I think having the choice again is a good thing, choice is good, especially when it gives BB10 a unique feature allowing you to turn to an iPhone, Android or Windows Phone user and say 'your phone can't do that'.

However I hope that delete on handheld doesn't become the default setting as it was in BBOS. In my role as a BESAdmin at work I was forever having to change that setting for the people who were puzzled as to why deleting on the phone didn't delete from the mailbox which was for the majority of users. It should be an option that can be enabled, or the prompt should be an option that can be enabled but the default setting should be to delete on both handheld and server in line with the rest of the smartphone world.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you on the bit about having something no one else has.
    Disagree with you on everything else.

People moving to bb10 from legacy permanently deleted a lot of emails assuming it was like the old system. If there is a default, it should do the minimum damage, ie delete on handheld only, with the max damage option to delete on handheld and server being something users have to choose. Better deleting twice to start with than losing important emails.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 06:54 AM
    I agree with you on the bit about having something no one else has.
    Disagree with you on everything else.

People moving to bb10 from legacy permanently deleted a lot of emails assuming it was like the old system. If there is a default, it should do the minimum damage, ie delete on handheld only, with the max damage option to delete on handheld and server being something users have to choose. Better deleting twice to start with than losing important emails.

Posted via CB10
    And for people who aren't moving to BB10 from BBOS but another OS where deleting always deletes on both?

This is one of those situations where it can't be perfect for everybody. Also my view is from the point of view of a workplace on BES not a consumer's point of view. For the majority of people dealing with work email Delete on Handheld wastes their time because they have to do it again later on their Mailbox.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad the setting to Delete on Handheld is coming, I've been a supporter of it, some people in the workplace find it's the way they want to work, just not the majority.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:21 AM
    And for people who aren't moving to BB10 from BBOS but another OS where deleting always deletes on both?

This is one of those situations where it can't be perfect for everybody. Also my view is from the point of view of a workplace on BES not a consumer's point of view. For the majority of people dealing with work email Delete on Handheld wastes their time because they have to do it again later on their Mailbox.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad the setting to Delete on Handheld is coming, I've been a supporter of it, some people in the workplace find it's the way they want to work, just not the majority.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you're getting my point, if one mistake leads to duplication of work, ie deleting, and the other mistake leads to permanently lost data which may include important stuff, which mistake would you rather have?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:41 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why it is so difficult for some people to understand why someone would not want to keep emails on their phone, but have them on their PC.
    I hear ya...I don't understand why people have such a hard time with filing either.

Agree to disagree I gueas....

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    11-13-13 07:52 AM
    Meh. The only thing important is that BB understands which they seem to!
    11-13-13 07:58 AM
    I hear ya...I don't understand why people have such a hard time with filing either.

Agree to disagree I gueas....

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    I understand both perspectives. Is it really so impossible to offer both filing and leave on/off capability?

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my GoogleBerry Cranial Implant
    11-13-13 10:00 AM
    I understand both perspectives. Is it really so impossible to offer both filing and leave on/off capability?

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my GoogleBerry Cranial Implant
    Technically yes. EAS is a sync mechanism. If you have 5 devices and you delete on one, by definition it should delete in all 5 locations.
    What BB is offering in 10.2.1 appears to be a "bandaid" to break something that is not broken.

To the proponents of this feature, if you have 5 devices and you delete on one handheld, do you want those deletions to occur on the other 4 devices? Maybe your answer will be in your desktop client no, but what about the other 3? Do you want to clean mail in 4 devices? Not likely. In fact, you'll probably want the deletion on device 1 to sync to the other 3.

You can't have it both ways.
    11-13-13 10:36 AM
    Technically yes. EAS is a sync mechanism. If you have 5 devices and you delete on one, by definition it should delete in all 5 locations.
    What BB is offering in 10.2.1 appears to be a "bandaid" to break something that is not broken.

To the proponents of this feature, if you have 5 devices and you delete on one handheld, do you want those deletions to occur on the other 4 devices? Maybe your answer will be in your desktop client no, but what about the other 3? Do you want to clean mail in 4 devices? Not likely. In fact, you'll probably want the deletion on device 1 to sync to the other 3.

You can't have it both ways.
    What BlackBerry is offering is to fix what was broken in bb10, the inability to delete messages on handheld only.

Since they don't make any other devices I don't see the rest of your post as a genuine issue.

Personally, I don't mind if my changes affect only the one handheld device, I can keep what I want on whichever devices I want.

Why why why can't people let other people use their devices how they want. What a strange strange world.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 10:52 AM
    What BlackBerry is offering is to fix what was broken in bb10, the inability to delete messages on handheld only.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. Look at this from a technical perspective. Not social. They did not break anything.

/facepalm
    11-13-13 11:28 AM
    Until the time comes that BBRY comes to their senses and give us the option to choose to delete or not to delete. Which may, or may not happen.
    In the mean time there is a perfectly good substitute in "K9 email client" where you will have the option.
    And tons of other tweaks as well
    and it's free so there is nothing to lose in giving it a trial run
    11-13-13 12:19 PM

Since they don't make any other devices I don't see the rest of your post as a genuine issue.

