This post probably contributes nothing to the discussion but here goes.

When I first got the z it took me a while to get use to the deleting on both the handheld and sever. I though it would be good to have to option.

Now I've gotten used to filing (gmail).

It's lead to some pros and cons. Things are more organized. Sometimes an email that's not too important gets filed to look at at later and I don't bother as I forget ( hence not to important)

In any case, I guess people will now have the choice.

Can the bickering now stop.

I haven't read all the pages, but from what I have, Omni tech seems to be pretty fair in his comments

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:57 PM
    I hear ya...I don't understand why people have such a hard time with filing either.
    Because I don't want to manually file dozens of emails a day? Sure, I can log into my Shaw webmail interface and set up automatic filing, but there's no IMAP or EAS connection to my PC, so if I file on the server there's no messages to download to the PC.
    11-13-13 06:06 PM
    The point here is certain people can't distinguish the difference between broken and by-design. By saying BB "broke" things, you're spreading non-truths. We are simply trying to educate those who need a little direction due to their misguidance.

Cheers
    We get it. We understand the new design. We also understand that the new design doesn't work for everyone.
    Dr J39 likes this.
    11-13-13 06:09 PM
    I don't think you're getting my point, if one mistake leads to duplication of work, ie deleting, and the other mistake leads to permanently lost data which may include important stuff, which mistake would you rather have?

Posted via CB10
    In the workplace there are backups. There should never be any work data that can be permanently lost or your IT people aren't doing a good job. Like I said I'm not thinking about delete on handheld vs delete on both from a consumer point of view, largely because I'm a BESAdmin not a consumer.

Hey, am I a "prosumer"??? Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 06:29 PM
    I'm happy that this feature will be coming back, but without BIS acting as an intermediary, it's still not going to work fully for me.

When I go home and download my mail, it will be removed from the email server. Because my phone is sync'd to my email server using EAS, I'm guessing the email will disappear from my phone.

This feature doesn't appear to be saving a copy of the email to the phone.
    11-13-13 06:34 PM
    I'm happy that this feature will be coming back, but without BIS acting as an intermediary, it's still not going to work fully for me.

When I go home and download my mail, it will be removed from the email server. Because my phone is sync'd to my email server using EAS, I'm guessing the email will disappear from my phone.

This feature doesn't appear to be saving a copy of the email to the phone.
    Forgive me if you've mentioned why not before but can't you just leave a copy of your mail on the email on the server when you download it at home? (Presumably you're downloading it in to a mail client on a computer?).

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 06:37 PM
    Forgive me if you've mentioned why not before but can't you just leave a copy of your mail on the email on the server when you download it at home? (Presumably you're downloading it in to a mail client on a computer?).
    Because there's only 1GB of storage for my email account. Plus if I was deleting an email from my phone I'd have to think about if my PC had downloaded the message first of not.
    11-13-13 06:52 PM
    Jeez, there's some members in this thread whose technical knowledge I greatly respect and read often. Disappointing to see some of them acting like kindergarten kids. I guess brilliance has its eccentricities.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my GoogleBerry Cranial Implant
    11-13-13 06:59 PM
    Because there's only 1GB of storage for my email account. Plus if I was deleting an email from my phone I'd have to think about if my PC had downloaded the message first of not.
    Hmm but if you only delete from handheld on the Blackberry then it will always still be in the mailbox for you to download it later. And yes you are going to need more mailbox storage to do what you want to do.

Whichever way you look at it by physically moving your mail from your mailbox to what are effectively offline files on your PC that can't sync with or be further downloaded by anything else you are always going to cause your other devices problems.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 08:37 PM
    Well let's get back to discussing the feature and stop the silly banter can we.

The delete on handheld is not working as expected.

When I go home and receive mails on my yahoo or other accounts which I want to delete on handheld but retain on mailbox it's not happening even when the setting is set to delete on handheld only. The mails are deleting on device and mailbox

Only those mails that have actually been seen on the PC will allow delete on handheld and will remain on mailbox.

Please let me know how to delete on handheld only irrespective of what's been seen or not on the PC.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:06 PM
    I'm guessing that running a leak that's months premature is part of your problem.
    11-13-13 11:48 PM
    ...or better yet, just file 'em

(sorry...couldn't resist )

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    11-13-13 11:49 PM
    Any serious replies please.

What's the feedback from others who tries this feature

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:00 AM
    ...or better yet, just file 'em
    Or spend time doing something productive and enjoyable, not manual virtual paperwork.
    11-14-13 12:56 AM
    Or spend time doing something productive and enjoyable, not manual virtual paperwork.

As I have pointed-out many times, all you were doing with your POP/Outlook system was deferring a huge amount of email management on your PC until later.

Filing things as they arrive, throughout the day, with a device that is always with you and thus available whenever you have a spare moment, is to me far more efficient than the "defer all this email organizing stuff until later on my desktop" thing. Once you've filed a message anywhere, it's filed everywhere.

And no more thousands of duplicate messages because you have to bcc everything you send on the handheld or you have no copy of your outgoing correspondence outside of the handheld. Or bcc'ing everything back to yourself in Outlook when you send or reply to something or else it doesn't show up on the handheld and you lose track of what you responded to on the desktop.

To me, that's a huge mess.
    NoAhB0Dy likes this.
    11-14-13 01:52 AM
    Any serious replies please.

