I understand sync perfectly well. It seems you aren't able to imagine why some people found it useful to delete some email from the device only. Either that or you're trolling.

Posted via CB10
    If you wait 30 days the message will be deleted from the smartphone but remain on the mail server. This is a work around which should not be necessary.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    04-12-13 09:47 AM
    If you wait 30 days the message will be deleted from the smartphone but remain on the mail server. This is a work around which should not be necessary.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    This isn't a workaround.
    (nice avatar tho :P)
    04-12-13 10:16 AM
    Excuse my language but holy **** am I the only one with this strange problem and not matter what thread I read I can never seem to understand if people are discussing what is happening to me with the email. My Outlook 2010 at work acts very different and it is the only one giving me a problem. The email remains on my computer in Outlook no matter what. However on my Z10 this is a whole different story. Basically if I receive an email (Outlook/exchange account) not my Hotmail (which works great) and I actually open the email on my phone but If I don`t reply right away the email just deletes itself on my device and can`t be recovered anywhere!! WTF! However on my Outlook 2010 the e-mail is still there and can be read and opened without problem. I dont understand this and is this what everyone is discussing. I should mention that I have wiped the phone yesterday and tried deleting/re-adding the account without success......My Hotmail does not do this. Are discussing the same thing in this thread at all? It seems no one has answer for me lol
    04-12-13 02:31 PM
    I refuse to think that BB is ok with EAS because "it is what is now and what everyone else is doing."

Not only do you not have any foundation from which to make such an assertion and grotesquely trivialize that strategic decision, if you had much knowledge of the market and technology I would think it would be self-evident that using EAS is not simply a matter of "what everyone else is doing". MOST enterprise email vendors these days are supporting EAS, including the only 2 companies that make a product that is considered direct competition for Microsoft Exchange: IBM/Lotus and Novell.

One key advantage of EAS is its wide deployment and standardization, which means that Blackberry immediately gains access to all sorts of systems that its previous product line did NOT have access to. That in itself is a huge win.

Another key advantage is that it is a published and well-documented standard, maintained by a company which is strong and not going anywhere any time soon. That takes a lot of risk away from its usage. It is also a sophisticated and flexible protocol at this point, far more so than when it first hit the scene with Exchange 2003.

Importantly, Blackberry at this point not only has a small marketshare, but it has only a tiny fraction of the development and financial resources that its major competitors have. (Google, Apple and Microsoft) Trying to push 100% proprietary email solutions on the world in order for people to use Blackberries would be business suicide for the company these days. It's a tough enough battle trying to get BES10 into enterprises, there are a plethora of competitors in that space now, several of which have far deeper pockets than BBRY does.

BB will not survive following what everyone else is doing.

I see responses like this here all the time but frankly, they mean little. Lots of people seem to think that their personal pet feature is going to be the single make-or-break item for BBRY's survival. Most people making such overwrought doom-and-gloom predictions, to be blunt, need some serious perspective adjustment. See my previous comment above.

Last edited by Omnitech; 04-12-13 at 11:56 PM.
    NoAhB0Dy likes this.
    04-12-13 11:46 PM
    Excuse my language but holy **** am I the only one with this strange problem and not matter what thread I read I can never seem to understand if people are discussing what is happening to me with the email. My Outlook 2010 at work acts very different and it is the only one giving me a problem. The email remains on my computer in Outlook no matter what. However on my Z10 this is a whole different story. Basically if I receive an email (Outlook/exchange account) not my Hotmail (which works great) and I actually open the email on my phone but If I don`t reply right away the email just deletes itself on my device and can`t be recovered anywhere!! WTF! However on my Outlook 2010 the e-mail is still there and can be read and opened without problem.

I have seen people complain of this before. Assuming the account is connected using Exchange ActiveSync:

First thing I would check is see if you have "Display Style" in Blackberry Hub configured for "Conversations" view. That will appear in some cases to make certain messages "disappear", but in reality all it is doing is concatenating it to an existing "conversation". Try turning that setting back to "Single Messages" and see if the messages "reappear".

