Hey, how are you doing, haven't seen you posting for a while.

I agree a lot of things would be nice to have, but personally my stance is if people want to do what a PC does/did, they shouldn't have abandoned them in the first place.

Because honestly there's only so much you can do on a tiny handheld device, it's not ideal for some things.

Now when they commercialize a holographic display tech that projects the UI outside of the device like Minority Report, then we can talk.

Re: deleting text - ever use the left swipe gesture on the virtual keyboard? Handy for deleting words.
    I got the bb10 holographic app which is great. The only problem is that it has a built in feature much like CB10 with *** replace bad words. The app adds clothes to any naked pictures. It's a real bummer.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my Google iBerry Cranial Implant
    11-23-13 08:59 AM
    I got the bb10 holographic app which is great. The only problem is that it has a built in feature much like CB10 with *** replace bad words. The app adds clothes to any naked pictures. It's a real bummer.
    Now I get to speculate about what kind of clothes it adds. French maid outfit?
    11-23-13 08:02 PM
    Now I get to speculate about what kind of clothes it adds. French maid outfit?
    Are you old enough to remember what granny clampett wore? like I said it's a bummer.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my Google iBerry Cranial Implant
    11-23-13 08:47 PM
    Are you old enough to remember what granny clampett wore? like I said it's a bummer.

Yeah but before I even try, what a damn buzzkill...
    11-23-13 09:08 PM
    Hey, how are you doing, haven't seen you posting for a while.

I agree a lot of things would be nice to have, but personally my stance is if people want to do what a PC does/did, they shouldn't have abandoned them in the first place.

Because honestly there's only so much you can do on a tiny handheld device, it's not ideal for some things.

Now when they commercialize a holographic display tech that projects the UI outside of the device like Minority Report, then we can talk.

Re: deleting text - ever use the left swipe gesture on the virtual keyboard? Handy for deleting words.
    Hi Omnitech. Hope you're well.

Have NOT abandoned my desktop at all! But after 30 plus years of typing on a similar keyboard layout, and editing text in a similar way, it's frustrating not having the delete key when trying to edit messages written on the phone! This is something that can easily be replicated. The new pop-up copy/cut/paste icons in 10.2 do make editing faster though. Much appreciated. Honestly, Blackberry should allow full customization for the keyboard. That's easy to implement software-wise. I'd ditch the comma key and replace it with DEL.

Yes, I know about the left swipe to delete words. That swipe is what I use more than anything else! I would love it if two quick swipes left deleted a sentence. Would save me from left-swiping fifteen times in a row. lol. Yes, I know I can just select the text and delete the block, but that's much slower. Or maybe a two-finger swipe left (like the two-finger swipe down to hide the keyboard)?

Too bad BB10 is the best kept secret in mobile computing.
    11-24-13 12:20 AM
    Have NOT abandoned my desktop at all! But after 30 plus years of typing on a similar keyboard layout, and editing text in a similar way, it's frustrating not having the delete key when trying to edit messages written on the phone! This is something that can easily be replicated. The new pop-up copy/cut/paste icons in 10.2 do make editing faster though. Much appreciated. Honestly, Blackberry should allow full customization for the keyboard. That's easy to implement software-wise. I'd ditch the comma key and replace it with DEL.

Yes, I know about the left swipe to delete words. That swipe is what I use more than anything else! I would love it if two quick swipes left deleted a sentence. Would save me from left-swiping fifteen times in a row. lol. Yes, I know I can just select the text and delete the block, but that's much slower. Or maybe a two-finger swipe left (like the two-finger swipe down to hide the keyboard)?

One item in my personal to-do list is to swap my secondary Z10 for a Q10 and play around with keyboard shortcuts. I'm not sure if the logic to "delete sentence" is there, but I hear the physical keyboard shortcuts are more flexible in 10.2.x.x than in the previous releases.

I have times where I feel like I am deleting/correcting 3x or 4x as many chars as I am typing on the virtual keyboard. I miss having the finger feedback and being able to type without looking.

Have you seen this?

TrackPad Editor - BlackBerry World

I think they should integrate that into the OS, it would work much better and help a lot with cursor management, IMHO.
    11-25-13 03:07 AM
    Thanks for that link omnitech. Interesting. Yes, that would be good. Meanwhile, I just learned yet another editing trick thanks to a comment on that app. If you tap and hold the shift key, the circle pops up, but instead of just using it to position the cursor, when you move the circle it selects the text to the left or right, and then you can delete it or whatever. Consider it a block select. Much better than the tear drop handles, which I really don't like.
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-25-13 04:07 AM
    Thanks for that link omnitech. Interesting. Yes, that would be good. Meanwhile, I just learned yet another editing trick thanks to a comment on that app. If you tap and hold the shift key, the circle pops up, but instead of just using it to position the cursor, when you move the circle it selects the text to the left or right, and then you can delete it or whatever. Consider it a block select. Much better than the tear drop handles, which I really don't like.