What's the feedback from others who tries this feature

Posted via CB10
    Not running a leak so can't help you.
    Hopefully BlackBerry will sort this out by the final release version.
    Suggest you start a new thread asking about this, people ignore this thread now sadly because they come here for info on a feature they love and have a very vocal minority tell them how they're 'doing things wrong' while not really understanding technology or human behaviour. Or social interactions.
    New thread is possibly your best bet of having your issue reach more people.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 01:59 AM
    ...a very vocal minority tell them how they're 'doing things wrong' while not really understanding technology or human behaviour. Or social interactions.

Looking to your right, you will see one of those infamous "wind up merchants" at work.
    11-14-13 02:18 AM
    As I have pointed-out many times, all you were doing with your POP/Outlook system was deferring a huge amount of email management on your PC until later.

Filing things as they arrive, throughout the day, with a device that is always with you and thus available whenever you have a spare moment, is to me far more efficient than the "defer all this email organizing stuff until later on my desktop" thing. Once you've filed a message anywhere, it's filed everywhere.

And no more thousands of duplicate messages because you have to bcc everything you send on the handheld or you have no copy of your outgoing correspondence outside of the handheld. Or bcc'ing everything back to yourself in Outlook when you send or reply to something or else it doesn't show up on the handheld and you lose track of what you responded to on the desktop.

To me, that's a huge mess.
    You're projecting your own needs onto other people again.

I don't spend one minute manually filing things on my pc. It's done automatically. I set up a message rule once and it's set forevwr

I rarely ever need my sent messages on my phone, I only use it to reply to the occasional message and skim I'm coming messages

Eas is designed for corporate user where they need access to their full inbox/outbox on their mobile dwvice, not for home users

Posted from a touch screen phone with no trackpad. Please excuse the poor formatting a.d grammatical and spelling errors.
    11-14-13 02:18 AM

I don't spend one minute manually filing things on my pc. It's done automatically. I set up a message rule once and it's set forevwr

I rarely ever need my sent messages on my phone, I only use it to reply to the occasional message and skim I'm coming messages

Eas is designed for corporate user where they need access to their full inbox/outbox on their mobile dwvice, not for home users

Posted from a touch screen phone with no trackpad. Please excuse the poor formatting a.d grammatical and spelling errors.
    You're asking him to understand other people and how they may be different. I don't think that's possible.

You can't have a discussion with someone who is absolutely convinced they are right and only 'discussing' things with you to try and show you how you're wrong. It's pointless.

Some people derive pleasure from pretending they're smarter than they are on the internet, and for that self image to stick they have to tell everyone else they're idiots for not thinking the same way as these 'great thinkers'.

I think it's very telling that the majority of people posting here are happy that true sync is an option, but would like the iconic BlackBerry way as an option as well.

The small minority are very busy telling everyone else that only their way is perfect and everyone else is stupid for wanting something different. It's actually quite sad.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:24 AM
    I think Omni tech is probably quite smart on a technical level, he just doesn't understand that not all users fit into the single EAS mold.

11-14-13 02:29 AM
    Re: Delete from hand held, or delete from server.

I don't want someone telling me what is "better." I have a government that does that already. I want the options (that worked before) that make my life easier for me, not in someone else imagination of what I need.
    Last edited by Dr J39; 11-14-13 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Added header
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-14-13 02:41 AM
    I think Omni tech is probably quite smart on a technical level, he just doesn't understand that not all users fit into the single EAS mold.

What seems to be becoming clear to me is something someone told me a long time ago. It's no good just being smart, or dumb. If you tell people you're smart long enough, they'll actually start to believe it, whether it's true or not.
    Everyone's a tech guru on the internet, where wikipedia and Google are just clicks away.

But to not even understand that different people have different ways they like to get things done? That not everyone fits in one mould? That people don't like being told that their way is wrong when it's just different? I can't understand how people can be so self involved they can't even process that different people are different. Especially when they're supposedly a BlackBerry fan.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:56 AM
    [QUOTE=I haven't read all the pages, but from what I have, Omni tech seems to be pretty fair in his comments

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Omni tech is one of those people who think that their way is the only way, and that to think otherwise makes one stupid. Sorry, but I really don't need some know it all to tell me what is best for me. Some people are vegans, others like steak. It's called personal choice.
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-14-13 02:58 AM
    Omni tech is one of those people who think that their way is the only way, and that to think otherwise makes one stupid. Sorry, but I really don't need some know it all to tell me what is best for me. Some people are vegans, others like steak. It's called personal choice.

Your reading comprehension must not be very good then, because I have repeatedly pointed-out in this thread that I have no issue with having such an option, and have repeatedly pointed-out that it is my personal opinion in cases where I think something is more or less efficient, and have made it clear when appropriate when something is working against the way certain protocols were designed to operate. (Which is generally why the entire rest of the world implement them in that way.)

If someone really has a need to play the unappreciated and oppressed hero of the lowly tech peasantry, don't go blaming me for that affliction. I'm not the "wind up merchant" here.
    11-14-13 07:57 AM
    Please see the parts above where I say "to me" and "in my opinion". Such phrases appear in abundance in my posts. Why you seem to think I am somehow imposing something on you or telling you you cannot do something is coming out of thin air.

I will also sometimes correct people like Auckland when they make hyperbolic and incorrect statements such as claiming BlackBerry is "breaking things" that are not "broken" by any known technological standard or metric.
    11-14-13 08:05 AM
765 ... 2526272829 ...