB? It could be better for all of us...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 04:45 AM
84 123 ...