Another possibility is if the messages have a datestamp that is older than that account's "sync timeframe" setting, they will be purged from the device. IOW if a message is 8 days old but your sync timeframe is 7 days, that message will no longer be visible on the handheld.
    04-12-13 11:52 PM
    Well, it is perfect for me to have 1:1 handheld:mailbox as i used to have it on android. Perfect sync, i don't want to bother deleting emails on mailbox after i already deleted it on phone..

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 05:01 AM
    I also missed this when I left BBOS, but I got used to using Android's "archive" for a similar purpose.

With true sync happening, I think the best that could be done is to have a "hide" selection for individual emails. They'd still be on the device, but they'd be invisible to the user until he/she clicks a "show all"--similar to the way BBOS handled folders and icons on its main screen. This wouldn't save space of course, but it would provide the user with the less cluttered inbox option, which is what the "delete on handheld" mainly offered.

So I'd suggest a "hide email" option in a future update, with a "show all" option in the main email menu.
    Just move it to a folder.
    04-13-13 05:38 AM
    Yup lots of people don't want 'Delete on Handheld' and that's fine.
    No harm offering what other people are offering, like EAS, as an option for those that want it.
    And it also makes sense to offer the superior solution BlackBerry used to.
    Which they don't at the moment on BB10.
    04-13-13 05:41 AM
    And it also makes sense to offer the superior solution BlackBerry used to.

Stating opinion as if fact again?

Clearly most of the world is unconcerned about such things because the devices which have completely swamped Blackberry's marketshare over the past few years never had such features.

Luckily the current BBRY management is less emotionally-attached to such legacy features than Lazaridis/Balsillie were and assign resources appropriately.

I even think it would be handy to have some of those old legacy BB features back, but I don't always assume that makes those things "superior", or the current platform "inferior". What we have now is superior in MOST respects, the other things that I would like to see come under my personal mental category of "nice to have" not "OMFG THIS NEW STUFF IS SO INFERIOR AND HORRIBLE".
    04-13-13 07:14 PM

Clearly most of the world is unconcerned about such things because the devices which have completely swamped Blackberry's marketshare over the past few years never had such features.

Luckily the current BBRY management is less emotionally-attached to such legacy features than Lazaridis/Balsillie were and assign resources appropriately.

I even think it would be handy to have some of those old legacy BB features back, but I don't always assume that makes those things "superior", or the current platform "inferior". What we have now is superior in MOST respects, the other things that I would like to see come under my personal mental category of "nice to have" not "OMFG THIS NEW STUFF IS SO INFERIOR AND HORRIBLE".
    Yes mate, you must be used to it by now, since most of your posts state your opinion as fact, and worse, you label those opinions as FAQs and spam links across the forum to them.

Legacy devices failed because of a lack of apps and functionality.
    BB10 provides less apps at the moment than legacy. And none of the functionality that kept about 80 million happy BB subscribers. That's not great planning. That's dropping legacy benefits and not catching up to the competition. And it's why I'm sure BIS will be back.

Thankfully I'm not someone who needs to say "THIS NEW STUFF IS SO SUPERIOR AND AWESOME JUST BECAUSE IT'S NEW EVEN IF IT DOESN'T DO WHAT THE OLD STUFF DID WAY BETTER AND I CAN'T ACCEPT THAT"
    lsf222 likes this.
    04-13-13 08:47 PM

Mate, if you think email on BB10 is superior you're just crazy, sorry to say it. Without BIS even the Nokia E61 I had before I bought my first BlackBerry in around 2008 handled email better, at least it could download ALL your emails at set up not just 30 days.
    I bought a BlackBerry because that wasn't good enough for me, I needed true push email.

If BIS wasn't a superior email solution, are you saying BlackBerry has lied to people all along selling them BIS? Are you saying I should've just kept my Nokia E61?
    04-14-13 03:20 AM
    I have the opposite complaint to most of the people on this thread. I would like to be able to delete messages from the server and keep them on my phone. I have my business email accounts, which receive many messages with large attachments, set up as POP3 accounts. Messages are downloaded to my computer and automatically deleted from the server. So now all my emails are automatically disappearing from my Z10 as soon as they are downloaded to my computer. With my old BBs, I was able to keep messages on my phone until I deleted them. Does anyone know of any way to achieve this with BB10?

Thanks for your help everyone.
    04-14-13 10:53 PM
    I have the opposite complaint to most of the people on this thread. I would like to be able to delete messages from the server and keep them on my phone. I have my business email accounts, which receive many messages with large attachments, set up as POP3 accounts. Messages are downloaded to my computer and automatically deleted from the server. So now all my emails are automatically disappearing from my Z10 as soon as they are downloaded to my computer. With my old BBs, I was able to keep messages on my phone until I deleted them. Does anyone know of any way to achieve this with BB10?

Thanks for your help everyone.
    Try going into your email settings your computer (Outlook?) and see if you can find a setting to leave the messages on the server.
    04-14-13 11:18 PM
    Your "suggestion" is not that difficult, however, the ability to have the option of choosing where a message was deleted was one of the core, and in my opinion (and others evidently) most important things that made a BlackBerry the king of email.
    If every blackberry user was thinking like that then blackberry would never have gone down hill. There's a small percentage that care for it.

Posted Via CB10 Z10
    04-14-13 11:22 PM
    Try going into your email settings your computer (Outlook?) and see if you can find a setting to leave the messages on the server.
    Well yes, certainly I could leave messages on the server. But I don't want to to do that because I receive many messages with large attachments and the server would quickly fill up. That is why I have my email client set up to download messages and delete them from the server.
    04-14-13 11:36 PM
    If every blackberry user was thinking like that then blackberry would never have gone down hill. There's a small percentage that care for it.

Posted Via CB10 Z10
    No, they needed to supplement their strengths with improvements.
    Not drop them altogether.
    Again, there wasn't a new legacy device for 2 years, and the 9900 was out specced at release.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 03:25 AM
    Legacy devices failed because of a lack of apps and functionality.

There you go again, stating opinion as if fact, combining it this time with concepts so ambiguous ("functionality") as to mean anything one decides it should mean whenever one changes one's mind or figures out that your previous definition no longer made the statement true.

Mate, if you think email on BB10 is superior you're just crazy, sorry to say it.

Mate, for the 25th time, I don't live in this sort of binary world where product A is "100% superior" and product B is "100% inferior".

People who tend to talk in those ways are usually referred to as polemicists. Not my modus operandi.

Without BIS even the Nokia E61 I had before I bought my first BlackBerry in around 2008 handled email better, at least it could download ALL your emails at set up not just 30 days.

Taking the lack of a single feature out of a variety of capabilities and proclaiming it the "one, true feature that defines good email handling" is a little silly, to put it as lightly as I possibly can.

I bought a BlackBerry because that wasn't good enough for me, I needed true push email.
    That's a shame if you thought that because using BIS to retrieve POP emails is not "true push email" either. Whether or not it met your needs is another matter, but let's not just bandy cute terms around because they sound impressive. Accuracy and all that rot.

If BIS wasn't a superior email solution, are you saying BlackBerry has lied to people all along selling them BIS?
    Why on earth would you accuse me of making such a claim?

Are you saying I should've just kept my Nokia E61?
    Why on earth would you accuse me of making such a suggestion to you?
    John Pawling and lsf222 like this.
    04-15-13 04:43 AM
    From what I can get from the thread is that some people do not want the email box to sync. Leave the email box on the server or wherever alone and send copies to the device. That way the user can delete from the handheld and still have them in their desktop mail client is that correct.

So what about filing emails? What about marking them as read? If you don't want deletes synced, what about the other items? My opinion is sync all actions or none. But that's just me I guess.
    04-15-13 05:19 AM
    There you go again, stating opinion as if fact, combining it this time with concepts so ambiguous ("functionality") as to mean anything one decides it should mean whenever one changes one's mind or figures out that your previous definition no longer made the statement true.

As I have stated before, you not only constantly state your opinion as fact but you also cross link it across the forum and label your opinion as a FAQ. I know which approach I think is worse. You don't deal in facts. No matter how much you tell yourself you do.
    To be fair, this is a forum, most people are dealing in opinions not facts.
    And yes, people left legacy because they couldn't get the same functionality, or apps, that they could on other platforms. Hard to argue with. Surprised you're trying. Well I'd be surprised with most people, but not so much in this case...

