Why is not the developer of this app discussing directly here on CB? It could be better for all of us...

Posted via CB10
    Would inspire more confidence at least.
    03-28-17 12:10 PM
    Why is not the developer of this app discussing directly here on CB? It could be better for all of us...

Posted via CB10
    I've given him the link to this and the Reddit thread. Feel free to invite him as well. He's at [email protected]

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 01:25 PM
    For $200 he should open source it. The official client is also open source.
    03-30-17 10:32 AM
    For $200 he should open source it. The official client is also open source.
    That sounds pretty reasonable. If you check the latest update in BBW, he basically says he's done working on it and he's making it free to download anyway. I'll ask about that, and you should too

Posted via CB10
    03-30-17 02:48 PM
    I've brought up the issues that have been brought up in this thread with the dev, and this is his response. (He's Chinese, pardon the txtspk.) Hopefully we can raise $100 so he can start taking a look, we're at $60 right now.

Dev of beautiful native Telegram app is willing to update/fix it… anyone interested in taking part?-img_20170330_144522.png

Posted via CB10
    03-30-17 02:50 PM
    That sounds pretty reasonable. If you check the latest update in BBW, he basically says he's done working on it and he's making it free to download anyway. I'll ask about that, and you should too

Posted via CB10
    Since I'm satisfied with the official client, I don't intend to use an alternative. After whatsapp pulls support from BB10, I'll completely switch to another platform. So, I don't have an incentive to donate. Considering I don't really have an interest in the app, I won't impose on the dev what to do with his work.

Furthermore, even if he does open source it, he doesn't seem keen on continuing support. There aren't many BB10 enthusiasts left, so chances for others to audit the code are slim. Unsupported, unpopular, open-source IM clients are a security risk.
    03-30-17 03:33 PM
    Since I'm satisfied with the official client, I don't intend to use an alternative. After whatsapp pulls support from BB10, I'll completely switch to another platform. So, I don't have an incentive to donate. Considering I don't really have an interest in the app, I won't impose on the dev what to do with his work.

Furthermore, even if he does open source it, he doesn't seem keen on continuing support. There aren't many BB10 enthusiasts left, so chances for others to audit the code are slim. Unsupported, unpopular, open-source IM clients are a security risk.
    Yeah, I'm tempted to switch platforms as well once WhatsApp pulls. If this campaign doesn't work out, I likely will hop over to WP10. I've had my eye on the HP Elite x3 for some time now. I'd love to stay on BB10, especially if there's Hub integration for a Telegram app, but no native support for either is just too much with a blow and, with a heavy heart, I'll have to leave 10+ years as a BlackBerry addict behind.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-17 05:06 PM
    Yeah, I'm tempted to switch platforms as well once WhatsApp pulls. If this campaign doesn't work out, I likely will hop over to WP10. I've had my eye on the HP Elite x3 for some time now. I'd love to stay on BB10, especially if there's Hub integration for a Telegram app, but no native support for either is just too much with a blow and, with a heavy heart, I'll have to leave 10+ years as a BlackBerry addict behind.

Posted via CB10
    I suggest you reconsider your choice of switching to a Windows 10 phone. They are in the same boat as BlackBerry. They have a very low market share and although Microsoft can support mobile because they have the moolah, they don't have apps. Platforms without apps are dead.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-30-17 05:25 PM
    I suggest you reconsider your choice of switching to a Windows 10 phone. They are in the same boat as BlackBerry. They have a very low market share and although Microsoft can support mobile because they have the moolah, they don't have apps. Platforms without apps are dead.
    I could be way off, and in a few years I'll laugh at my naïveté, but I sincerely believe that once MS releases the Surface Phone and successfully bridges the gap between desktop and mobile (meaning, your phone becomes your desktop once you get home), it will revolutionise our concept of separate devices for such the way the iPhone revolutionised our concept of what a phone is in 2007.

Even *if* I'm wrong that Microsoft with the Surface Phone will be the ones to do it, I believe that it's where we're heading regardless. Our mobile devices are getting powerful to the point where the only thing stopping them from being our desktops are the screen size and lack of keyboard.

You know that oft-reposted image of all the devices our smartphones have replaced?

Dev of beautiful native Telegram app is willing to update/fix it… anyone interested in taking part?-1993-2003-technology.jpg

That trend hasn't finished quite yet. Once our phones are powerful enough and apps are universal, our desktops and laptops will go the way of the Walkman.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-17 11:10 PM
    I could be way off, and in a few years I'll laugh at my naïveté, but I sincerely believe that once MS releases the Surface Phone and successfully bridges the gap between desktop and mobile (meaning, your phone becomes your desktop once you get home), it will revolutionise our concept of separate devices for such the way the iPhone revolutionised our concept of what a phone is in 2007.

Posted via CB10
    It sounds nice, but I can't trust Microsoft to achieve that. We've got a Surface Pro in the family and it's far from acting like a real tablet. It doesn't always recognise text fields, power management is not as good as on the iPad, MS' own apps don't scale properly and it died once during an update from a full charge.