Good tip.

Personally I have ridiculous problems with cursor management on BB10, especially when I'm in an app like BBM or SMS and every time I touch the text editing area it does something I don't want like pops up the keyboard, pops down the keyboard, opens a menu, closes a menu, highlights text I don't want to highlight and won't release it, can't move the tear drop handles, they move to the wrong place, I can't get the edit circle to appear, I can't move the edit circle to the left or right margin, can't get the edit circle to go away, yadda yadda yadda.

(Edit: I currently do most of my text editing on my daily driver which is still on 10.1.0.4828, so SOME of those issues I expect to improve a bit when I upgrade it to 10.2, but I'd say that would account for maybe 15% of the issues I mentioned above.)
    11-25-13 04:33 AM
    Good tip.

Personally I have ridiculous problems with cursor management on BB10, especially when I'm in an app like BBM or SMS and every time I touch the text editing area it does something I don't want like pops up the keyboard, pops down the keyboard, opens a menu, closes a menu, highlights text I don't want to highlight and won't release it, can't move the tear drop handles, they move to the wrong place, I can't get the edit circle to appear, I can't move the edit circle to the left or right margin, can't get the edit circle to go away, yadda yadda yadda.

(Edit: I currently do most of my text editing on my daily driver which is still on 10.1.0.4828, so SOME of those issues I expect to improve a bit when I upgrade it to 10.2, but I'd say that would account for maybe 15% of the issues I mentioned above.)
    Agree 100%. It's not that big of a deal, but it is annoying. Especially the keyboard popping up / BBM. I hate having to hide it. I saw in the latest beta that some of the options that were only in the side menu are now present even when the keyboard is up. e.g. Attachments. Very good. The more that's always visible, the less reason you have to hide the keyboard.

I find the edit circle works well. I find it easy to get it to appear. and once it appears there's a lot you can do with it. BTW, if you just tap to the left or right, it'll move one character. Took me a while to discover that one. I find the teardrop handles HORRIBLE.

Bottom line: a touchpad-style solution would be great. Some have sneered "Oh, they hated it on the phones, and now they want it", but they're missing the point. The physical implementation of that button I never liked. This is my first smartphone, but I used that button on my kids' phones and it drove me nuts. However, a VIRTUAL implementation of it would be perfect.

This brings up another issue I have with the platform where I think Blackberry has failed (aside from horrible marketing). While they do have tutorials and help for BB10, there are so many features that are completely unknown to the average BB10 user. Most of them do NOT read Crackberry. Two of my kids have Z10's. I'm constantly telling them how to do this and that. But if not for me - they wouldn't even know the phone had those capabilities! It seems odd to people like us, but a lot of people have trouble using BB10 - at the beginning especially. I know of a few professionals who tried the Q10 and returned it to go back to their Bold! That is totally unacceptable. It might be impossible to attract a lot of users from the other camps, but when you have a loyal Blackberry user who finds it too difficult to upgrade to BB10, then something is very wrong. If you cannot convert the faithful - you are in big trouble. My daughter's boss (lawyer in his 50's) returned his Q10 and went back to his Bold. I told her to tell him to try the Z30. But they are hooked on the keyboard, and IMHO the half screen half keyboard hybrid is not a great solution for BB10. So how to bring those people over? A slider?

But the bottom line on all of this is that no matter how many improvements they make to the o/s, it won't make the difference as far as attracting new users. There are precious few reasons to go with Blackberry now. Sad (especially as a shareholder) - but true. Blackberry had three main markets. Now, two of them are gone. Cheap Androids are crushing them in the developing markets, and now that they can get BBM on an Android, there's even more reason to switch. Gone. The NA consumer market, well, we know what happened there. So they are left with: the loyals and people who want something different (that would be me - since I have no need for Android or iphone, why wouldn't I get a BB?), those who have a need for security, and those who like the keyboard. The corporate/security is their last stand, and there is plenty of competition there too.

