I am hoping that Desktop Manager gets complete update before BB10 goes on sale. One of the biggest features they should add is the ability to backup iPhones and Androids so that compatible files and txt messages can get transffered onto BB10 for those who decide to switch from those platforms. This feature should be included in the first commercial that hits air waves because so many BB users have no idea this can be done. I have my fingers crossed that RIM really puts a lot of work into this platform and ecosystem because I love BlackBerry.
    04-03-12 07:45 PM
    Interesting thought. At first I was going to ask "what are you smokin'? ", but then I got to thinking about what you were asking for. As enticing as the idea may be that RIM could come up with a way to make its Desktop Manager act as a backup agent for any type of phone, I doubt that's going to happen any time soon. Each phone has a different ecosystem and the complexity of matching up fields between each phone in order to backup from one and then restore to another without any kind of information loss would likely be too difficult to do.
    04-03-12 10:05 PM
    Desktop Manager needs to be OVERHAULED big time or ALL SETUP needs to be moved to the clouds. Current implementation is archaic.

I feel Desktop Manager should be a Desktop view of the BlackBerry ID owner's PIM, manage and access AppWorld, media and security settings.
    04-03-12 10:52 PM
    Interesting thought. At first I was going to ask "what are you smokin'? ", but then I got to thinking about what you were asking for. As enticing as the idea may be that RIM could come up with a way to make its Desktop Manager act as a backup agent for any type of phone, I doubt that's going to happen any time soon. Each phone has a different ecosystem and the complexity of matching up fields between each phone in order to backup from one and then restore to another without any kind of information loss would likely be too difficult to do.
    If they can make Mobile Fusion to control iPhones and Adnroids then I don't see why it would be a problem to transffer messages, emails, contacts, wifi connection, files and other stuff to appropriate locations on a BB10 device. Applications are completely different case.
    04-04-12 11:09 AM
    DM needs an overhaul period.
    04-04-12 11:48 AM
    they haven't even gotten dm7 straighten out and rereleased. My god what is taking so long
    04-04-12 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD