If I search for the message though, it appears. So it is still on the phone but hidden.
    southlander likes this.
    11-14-13 09:50 PM
    I could be wrong but I think delete from hub is different than what we are talking about here.
    11-14-13 10:24 PM
    Well you get the options delete from hub or delete from hub and server.

It is no longer deleted from device or delete from device and server.

So basically you delete from the hub but not from the device.

I'm not a techie, so please don't attack me. This is just what I observed.
    11-14-13 10:38 PM
    There are no storage limits at all. My concern is that all of that will also be on my phone which could effectively run out.of space.
    Legit concern. Several ideas.

1) Only sync folders on the mobile device that you need to see regularly, this will help greatly. If you want to look at stuff going back 10 yrs do it on the desktop or via webmail.

2) There is a hub setting to "download images automatically". If you turn that off then it should only request images on a particular email if you request to view it after opening the message. If your message traffic is typical, that should save a lot of space too.
    11-14-13 11:12 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Makes sense. So not to make look like I'm talking down new tech, but it wouldn't be folders I would access regularly or not, it would be time frames. All folders would be involved but only the newest. Therefore I think I may still have an issue necessitating some sort of complete re-org of my folder structure. I'm really not reaching to try and complain. I suspect if I can't get this solved, I'll have to bring myself up to date with technology. I feel like a coke addict standing outside the rehab facility trying to decide whether to enter.

If I had my wish, I would love to be able to delete from device and leave on server. As of now, even if I set my phone up on pop3 (imap now) I can't do that. So I guess my question to leak users is, is there an option in 10.2.1 to leave on the server and would that new opting if there is one, actually delete from device in a pop environment or even in pop would it only be hiding?

I known it's heck of a mouthful hut if I could sort this out and we get call blocking, it'll be a good day for me.

This thread is way better as a Q & A than a cage match. Cheers.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my Google iBerry Cranial Implant
    11-15-13 12:06 AM
    True, but that would have been the case with a legacy BlackBerry with "delete on device only" too, because of course the server (based on the way the protocol is designed) has no idea what is "deleted on device" because it's a proprietary feature not supported by the mail protocol itself.
    With legacy BlackBerry you only get new mail on the device so it's a moot point. Granted my experience is only with BES for Lotus Notes (haha I know...it's out if my control) but even personal non-enterprise accounts were the same. When you add an account only new mail will populate the device.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    11-15-13 12:33 AM
    I'm in a similar boat as bubbbab... I have emails going back to 2001 in Outlook.

The phone gives me "60 days" and "forever" as maximum sync options.

I don't need 12 years of email on my phone.
    11-15-13 12:53 AM
    I'm in a similar boat as bubbbab... I have emails going back to 2001 in Outlook.

The phone gives me "60 days" and "forever" as maximum sync options.

I don't need 12 years of email on my phone.
    Have you tried the remote search with 10.2? I use outlook.com for personal and remote search now works. I had mine set to forever but now I'm set to 30 days. (60 days is not an option...not sure if you typo'd there)

I do believe, however, that the mail has to be in the inbox to search. I haven't figured out how to get it to work in a folder whether you enable sync or not.
    11-15-13 10:25 AM
    I have emails going back to 2001 in Outlook.
    Same here. Along with about 4000 contacts, which I do now one way sync to the 9930 along with the calendar
    11-15-13 10:45 AM
    I think it's going to be difficult to implement this properly without bis.
    If the emails are just hidden then there's going to be issues, and obviously it will be a pain to save the list of what's hidden and what's not after a security wipe etc.

I like to keep some old emails on device, but at the moment with all old emails on device my hub takes over 10 mins to initialise on bb10, and because of how poorly the email system is designed on bb10, this means for 10 mins after boot I have no access to any of my mails or messages.

I was hoping this would deal with it but if it's just hideen I have a feeling the long hub boot updelay will persist, which also causes problems for apps like whatsapp.

I hope the next step will be a return of true BlackBerry email, for those who want, and are willing to pay for it. It's sad that all these ways are used to hack into place a system that worked so well, and made money, on legacy.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 11:42 AM
    My biggest disappointment about this and other missing functionalities vs. Legacy is that nobody had any idea what they were walking into at the time of launch. I'm not trying to be cynical but it does seem by design in that regard.

11-15-13 04:53 PM
    Have you tried the remote search with 10.2? I use outlook.com for personal and remote search now works.

Wow, right you are. That never worked on Outlook.com for me, but now it does! They must have changed that in the last month or two.
    11-15-13 09:59 PM
    I think it's going to be difficult to implement this properly without bis.

BIS has nothing to do with it. The message list has always been local to the device, BIS never kept a network database of all your historical emails.

I like to keep some old emails on device, but at the moment with all old emails on device my hub takes over 10 mins to initialise on bb10, and because of how poorly the email system is designed on bb10, this means for 10 mins after boot I have no access to any of my mails or messages.

I don't know where you get this idea that it's so unusual for a smartphone to bog down with tons of locally-stored messages, have you ever tried this on any other platform? That is likely precisely why Blackberry did not initially allow "unlimited" mail visibility on the device. It's a huge overhead if you have an extremely large mail store.

Which, BTW, is precisely why MANY email adminstrators PREVENT people with smartphones from setting the retention setting to "unlimited". Here are the top 3 reasons:

1. Excessive server load
    2. Poor performance on the handheld
    3. High bandwidth/storage usage on the handheld

What BlackBerry should really do is provide a good way to save emails locally on the device, A) without using this limited Remember thing which doesn't save them indefinitely anyway, and B) without using the regular mail store in the Hub. (For performance reasons, and to make it easier to use/export/backup the messages elsewhere. Especially since there is still no granular backup/restore function in BlackBerry Link.)
    11-15-13 10:07 PM
    My biggest disappointment about this and other missing functionalities vs. Legacy is that nobody had any idea what they were walking into at the time of launch. I'm not trying to be cynical but it does seem by design in that regard.

So does that post come under the category of "Q&A" or are we all going to devolve this back into an advocacy thread again?
    11-15-13 10:12 PM
    So does that post come under the category of "Q&A" or are we all going to devolve this back into an advocacy thread again?
    Occasionally we a vent a little. I'm feelin rogue tonight. No we are not all going to devolve this. Just me

11-15-13 10:58 PM
    BIS has nothing to do with it. The message list has always been local to the device, BIS never kept a network database of all your historical emails.

I don't know where you get this idea that it's so unusual for a smartphone to bog down with tons of locally-stored messages, have you ever tried this on any other platform? That is likely precisely why Blackberry did not initially allow "unlimited" mail visibility on the device. It's a huge overhead if you have an extremely large mail store.

Which, BTW, is precisely why MANY email adminstrators PREVENT people with smartphones from setting the retention setting to "unlimited". Here are the top 3 reasons:

1. Excessive server load
    2. Poor performance on the handheld
    3. High bandwidth/storage usage on the handheld

What BlackBerry should really do is provide a good way to save emails locally on the device, A) without using this limited Remember thing which doesn't save them indefinitely anyway, and B) without using the regular mail store in the Hub. (For performance reasons, and to make it easier to use/export/backup the messages elsewhere. Especially since there is still no granular backup/restore function in BlackBerry Link.)
    If you read my post you'd see what I meant by difficulty without bis. Bis only dled new messages from when you set up your phone. Older messages were not hidden on device. I can't help thinking this will be v difficult for BlackBerry to implement big free.

I don't know what other devices you've used, but I used to use a razr I between my 9900 and my z10, dled all my mail history, and never had the sort of boot up delays I'm experiencing on bb10. As I say, if after boot up, it takes 10 mins minimum before you can access or send new mails and texts, something about the way things are programmed has gone v wrong. I've never experienced this on android, delays of that sort before you can actually do anything.
    For 10-15 mins after boot up my bb10 device is pretty much a paperweight productivity wise.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:13 AM
    OK I selected to have it delete only in hub and to keep doing iT when I delete a mail how to I get the selection box to pop up again!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:40 AM
    Unable to get the hang of how this new feature works.

If you set it to delete on hub and delete one email at a time then the mail seems to stay on the server but if you do a bulk delete then they delete on hub and server irrespective of what setting you have used on the device

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 03:04 AM
    Unable to get the hang of how this new feature works.

If you set it to delete on hub and delete one email at a time then the mail seems to stay on the server but if you do a bulk delete then they delete on hub and server irrespective of what setting you have used on the device

Posted via CB10
    One possibility is that this is not a final build of the OS and the feature could still have bugs.

At lease I hope that's the answer because bulk delete from Hub only needs to work the same as individual messages.

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-16-13 06:07 AM
    Hope so as when you do a single mail delete the device prompts you to choose if you want to delete on hub or on hub and server.

When you want to delete a couple of emails at once even the prompt doesn't show.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 07:20 AM
    Somebody can correct me if I�m wrong but I think these two are NOT the same. Can somebody confirm and expand on the differences.

This is what we have been talking about:

"Delete on Handheld" and "Delete in Mailbox"-219911d1384282855t-delete-handheld-delete-mailbox-img_00000029.png

Instead of this:

"Delete on Handheld" and "Delete in Mailbox"-220170d1384320753t-10-2-1-1055-change-log-all-features-i-have-found-so-far-img_00000003.png
    11-16-13 09:16 AM

I don't know what other devices you've used, but I used to use a razr I between my 9900 and my z10, dled all my mail history, and never had the sort of boot up delays I'm experiencing on bb10. As I say, if after boot up, it takes 10 mins minimum before you can access or send new mails and texts, something about the way things are programmed has gone v wrong. I've never experienced this on android, delays of that sort before you can actually do anything.
    For 10-15 mins after boot up my bb10 device is pretty much a paperweight productivity wise.

Posted via CB10
    Android doesn't have the BlackBerry Hub. If you have lots of history the hub needs to process and organise that info. Other devices won't have to do that. I keep 3 months of corp mail, 1 month outlook, twitter, LinkedIn, foursquare, BBM, text, etc (everything possible) in my hub and don't experience unacceptably long boot times. Granted I don't boot my device on a regular basis as it's not necessary but for the value of the hub I am more than happy to give it a few minutes to settle down after a boot.

11-16-13 09:21 AM
    Same thing but instead of using the term handheld they used hub as this is the the current location if all mails

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:22 AM
    If so then why does one offer the Prompt option (as we had previously) while the Hub only offers either or?

Same thing but instead of using the term handheld they used hub as this is the the current location if all mails

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:35 AM
    Mods should really split the 10.2.1 discussion to a new thread. Anyone who hasn't followed this thread from the beginning might be lost / dazed / confused / suicidal by the time they get to this particular discussion.

11-16-13 09:50 AM
765 ... 2728293031