Forgive the rambling. It's the vodka and SNOW.
    11-26-13 11:16 PM
    Agree 100%. It's not that big of a deal, but it is annoying. Especially the keyboard popping up / BBM. I hate having to hide it. I saw in the latest beta that some of the options that were only in the side menu are now present even when the keyboard is up. e.g. Attachments. Very good. The more that's always visible, the less reason you have to hide the keyboard.

Yep, they did that in email, you no longer have to wait 2 seconds to hide the keyboard (holding spacebar - swiping is too dicey for me, often results in extraneous characters being entered) to add a BCC recipient or attachment, etc.

Baby steps.

I find the edit circle works well. I find it easy to get it to appear. and once it appears there's a lot you can do with it. BTW, if you just tap to the left or right, it'll move one character. Took me a while to discover that one.

Whereas for me I will OFTEN tap on a line repeatedly before the circle appears. I know about the one-char tapping, have you tried to move it to the far left or far right margin? Almost impossible sometimes, as you can't get your finger to the left of it if trying to move to left margin (especially if you have a case with a ridge that is even slightly higher than the display), or the converse if you are working on the right margin.

I find the teardrop handles HORRIBLE.
    They only work for me when the text is in the middle of the display, and does NOT run past a single line or is located near the left or right edge, because in such cases I typically cannot grab the handles or it takes me 5-6 attempts or more before it works. Then once I grab them the selected area moves all over the place for 30 seconds before I can get it where I want.

That is an area where Android beats the bejeezus out of BB10. Text selection is easy-peasy.

Bottom line: a touchpad-style solution would be great. Some have sneered "Oh, they hated it on the phones, and now they want it", but they're missing the point. The physical implementation of that button I never liked. This is my first smartphone, but I used that button on my kids' phones and it drove me nuts. However, a VIRTUAL implementation of it would be perfect.

I agree, and they should at least make it a user-configurable option. Or provide some kind of text-editing API and let 3rd-party developers make them.

Though I think they could probably greatly improve the touch handler if they applied some ingenuity to it. I think it's not smart enough, it needs to do a better job of anticipating what the user is trying to do - ie in cases where the edit handles are so close to the edge of the display it is literally impossible to get your fingertip on top of them. All it would take in such an instance is make the handle near the edge of the display gigantic and point it AWAY from the edge of the screen where you could now grab it. Problem solved.

While they do have tutorials and help for BB10, there are so many features that are completely unknown to the average BB10 user. Most of them do NOT read Crackberry. Two of my kids have Z10's. I'm constantly telling them how to do this and that. But if not for me - they wouldn't even know the phone had those capabilities! It seems odd to people like us, but a lot of people have trouble using BB10 - at the beginning especially.

I agree, I think their documentation and communication with users is horrible. I hope Chen gets a better handle on that.

But they are hooked on the keyboard, and IMHO the half screen half keyboard hybrid is not a great solution for BB10. So how to bring those people over? A slider?

The Q10. Physical keyboard and bigger display than any of the Bolds. Though I admit it still requires you to touch the screen to do certain things, and the touch interface needs more optimization.

I personally like the idea of a slider, but the devil is in the details. Was never very thrilled with the rinkydink keyboard on the Torch. Where is my holographic UI.
    11-26-13 11:57 PM
    If you tap and hold the shift key, the circle pops up

Handy, but just discovered that is a 10.2-only feature. Another reason to upgrade my daily driver to 10.2.
    11-26-13 11:59 PM
    Sorry for necroposting but I didn't get a response on a thread I opened.

Is there a way to prevent my emails from automatically deleting from my Z10? These delete even if I haven't accessed it from my PC
    04-21-14 10:37 AM
    Sorry for necroposting but I didn't get a response on a thread I opened.

Is there a way to prevent my emails from automatically deleting from my Z10? These delete even if I haven't accessed it from my PC

What do you mean precisely by "automatically deleting from my Z10"?

Under what conditions, using which email provider and which email connection protocol?

Also, which OS version (NOT software release version) are you running?
    04-24-14 07:17 AM
    PLEASE CAN WE GET THIS ON THE NEXT OS UPDATE!!!!!

Its so annoying that this option isn't avlialbe -- i want to keep emails in my actual inbox while deleting it from my phone inbox

PLEASE
    This is FINALLY fixed in OS 10.2.1.3175, leaked yesterday.
    05-06-14 03:43 PM
    I am running 10.2.1 and there seems to be an option to delete from handheld and not from server.

So, if I select this and delete ALL my messages from my Blackberry, will none of my messages be deleted from my server and/or laptop/Outlook, including Exchange email accts, IMAP email accts, and Pop3 email accts?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 11:27 AM
765 ... 293031