Mate, for the 25th time, I don't live in this sort of binary world where product A is "100% superior" and product B is "100% inferior".

Oh but you do. I remember the endless threads you started claiming EAS was the way forward and BIS was outdated and irrelevant. You absolutely do live in a binary world, more so than most posters here.

People who tend to talk in those ways are usually referred to as polemicists. Not my modus operandi.

Right. Sure.

Taking the lack of a single feature out of a variety of capabilities and proclaiming it the "one, true feature that defines good email handling" is a little silly, to put it as lightly as I possibly can.

Equally, pushing a new method of handling emails that competitors have been using for years, proclaiming it as the only way forward, while disregarding the fact that the previous way BlackBerry handled emails offered more features than are currently possible on BB10 or any other OS, it's a bit silly, to put it very mildly.

That's a shame if you thought that because using BIS to retrieve POP emails is not "true push email" either. Whether or not it met your needs is another matter, but let's not just bandy cute terms around because they sound impressive. Accuracy and all that rot.

Do you actually read your own posts and notice how they apply to you? Having a BIS server constantly poll your inbox and then push mail to your handheld is as close to true push as is possible. I'm starting to wonder if you've ever used a BlackBerry. You were already talking up the capabilities of BB10 before you had touched a device, now I'm wondering whether you ever used a legacy device and had a chance to appreciate the experience.

Why on earth would you accuse me of making such a claim?

Why on earth would you accuse me of making such a suggestion to you?
    As above.
    04-15-13 06:03 AM
    Sometimes it's good to be reminded why I should have kept certain people on the hide list.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-15-13 08:42 AM
    Sometimes it's good to be reminded why I should have kept certain people on the hide list.
    I know you're passionate about your beliefs but I don't undertand why you can't get that I really loved the functionality I used to have and no longer do.
    This is not some new revolutionary email system in BB10, this is what everyone else offers, and has been offering, for years. Just worse with the limitations. If that's good enough for you, great! But why is it so hard to understand that I preferred a different way?
    04-15-13 09:18 AM
    Sorry I was initially so dismissive of your suggestion, gebco. I realize now that it makes perfect sense. Once I delete the messages from my Z10, they will disappear from the server too. Thanks!
    04-15-13 09:38 AM
    Sorry I was initially so dismissive of your suggestion, gebco. I realize now that it makes perfect sense. Once I delete the messages from my Z10, they will disappear from the server too. Thanks!
    But that means they're gone forever. I'd be careful.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 12:46 PM
    BlackBerry for 10 years: come and buy our devices, we have a revolutionary email system, true push email

BlackBerry now for bb10: come and buy our devices, we have the same email solution............ everybody else had all along for the last 10 years

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 12:49 PM
    I know you're passionate about your beliefs but I don't undertand why you can't get that I really loved the functionality I used to have and no longer do.
    This is not some new revolutionary email system in BB10, this is what everyone else offers, and has been offering, for years. Just worse with the limitations. If that's good enough for you, great! But why is it so hard to understand that I preferred a different way?

I have absolutely no problem with the concept that someone liked something better on an old device or system.

I have a serious problem with someone who takes such personal preferences and turns it into a never-ending crusade, who throws around all sorts of ridiculous "gloom and doom predictions" as a result of not getting their way, who trivializes the opinion of people who disagree with them and keeps picking fights with people who disagree with them.

I have a large list of things that I don't like about Blackberry10, some of which were not issues with the previous platform. The difference between me and the negative nellies is I don't go around incessantly bellyaching about it and picking fights with everyone that disagrees with me about those things.

Like I have pointed out many times before, the fact that RIM's competitors cleaned its clock and ate it for lunch during a period where RIM had "all of those legacy BBOS things" and their competitors did NOT, should be proof enough that the world doesn't care much about them.

So you can keep banging that drum until the end of time, don't be surprised if you are mostly just listening to a lot of echoes in that echo chamber of yours while the rest of the world is focused on other things that are more important to them.

I've already acknowledged that there is some value in some of those old features. At the same time I also emphasize that when looking at the BIG PICTURE, it's not hard to understand why Blackberry's priorities may not dovetail with that of what appears to be a relative minority of their current and potential future users.
    04-15-13 02:32 PM
765 ... 678910 ...