I dislike Microsoft's approach to Windows 10, with it's forced updates and freaking ads in Explorer. Random stuff stopped working after updates. I'm staying as far away as possible from the MS ecosystem.

What you want is somewhat possible on Android. Check out this . . The video is 2 years old, but I suspect connecting a Pixel in a similar way would offer an OK desktop experience.

The main issue with using any phone as a desktop replacement is heat dissipation. You can observe this when gaming on laptops. Resource intensive games run fine during the first 15 minutes, then slow down because laptop GPUs can't cool fast enough.

I suspect current phones have the same problem if you want to do anything intensive for more than a few minutes. The heat generated from using it in this manner frequently would surely shorten the phone's life. Maybe that's why manufacturers don't advertise this functionality, even though it's possible on current phones.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-31-17 04:35 AM
    If there is Paypal payment option I'm in. Otherwise I have to pass, sorry.
    04-04-17 04:01 PM
    If there is Paypal payment option I'm in. Otherwise I have to pass, sorry.
    It's not only an option, it's the only option (Which actually kind of stinks, since it seems Europeans are having trouble with their donations getting through).

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 06:33 PM
    What you want is somewhat possible on Android. Check out this . . The video is 2 years old, but I suspect connecting a Pixel in a similar way would offer an OK desktop experience.

Here's the same thing back in 2012 with the Note 2. This isn't a new concept at all, though of course every year it gets better.

Still, I completely agree with everything you state below.

The main issue with using any phone as a desktop replacement is heat dissipation. You can observe this when gaming on laptops. Resource intensive games run fine during the first 15 minutes, then slow down because laptop GPUs can't cool fast enough.

I suspect current phones have the same problem if you want to do anything intensive for more than a few minutes. The heat generated from using it in this manner frequently would surely shorten the phone's life. Maybe that's why manufacturers don't advertise this functionality, even though it's possible on current phones.
    04-04-17 09:51 PM
    It's not only an option, it's the only option (Which actually kind of stinks, since it seems Europeans are having trouble with their donations getting through).

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for correcting me.
    Yes, there is Paypal and it is the only option.
    04-05-17 04:24 AM
    When I look at videos above, I remember Palm Foleo...
    04-05-17 04:48 AM
    When I look at videos above, I remember Palm Foleo...
    Palm was amazing back when. I'll never forget my friend showing me true multitasking on his Palm Pre- years before anyone else came even close.

I take it the latest donation is from you. Thanks very much! We're that much closer.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 06:41 PM
    On 15 April, when we're at the halfway point in the campaign, I'll make a new topic title that reflects the current state of the campaign

Posted via CB10
    04-11-17 08:36 PM
    thejackson5, any updates on the progress of your/the campaign? If there's been a new thread I seem to have missed it.

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-30-17 08:31 AM
    thejackson5, any updates on the progress of your/the campaign? If there's been a new thread I seem to have missed it.

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    Yup! An anonymous Reddit donor gave 130 USD (!!) a little under two weeks ago. I sent the 200$ we'd raised to the dev on 19 April. I'll email him in about a week to see what's up; I figure 3 weeks is enough time that he should have made progress by then.

I'm a fan of transparency, so you all are very free to contact the dev himself and as what's up! Here's his contact info (you can verify by going to DianBao for Telegram in App World and clicking on Contact Developer or Developer's Web Site):

Dev of beautiful native Telegram app is willing to update/fix it… anyone interested in taking part?-dev.png
    05-01-17 01:50 PM
    I am looking forward to the upcoming enhancements!
    05-02-17 07:19 AM
    I think when any enhancements are made people will have more confidence in donating. I don't understand why devs don't add a donate button in their apps. Could be a good way to create more activity.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 08:30 AM
    I don't understand why devs don't add a donate button in their apps. Could be a good way to create more activity.

Posted via CB10
    Well, the last time the dev was still actively developing this app, it was a paid one (something like 3 bucks), so there wasn't that much need of a donation button. The only reason it's free now is because he didn't plan on updating it anymore. Honestly, I'm hoping he makes it a paid app again, because that would mean he has the intention of indefinitely adding features and bugfixes beyond the ones we've paid him to do. Personally I'd love to see voice calls implemented, as they are in the official Android app.
    05-02-17 03:21 PM
    Update: I asked the dev for a status update and got this response:

Dev of beautiful native Telegram app is willing to update/fix it… anyone interested in taking part?-capture-d-e-cran-2017-05-11-12.34.52.png

Let's just hope he's a better coder than customer service rep.
    05-11-17 12:38 PM
    Update: I asked the dev for a status update and got this response:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture d’écran 2017-05-11 à 12.34.52.png 
Views:	1020 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	422973

Let's just hope he's a better coder than customer service rep.
    Wooow, he replied from a HP pre 3!!

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    05-11-17 01:51 PM
    If still more funds are needed I am up for the job. As a matter of fact I've been wondering if it is possible for the community to get together and crowd fund getting some apps upgrade and so on.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-17 04:05 PM
84 1234