Personally, I don't mind if my changes affect only the one handheld device, I can keep what I want on whichever devices I want.

Why why why can't people let other people use their devices how they want. What a strange strange world.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry didn't break anything in BB10, but it's not surprising to hear people like you say such drivel. You're the kind of person that most likely believes that the rest of the world (which is the majority, by the way) must be doing it wrong if we want all our devices sync'ed.

In reality, this "feature" actually is just a bandaid fix for the few loud proponents that most likely don't sync on more than 2 devices; their BlackBerry and a computer.

Why why why can't people admit that the rest of the world that uses true 2-way sync isn't wrong and that there isn't anything wrong with the EAS and IMAP standards.

Choices are good, but to claim you want to keep what you want on what device you want just shows that you either don't have more than 2 devices, or don't get the amount of work (read important) email and have an overabundance of time to sort out all those unimportant emails you must recieve.

Edit: I knew you're name was familiar. You're the same person that said to me that BIS was the only real push email not long ago. Now I'm starting to see you're one of those legacy users that just didn't want BlackBerry to change anything at all.
    11-13-13 01:05 PM
    Please please STOP! I subscribed to this thread for facts about this feature and I'm damn sick of having to come here a few times a day to hear the arrogant preaching from the same few!

Many missed this feature. Period! BB listened and seemed to being offering it again. Period! No body and I mean NOBODY cares that you disagree. Repeating over and over again will not make us care any more. Despite what mommy may have told you, your way is not the only way. Get over it please!!!!!!!!
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-13-13 01:21 PM
    Please please STOP! I subscribed to this thread for facts about this feature and I'm damn sick of having to come here a few times a day to hear the arrogant preaching from the same few!

Many missed this feature. Period! BB listened and seemed to being offering it again. Period! No body and I mean NOBODY cares that you disagree. Repeating over and over again will not make us care any more. Despite what mommy may have told you, your way is not the only way. Get over it please!!!!!!!!
    The point here is certain people can't distinguish the difference between broken and by-design. By saying BB "broke" things, you're spreading non-truths. We are simply trying to educate those who need a little direction due to their misguidance.

Cheers
    11-13-13 01:27 PM
    Feature verified working on 10.2.1.1055.
    This thread is as good as done, done and done.

Yet it isn't. Imagine that.

It should be an option that can be enabled, or the prompt should be an option that can be enabled but the default setting should be to delete on both handheld and server in line with the rest of the smartphone world.

Agreed.

Nothing was "broken". The original feature was designed as a workaround for people stuck with the limitations of POP3, which was prevalent at the time that feature was designed, probably 7+ years ago.

POP3 is no longer prevalent, most people today are using multiple devices accessing the same email accounts and want their email to be synchronized.

What Blackberry is really doing is adding-back a UI feature that Blackberry traditionalists had gotten used-to.

Nothing wrong with having more features*, but the majority of the people today don't work that way.

*(Clearly when BB10 was being conceptualized and finalized, the philosophy was to take away "confusing options" and try to ape the Apple model. However it's rather obvious that in the last month or two, as the fate of Blackberry increasingly stood in the balance, Blackberry announced a re-focus on "professional" users and it probably was increasingly clear that the old regime - and CEO - would go, it seems that someone made a decision to start giving the Blackberry traditionalists a bunch of the things they had been asking-for and clamoring-about since BB10 was released earlier this year. This was obviously one of those features.)

Edit: I knew you're name was familiar. You're the same person that said to me that BIS was the only real push email not long ago. Now I'm starting to see you're one of those legacy users that just didn't want BlackBerry to change anything at all.

The few, the loud, the irascible...
    11-13-13 01:33 PM
    Many missed this feature. Period!

Pity that in reality, that "many" was probably less than 10% of the active userbase. If that.

No body and I mean NOBODY cares that you disagree. Repeating over and over again will not make us care any more. Despite what mommy may have told you, your way is not the only way. Get over it please!!!!!!!!

This "mommy" business doesn't exactly reflect your argument in a flattering light.

And the "my way or the highway" attitude has been evident from the traditionalists from the start. Even after being informed that what they are asking is ACTUALLY the "broken" way to build a syncing email interface, because "syncing" implies "synchronized between all endpoints". Only for POP does this UI design make much sense if you want to get philosophical about it.
    11-13-13 01:38 PM
    Really? You are quibbling over a stupid word? Broken. Left out. Changed. Who cares? What kind of person cares about such silliness? Leave it be! Allow the world to not think your way is the only right way. STOP!!!!!!!!!!

The point here is certain people can't distinguish the difference between broken and by-design. By saying BB "broke" things, you're spreading non-truths. We are simply trying to educate those who need a little direction due to their misguidance.

Cheers
    11-13-13 01:40 PM
    STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, in other words: "My way or the highway".

Gotcha.
    11-13-13 01:42 PM
    There must be a reason for the none stop know it all bulling. If not mommy issues than it maybe compensation for other things. Either way I don't care.

There is obvious enough people so that BB spent the effort to FIX (yeah, I said it) this issue. But fen if I was the only one who missed it I'm still happy it's coming back. As I said before, this and the lack of apps were the only reason I did not upgrade to the Q10. I've endured the preaching in this thread with hopes of good news which finally came.

But now it's time to move on and preach to a different church. Thank you!

Pity that in reality, that "many" was probably less than 10% of the active userbase. If that.

This "mommy" business doesn't exactly reflect your argument in a flattering light.

And the "my way or the highway" attitude has been evident from the traditionalists from the start. Even after being informed that what they are asking is ACTUALLY the "broken" way to build a syncing email interface, because "syncing" implies "synchronized between all endpoints". Only for POP does this UI design make much sense if you want to get philosophical about it.
    11-13-13 01:47 PM
    No body and I mean NOBODY cares that you disagree.

Stop lying.
    11-13-13 01:47 PM
    Really? You are quibbling over a stupid word? Broken. Left out. Changed. Who cares? What kind of person cares about such silliness? Leave it be! Allow the world to not think your way is the only right way. STOP!!!!!!!!!!
    You're wasting your time. Some people are so far up their own backside that they feel the need to harp on and on about other people not doing things right constantly instead of respecting other people's choices.

BlackBerry has seen the error of their ways and offered what they should have offered from the start and I for one am thrilled. I'm sure many others are too.

Some people will keep harping on about how choices are bad and it's not needed etc etc and try to annoy everyone. Just ignore it, not worth the effort. It's mostly a few known wind up merchants with limited technical knowledge and very pushy attitudes.
    Luckily despite the noise and distractions from a vocal minority of BlackBerry users who said this wasn't needed, BlackBerry has seen the majority of their users love this feature and are bringing it back, so Yay.

Posted via CB10
    torpesco likes this.
    11-13-13 01:50 PM
    There must be a reason for the none stop know it all bulling.

Well let's see, you have repeatedly demanded that people stop exercising their right to comment here. You have posted lies such as "nobody cares" when clearly some people do. And then you have the audacity of claiming people who simply disagree with you are "bulling" (I assume you mean "bullying") others? ROFL

If not mommy issues than it maybe compensation for other things. Either way I don't care.

Well I would respectfully suggest you start caring, especially when you go on your high-horse accusing people of things like "bulling".

But now it's time to move on and preach to a different church. Thank you!

I suggest you stop reading the thread then. You got your feature, what is your reason to keep posting here and telling people who have a different POV that they can't express that?
    11-13-13 01:51 PM
    Wow, this guy is amazing. A total riot, can't stop myself from just laughing; perhaps it's because I have "mommy issues", lol!!!
    11-13-13 01:52 PM
    You're wasting your time. Some people are so far up their own backside that they feel the need to harp on and on about other people not doing things right constantly instead of respecting other people's choices.

Actually some people are simply more correct about what a synchronizing email technology is supposed to do, and are pointing that out.

Because, in fact, there is no such thing as "deleting on handheld" when it comes to IMAP and EAS. What is actually happening is "hiding". And that "breaks" - to use your own term - the concept of a synchronizing email technology. It leads to a disconnect between the perception of messages in an account versus what messages are actually in that account.

I have said repeatedly that I don't care if this is offered as an option, I just know that the former way is not "broken", it was in fact "correct" for any email protocol that BB10 supports in its native email feature other than POP3.

It's mostly a few known wind up merchants with limited technical knowledge and very pushy attitudes.

I'd love to see who you think these "wind up merchants" are, and I will be GLAD to challenge you to an extensive test of technical knowledge any day of the week. I conclude you must have been referring to yourself there, instead. Either that, or just massively deluded.

BlackBerry has seen the majority of their users love this feature and are bringing it back

Posting "facts" not in evidence. Show your support for how the "majority of users love this feature". I'll wager you $100 right now that you cannot do it.
    11-13-13 01:59 PM
    As I said I'm subscribed to learn if this fix will ever be offered. Now that it is I'm waiting to learn when it will be released or any new INFO about it. Every time I get a email confirmation of a new post here I click and most times I'm disappointed to see the same few spewing the same.

Hell, maybe we should all just laugh at how many times you guys can explain to us morons how things are suppose to be. Maybe another lesson on how the different email options work? It's been a few minutes and some of us have already forgotten.
    11-13-13 02:07 PM
    As I said I'm subscribed to learn if this fix will ever be offered. Now that it is I'm waiting to learn when it will be released or any new INFO about it. Every time I get a email confirmation of a new post here I click and most times I'm disappointed to see the same few spewing the same.

Hell, maybe we should all just laugh at how many times you guys can explain to us morons how things are suppose to be. Maybe another lesson on how the different email options work? It's been a few minutes and some of us have already forgotten.
    Just enjoy the fact that BlackBerry recognises what it's users want.
    Everyone's a tech expert on the internet!
    Can't wait for 10.2 to bring back this iconic BlackBerry feature.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:02 PM
765 ... 2425262728 ...