Hi,
    I have a couple of questions about email management:
    1.- I used to have a Curve with OS6 and when I tried to delete an email it would let me choose whether to delete it only in the device or from the server. I don't see this in OS 10. If this is somewhere available? does this apply to both POP and IMAP? which brings me to my second question ....

2.- I have my gmail set up as IMAP. Can I somehow setup the above option? Sometimes I want to delete a message in my phone but leave it in the server. The other synch operations can be normal as they are so for example when I make a new message in my phone, it will show up in gmail when I access it with the web interface and viceversa. It's just the deleting function that I'd like to be able to decide from my phone.

Thanks
    10-17-13 11:50 AM
    The functionality you are looking for unfortunately does not exist in OS 10 because BlackBerry in all of their infinite wisdom decided to abandon BIS for new devices.

Hi,
    I have a couple of questions about email management:
    1.- I used to have a Curve with OS6 and when I tried to delete an email it would let me choose whether to delete it only in the device or from the server. I don't see this in OS 10. If this is somewhere available? does this apply to both POP and IMAP? which brings me to my second question ....

2.- I have my gmail set up as IMAP. Can I somehow setup the above option? Sometimes I want to delete a message in my phone but leave it in the server. The other synch operations can be normal as they are so for example when I make a new message in my phone, it will show up in gmail when I access it with the web interface and viceversa. It's just the deleting function that I'd like to be able to decide from my phone.

Thanks
    10-17-13 12:07 PM
    BRILLIANT !! Thanks anyway

However, regarding question 2, I thought there was a way in gmail settings (or in the phone email acct folder options, not sure now ...) a way to keep the message from being deleted in the server when I delete it in my phone. It was a gmail thing not a Blackberry setting.
    10-17-13 12:18 PM
    It was a function of BIS to keep messages on server, but delete on handheld. Gmail, Exchange, Outlook.com, whatever you used in OS 5-7, the functionality was through BIS.

However, regarding question 2, I thought there was a way in gmail settings (or in the phone email acct folder options, not sure now ...) a way to keep the message from being deleted in the server when I delete it in my phone. It was a gmail thing not a Blackberry setting.
    anon(3900582) likes this.
    10-17-13 12:22 PM

There may be a way to set up Gmail such that it moves deleted items to the trash bin rather than deletes them altogether, but there's no way to simply hide the message from the phone.

Don't like having 30 days of email cluttering up the hub either, I take it?

BlackBerry decided to go the iPhone/Android method of email management with synchronized mailboxes. Anything you do on the phone is done on the server and any other device.

What you *could* do is set up a second email account and have your primary account forward copies of all your emails to the second account and just have that second account sync'd to the phone. That way when you delete messages they're deleted from the second account and not the first.
    anon(3900582) likes this.
    10-17-13 12:30 PM
    There may be a way to set up Gmail such that it moves deleted items to the trash bin rather than deletes them altogether, but there's no way to simply hide the message from the phone.
    See post # 4 in this thread for the settings (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...8/#post8638154). This allows you to delete the item from your device and have it go to Gmail's "Trash".

Edit: Link added
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 10-17-13 at 07:00 PM.
    10-17-13 03:26 PM
    palosanto:

Yes, after years of having BIS email users complain about not having true 2-way email sync like other platforms, BlackBerry has provided the 2-way. For better or for worse -- it's a matter of opinion. I personally find the BB10 email system to be far better for my uses. Yes, it took a little adjustment in how to deal with messages.

I prefer to keep my Hub as clean as possible. So, in place of the BB OS method of "deleting messages from handheld", I simply file them to their appropriate Inbox sub-folder after reading them on my device. Messages that I need to address are flagged, so that they show easily on my desktop in an Outlook view. I can also search them easily on my device. As I have my main accounts syncing "forever", I now have all my email on both the server and my device. And, I have a clean Hub.
    10-17-13 03:34 PM
    As I have my main accounts syncing "forever", I now have all my email on both the server and my device.
    And, I have a clean Hub.
    I'd have about 20,000 emails on my phone if I sync'd forever.

It's too bad there's no way to have different sync durations for different folders.
    10-17-13 03:53 PM
    I'd have about 20,000 emails on my phone if I sync'd forever.

It's too bad there's no way to have different sync durations for different folders.
    After doing a purge of my Gmail, I have almost 10,000 being synced in that one account alone. No issues at all.
    And, you don't have to sync all folders -- you can pick and choose which to sync.
    10-17-13 04:03 PM
    See post # 4 in this thread for the settings. This allows you to delete the item from your device and have it go to Gmail's "Trash".
    Sorry what thread?
    10-17-13 04:06 PM
    After doing a purge of my Gmail, I have almost 10,000 being synced in that one account alone. No issues at all.
    And, you don't have to sync all folders -- you can pick and choose which to sync.
    Frankly that's just a waste of space on the phone. I know you can pick and choose the folders, but you can't have one folder at 90 days, another at 30 and another at forever.
    10-17-13 04:23 PM
    Sorry what thread?
    Sorry, here it is: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...8/#post8638154
    10-17-13 07:01 PM
    Frankly that's just a waste of space on the phone. I know you can pick and choose the folders, but you can't have one folder at 90 days, another at 30 and another at forever.
    Having all synced isn't a waste for me, it's the main reason I carry a smartphone. I keep everything possible on my mSD card. So, even with all the email, I have approximately 9 GB free on device. No problemo. Remember, we all have different needs.
    10-17-13 07:04 PM